Anyone feel this way around this time?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 8, 2012

Hi All,

I feel like I haven't covered enough and have miles to go before our State test in April. I plan on spending time over the break getting everything mapped out from after the break to testing time. I think I feel a little more pressed for time this year because 5th is tested in reading and writing, whereas in 6th we were just tested in reading. With everything going on in November and December - breaks, programs, etc. - it feels like I didn't get as much accomplished during these two months as I should have. :(

3. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Dec 8, 2012

Not Yet

I was just thinking today that I should be a little stressed out about testing by now, but for some reason it hasn't hit me yet, and our state testing is in the first week of March! I'm sure the feeling will strike me soon. At least I hope so!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 8, 2012

I don't even know what "covering enough" means in Special Ed. I'm trying to move a little faster. It's hard.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

I usually don't feel the stress of state testing. I teach my curriculum and follow my pacing guide (with some student pacing involved), so I know that I've covered what needs to be covered.

This year, I have no state testing requirements and I'm loving it.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Our reading test is in February! My grade level is pretty much in full "panic mode" right now. I teach in the lowest SES district in the city. Our scores in the past have been very low. We're on year 4 of turnaround status. The pressure is unbelievable. On top of that, my class just did really, really well on MAPS testing, which is great, but now everyone is expecting me to pull off some miracle with state testing because of that. I'm not sure how well they correlate. Many students that "passed" MAPS do not pass classroom tests and I'm not convinced it wasn't just luck. I am even feeling huge pressure from my grade level teammates, one of whom told me last week that I was going to be "the one to save us all." 3rd grade testing is the only grade level that will get results back while school is still in session, so we're going to be the ones everyone is looking to for results too...

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 9, 2012

I am always in a stressed mode when it comes to state testing. In Ohio, 5th grade is tested in reading,math and science. On top of making sure I am covering what needs to be covered, we are constantly talking about the change over to CC and the need to start implementing bits of it this year. The pressure is overwhelming.

8. Marylander

Marylander Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

A little stressed and pressed for time? I think anyone in the classroom is feeling it this year. I'm so sick of all the nonsense that I've decided to retire this year. Sad that I won't be teaching with my kids anymore, but overjoyed that I'll never have to deal with Common Core or mandated testing ever again. I hope I'm wrong, but I see trouble ahead for American public education. Over the last decade I've questioned anyone who's expressed a desire to teach. It takes more hard work and dedication than most people realize.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 10, 2012

I am feeling stressed about our upcoming MAP testing. We only have 2 weeks until winter break, and our students take the tests the week after we return. Teacher scores are posted, and teachers are compared to one-another. I have the "low class," so I'm sure my scores will be the worst, yet again.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 10, 2012

What does your school count as passing MAP for 3rd grade reading and math? Just curious. I think last year we shot for around 190.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2012

They were trying to push us towards the spring benchmark which is 200. The "real" winter benchmark is 187. My grade level compromised and said anything above 193 was proficient. By those standards, I started the year with 2 proficient and now have 15 proficient with several others close behind in the low 190's/high 180's. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled with my scores, but I have a very low class. Based on classroom data I'd say 50% are on grade level. I'm not sure how they did so well on MAPS. My only theory is that it's all multiple choice, which of course the state test is not.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 10, 2012

State testing is in early May.

This year's group of kiddos is extremely bright! They're soaking up everything I'm teaching, so I'm really excited to see how they'll perform on the CST.