Anyone familiar with the Goddard School?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs. McAuley, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mrs. McAuley

Mrs. McAuley Rookie

Feb 25, 2008

Good Morning!

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the Goddard School and if so, what do you think? Is it a nice place to work for, how is the salary, staff turnover, do the staff dress smart or is it jeans & sneakers?

Any information appreciated, thanks!

3. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Feb 25, 2008

Goddard School

Hi,

I have never worked there, but we have had children come to our school from the Goddard School. The children are academically behind in all cases, many have parents who have complained of their children being beaten up at school. I don't believe they are very curriculum based, so there may be a lot of free time at the preschool level.

I have heard that they close down for one or two weeks at Christmas (with pay) but have also heard from people who have worked there prior to arriving at our school that it is not a very good school.

Hope this helps.

4. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

Hello,
    I worked for The Goddard School and I thought it was a very good school.
    It is curriculum based. There is a curriculum clear down to the infant level. There is a theme for each month and the teachers plan lessons based on that theme. In Pre-K and kindergarten, the curriculum includes early literacy skills. The morning was the pre-school time and consisted of structured group time, both large and small, and center time with activities based on the theme and handwriting practice. The afternoon, after nap, was less structured but still included a circle time. The afternoon was more geared for free choice though.
    I worked there right after I obtained my teaching license and I thought the kids were academically ahead of many kids their age. My pre-school class could identify the president on each coin, identify the coin and it's value, and could name the current president. They also had many other skills that my kindergarteners now(at a parochial school) are having a hard time grasping!
    We taught them Spanish and sign language as well. Sign language started in the infant room and continued up through each classroom.
    Overall, I think this school is a really nice school to work for! It is small, so you get to know the staff and all of the students really well. The atmosphere is very welcoming and the safety of the children is of utmost priority. Every school adheres to very strict quality assurance standards that include the physical aspects of the facility as well as the safety issues for the children and staff.
    The salary was not bad. The benefits, at least at my school, left little to be desired though. Staff turnover at my school was fairly low while I was there.
    The dress consisted of a uniform for staff. We wore Khaki pants and a polo shirt with the Goddard emblem on it. Fridays were jeans day with a uniform shirt.
    At Christmas, most of the schools only close for a week from Christmas eve. to New Year's day.
    I think if you are considering working there, you won't be disappointed in your experience. This is a chain though, so I'm sure different schools vary in some ways. However, they all adhere to the same quality assurance standards and they all follow the curriculum.

5. Mrs. McAuley

Mrs. McAuley Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

Thanks for the great replies, I really appreciate it!

6. userlls

userlls New Member

Feb 27, 2008

Goddard is Great!

I work in private school admissions, and the children that apply to us from Goddard are prepared for Kindergarten. This is the reason I send my own children there! They have a wonderful academic program. The environment is loving and nurturing. I am so happy with my Goddard, in Roswell, GA. :)

7. lisadanelle

lisadanelle New Member

Oct 6, 2008

I love The Goddard School. I work there currently and I would have to say that our kids are definitely right on track or even ahead of themselves academically. I work with one year olds and they are very smart. We do teach the kids Spanish and English. There is curriculum based learning in the mornings, and after nap there is story time, free play, and structured play. All of the children at Goddard are cared for equally by all of the teachers and all of the teachers/staff and children know and trust each other. It is a great place a work, by far the best place in my opinion.:wub:

8. pdhismyhomeboy

pdhismyhomeboy New Member

Dec 28, 2010

Goddard Response

As a staff member at Goddard School, I think the institution goes above and beyond the expectations of any other preschool in the area. It is a fantastic environment with great pay and benefits as far as in comparison to other schools in the area. The salary really depends on your experience. Do you have a bachelors in early child education or teaching certification? As for the staff turnover, I've only been there less than a year, but many of my coworkers have been at Goddard since it's opening nearly 8 years ago. Apparel is provided in the form of a Goddard polo, and you are required to wear khakis and sneakers. It's really a fantastic environment for any teachers without the political or sociological stresses of working in a publicly run facility. Hope this helps.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I think that the quality of any day care depends upon the director.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

The son of a colleague goes to a Goddard and my friend loves it.

11. Kristin Kray

Kristin Kray New Member

Jan 31, 2017

I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (EC-4),have an Associate degree in Early Childhood, and have current Texas State Certifications. Does anyone have an idea of what a possible salary would be for a lead pre-kindergarten teacher with my qualifications and experience? I am a single mom and need an idea of what a possible salary would be before accepting possible position as have had horrible luck at all other private school/daycare offers and am qualified for position. Really concerned as I have no clue what the salary offer could be or benifits. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 31, 2017

For daycares, it varies between minimum wage to maybe $15/hr if you're lucky. It all depends on the owner.
    Most nicer daycares will average $12-14/hour for lead teachers
    I had 2 friends who worked in a Goddard in 2 different states. Both have a Bachelors in Education with teacher certification. One made $11/hr and the other made $14/hr.
    They both eventually got jobs in public schools so they left Goddard

13. Kristin Kray

Kristin Kray New Member

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you for the input. I was offered a position at another school as they needed someone to fix issues and prepare kids for Kindergarten and make parents happy and only offered me $12. As a single mom I need more than that. The Goddard school I am supposed to be interviewing at required a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, an Associate degree in Early Childhood, State Certifications and at least 4 years experience. In your opinion do you think that might help with a higher pay offer with her mandatory qualifications? I am concerned as very qualified and have had bad luck at all other private school offers. I thought her job posting might be hopeful than the other ones. Thoughts?

14. Kristin Kray

Kristin Kray New Member

Jan 31, 2017

15. Kristin Kray

Kristin Kray New Member

Jan 31, 2017

Please read new post response. I intended to reply to you and accidentally made new post in response. Thanks

16. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 1, 2017

Well yes. With all those mandatory qualifications, you should be getting more, but remember this is a DAYCARE first and foremost, so the pay is going to be low. You can try to negotiate. Maybe they offered you a low number because they're expecting you to negotiate and they'll end up paying you more