Anyone familiar with Journeys??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Aug 20, 2013

We have adopted Journeys Houghton Mifflin this year and I can't find what we use to assign a reading level to the students. The TE has reading levels listed but I am getting frustrated searching the website and not finding what to use to get the reading level.

If anyone has any help, it would be appreciated.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

I used it a couple of years ago... What reading levels do you mean? Are you referring to shapes that stand for above, on, and below? Or do you mean actual F&P reading levels? For the shapes, I just used my judgment regarding whether I considered each student to be on, above, or below.

4. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Aug 20, 2013

I guess I mean the F & P levels (or these the letters?) or lexile (no clue where this comes from) (I was trained on QRI-5 in my reading endorsement, which our county does not use, but tells you the grade level). I figured the materials would be included. I can't find any of it anywhere. I guess I can go with your way. I can already tell who is above, on, or below. But the OCD part of me wants to get the letter or lexile

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

We always used the Fountas & Pinnell BAS (Benchmark Assessment System) to get the reading level for each student... or the fall, winter, and spring benchmark anyway. This was a totally separate purchase from Journeys. I don't recall Journeys coming with anything to assess reading level. It did come with differentiated materials, which is what I was referring to when I mentioned the shapes. Based on my knowledge of each students' reading level from the BAS and from my anecdotal records during guided reading, I would determine if a student was on, above, or below grade-level. I would then assign the the materials with the shape that represented their performance level. I carried the use of the shapes over into my centers, too. A student who was a "triangle", for example, did the Journeys triangle worksheets and also did the triangle centers.

I understand wanting to know the exact level. I like knowing that stuff, too. I'm not familiar with QRI-5. Does this give you a reading level? If not, does your school have a DRA kit or anything else unrelated to Journeys that you can use to assess reading level?

6. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Aug 20, 2013

My district just adopted Journeys, we are using DRAs to find the reading level.

7. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 20, 2013

This will be our fourth year with Journeys. Our reading scores have gone way up in the last two years. We do use the leveled readers but we base that more on Dibels scores than specific level. I must say I think it's a very thorough series, but I don't really like the leveled readers as much as our older ones which had better stories in the leveled books. Best of luck to you!

8. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Aug 22, 2013

The QRI-5 tells you the grade level and whether or not the student struggles with implicit and/or explicit comprehension in narrative and/or expository text.

Our school does not have a DRA kit or anything that I am aware of, so I guess I will stick to QRI-5. Thanks for the input :). I was making myself crazy searching for something that isn't there!