Anyone familiar with how NYSED or the NYC Dept. of Ed: Out-of-state online M.Ed.s

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CTSpaEngTeach, Feb 14, 2015.

1. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

HI! I have tried calling both NYSED and the NYCDE regarding an issue that I have, and in both cases it seemed that the people who replied were not exactly sure about what to tell me. That's why I come here, hoping that maybe some of you who teach in NY can help.

I am completing an online Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (with a K-12 Spanish licensure) through Montana State University. So far so good. I am planning to eventually move to NYC and "transfer" (reciprocity) the licensure. However, the NYC Dept. of Education site has this page [http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/DHR/TeacherPrincipalSchoolProfessionals/Salary/Salary+Differential+Eligibility.htm, which talks about what kind of credits are eligible to determine, once you are hired by the school district, what your salary steps/differentials category will be. This is the section that confuses/concerns me:

What type of academic credit does not qualify for the various differentials?
    The following types of courses are not acceptable: [ . . . ]
    • Online/Internet courses with the following exceptions: Only distance education (online) programs that are offered by accredited New York State institutions and approved by NYSED are accepted. An individual who enrolls in a program offered in New York that is not NYSED-approved may not be eligible for state or federal student financial aid and thus cannot use that program to qualify for New York State teacher certification or other professional licensure or New York City salary increments.

I could be wrong (I hope so!), but what I get from this is that no credits that I earn online (except for those from NY institutios) can be used for this, which means that an online degree from Montana would be useless for this or any NY teaching purpose? Am I missing something here? Has anyone here gotten their licensure from an online college not in NY and then moved to NY? I am soooo confused. I would be eternally grateful for any help...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

Will you be licensed in another state before applying for a NY license?

4. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

Hi, czacza; thanks for replying.
    Yep...I'll get a Montana license.
    The way in which the section of the NYC.gov site is phrased scares me. Makes me think that my online M.Ed. will be useless. I am completely wrong? Hope so!

5. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Feb 15, 2015

Look up the state reciprocity for Montana and NY. It's better to just get NYS certification. NYC is notoriously hard to get once you have another state license.

I have a degree from a school out of state. I used the individual pathway evaluation (took forever) because out of state schools can't recommend you for a certification. They don't offer the individual pathway anymore, so I would suggest contacting them to be sure. As far as I know, the ME.D won't be useless because if it is from a regionally accredited institution.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 15, 2015

I think, and I may be wrong, but this section is about differentials. Meaning when you want to add credits like a masters or above a masters for a pay raise. It doesn't have anything to do with certification, that's a whole different animal. If NYS accepts your degree and cert from Montana, you shouldn't worry. However I know for a fact you'll have to take some of our tests and workshops to get a cert here that's not temporary.

What that quote most likely refers to is teachers already in the system trying to apply for differentials by taking online courses that probably have nothing to do with education at "shady" online universities.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 15, 2015

As a side note, you may want to look into the NYC Teaching Fellows program for Spanish/Bilingual Education. I think the Masters is subsidized (not sure) but they will issue you a temporary cert while you take classes and teach at the same time.

8. taylornathaniel

taylornathaniel Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

This section is for salary differentials, not out of state transfer certification. The information you posted focuses on credits that cannot be used for a salary increase/differential. However, I am not sure how the certification transfer part works with NYC.

Furthermore, for the poster that suggested the OP apply for the teacher fellow, he will be considered ineligible since he is already in a masters program in education/pathway to certification.