Anyone excited about the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 6, 2008.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

I am excited to watch some of the opening ceremonies, some of the diving, some of the gymnastics and some of the track and field.

I remember last time we had a Summer Olympics I had just moved to Chicago and all of my stuff was in storage in Wisconsin still because I didn't have a permanent residence yet. I went out to Sears and bought a small 13 inch tv, carried it home on the Red Line and watch some olympics with my very fuzzy NBC signal.

Wow I hadn't even started my first teaching job yet-- seems like ages ago!

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I am planning to watch it. It will be nice to have something new on. Hoping Phelps and the swimmer in her 40's do well. I hope it all goes off without a hitch.
    We had the winter Olympics where I live in 2002. It was exciting, a lot of hassle, but we still have facilities from it and they are open to the public. In fact my son works at the ski jumping hill.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

They are trying to get the olympics in Chicago for 2016- I have mixed emotions about it. It would be cool to have it, but people fear it will and already has been taking away local funding from education, public transportation and the park district. We shall see.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Me! Me! :) I love watching the gymnastics...and I usually catch other parts here and there.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

Me, me!! I love the Olympics!!! I will be sure to watch the opening ceremonies, swimming, diving, gymnastics, and some track and field.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

I love the Olympics--we'll be watching the opening ceremonies, swimming, track, gymnastics, women's soccer, basketball, volleyball, diving and probably everything else that's on! I'm going to have my VCR set so that I can record some of the athlete spotlights and interviews.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2008

I started an Olympics thread in July, but I guess it was too early. Not many people posted. I'm so looking forward to it! Yeah, this Friday is IT! :D I love the sports you never would see otherwise, such as rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, & others, but I'm a huge tennis fan!

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Yes, I am looking forward to the Olympics. My son is leaving for China on 'Saturday. He will be traveling to different destinations in China and Beijing/Olympics is one of them. They will only be there one day. Tickets are quite expensive. I enjoy gymnastics, swimming, and track & field.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2008

How fabulous! One of these years, I want to see the Olympics live in whatever country they'll be holding it in when I decide to go!

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

He is going through his university. College has changed a great deal over the years!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2008

I'll say! What an experience!

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I amaze myself with some of the events I wind up watching. This year, I might catch most of them since I have no teaching job yet.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

My son is planning to go to the games in Vancouver in 2010. He was hoping to apply as a volunteer, but missed the age cut-off by 3 months. :(

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2008

That's too bad!

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

I am excited about watch the events, but I have to tell ya', I'm so sick of the olympic song thing they keep doing on NBC allllll morning through the Today show everytime they come back from a commercial. It's been going on for weeks now!!
    That being said, I love gymnastics, swimming, and diving. My husband wants to DVR the whole thing....lol

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2008

I'm only kind of excited. I get more psyched about the winter Olympics. Aside from gymnastics, the summer games don't have any sports that I always look forward to watching. I'm rather interested in the basketball team USA has this time b/c Coach K from Duke is coaching, and I really like him. Equestrian in kind of neat, as is diving. The others I couldn't care less about.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I like to watch the Olympics and having met some Olympians it is exciting (some hockey players and a runner or two)
    We almost had two local girls in the Olympics but only one made the trials, Jacquelyn Johnson, heptathlon, the whole town (83,000) will be in bars and homes watching starting this weekend. It is kind of neat to have officiated her in High school in Volleyball.

19. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I'm glad that I can catch some events through live streaming on my computer! I don't have to wait for the taped replay on t.v. I can watch it LIVE!! Times have changed!!! :2up:

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies live on TV right now--spectacular!

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Is it because you are in Canada? What channel/company? We do not have dish, we just have basic cable.

22. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

My son leaves for China in the morning. I am happy for him, but nervous, too. After touring many places in China, he will go to Beijing last. I think he will be going to the track and field competitions which are held toward the end of the Olympics. I must admit, I am a little envious. It will be quite an experience for him! I just pray that it is a safe one.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

Yes, our national network (CBC) is broadcasting live this morning. Be sure you watch tonight--a be ready to record parts of it, particularly if you teach ancient civilizations--they did several pieces representing China's great inventions.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

Weazy--what a great adventure for your son. I'm envious, too!

25. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

We have to drive him to the hotel tonight, so I hope we get home in time to watch it. I will be disappointed if we miss it. We don't have TiVo. Hopefully, NBC will have it on their website. We aren't watching it live in the US anyway. I'm very disappointed in that. Was it as wonderful as they made it sound?

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

The parades of athletes is going on now, which isn't always the most exciting part, but the show was amazing! Hopefully you can catch it tonight.

27. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I have caught bits and pieces on YouTube and it looks interesting. I like watching the athletes parade in. All their hard work pays off in moments like this. I also like the unity.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2008

I can't wait to see it! It comes on tonight at 8pm for me.

29. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

I am bummed it isn't live, but it wouldn't get many viewers if it was on this morning...it is amazing to think it is all over already on the other side of the world!

30. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I'm looking forward to swimming and gymnastics! I have swam since I was a child and I cannot find anything better than being in a pool and gliding through the water. It's very serene (to me at least). And I've loved watching the gymnastics competitions since I was a kid. Can't wait!

31. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

Oh my God, was that not spectacular!!!! I was totally blown away by the shear numbers of participants moving in unison (2008 total). Amazing!

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

Yes

but they have to teach the Chinese girls lining the track how to "line dance" they are off step :lol:

33. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 9, 2008

I love the summer olympics!!! I love watching the gymanstics, diving, swimming, heck, I love it all! So excited! :D

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

How about an olympic moment ?

The one I remember I can't remember what nation he was from but when the runner came up lame and fell and his dad came on the track and helped him crosse the finish line.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

ditto! that's exactly what I wanted to share. I hate the fact that they cut away so much with the commericals. And they seem to spend too much time making infomerical to me, talking about the athletes and their hometowns. It's interesting, but I would rather see more of the games and less about a handful of players and their families.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

started at 6:30 here... I drifted off a few times.

Prez looked at his watch! :haha:

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

Yes, but wayyyy to many commericals. And as much as they tried not to be political... the newscasters on Ch. 5 were. IMO Trying to pronounce some names, commenting on the clothing. Pointing out the fact that North Korea and South Korea refused to be near each other in line.

Kinda like two kids. :rolleyes:

I tell you...

Life is strange. How nice of them to remind us.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

and, when we can get 20 preschoolers to line up and walk down the hall... that is amazing to me! :lol:

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

they had to cheer and dance for almost 2 1/2 hours. I would have been looking lame too! They started off jumping up and down! I knew that wasn't going to last. By the time U.S.A. came around, they were just clapping and stepping side to side. More like a Soul Train Line..rather than Line Dancing... if you ask me... :rolleyes:

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

ditto... now we have something to do to amuse ourselves, while we aren't waiting for our phone to ring...

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

I was in L.A. when it was held there in '84. I liked the idea that the jobs changed hours, and let us have flextime..to cut down on traffic. Why they couldn't continue that, and even try it in other cities is beyond me.