Anyone every considered law enforcement?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, May 3, 2009.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 3, 2009

I just found myself checking out police department web sites. Seems like they always need officers. It's a job I considered a few years back, but never looked into it. I guess now with things being so bad, I'm checking out this option as well. Just wondered what anyone thinks of this. Especially if you are female.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

It's not something I'd enjoy. I think detective work would be fun, but I think you have to move through the ranks to get there....And I'm just too worried about the possibility of getting hurt.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 3, 2009

I'm like you...I think I'd love detective work. However yes, most detectives have to work patrol for at least a few years.

5. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

May 4, 2009

I just quit a job of 10 years in the criminal justice sector - although not law enforcement it was closely related (State Corrections). Would never do it again - and my degree is in in Criminal Justice!

You think teachers are overworked and underpaid? You aint seen nothing yet! There is a reason why LEA's are perpetually hiring.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

I think I'd love it. I did firefighting for several years and loved that. I love cops shows, listening to my scanner, excitement.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

This is the area that my dh is going into. He has a few more months left to get his BA.

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 4, 2009

Not my cup of tea, but I am sure glad there are other police officers and other people in law enforcement out there.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2009

I'll second that emotion, bt.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 4, 2009

I've always loved the law enforcement idea, but its definitely not for me as a job. After spending a weekend at a local police academy with a group of students during college, a tiny part of me was interested in pursuing something with psychology in the law enforcement area...but then I went back to my teaching practicum the next day and remembered why I've wanted to teach since I was 4.

Good luck with your decision!

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

Do they have "alternative certification" for police officers? Haha. I'd do it if they do.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

teachersk-most big cities have academcies that cadets go through in order to become a police officer.

13. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 4, 2009

In So Cal, LAPD is advertising heavily. It seems that this is the only area in Los Angeles that will not be cut back!

I could never do police work, I have a hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I don't think I would qualify (not that I would want to...too much of a chicken :))

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 4, 2009

There is a Deaf police officer that works in Visalia, California. His name is Richard Bean and volunteers as a patrolman. My DW has heard of another Deaf man that worked part time as an officer. And here is a link about a Deaf police officer in Alaska --
    Deaf Man Realizes Dream of Becoming Cop

15. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

May 4, 2009

I worked with male felons in the GDC for several years--it was a trip--one I never want to take again!! It beat not having a job, but barely. There wasn't anything I didn't hear or see--if you know what I mean. Think long and hard! Someone has to do it, but as a female, I think it is a job for a man. It's like just anyone cannot be a teacher--you must love what you do to be a teacher.

16. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

May 4, 2009

I've been in law enforcement for several years and I am looking at going into teaching. It has nothing to do with being unhappy with the job, but rather the feeling that I'm not doing what I really want to do. I went to college with the desire to be a teacher. Somehow I ended up being a police officer. It is never to late to change though, and that is what I am looking at doing.

There are days when I love my job and days that I hate it. That goes with any job I suppose. I would encourage anyone who thinks they might like a career in law enforcement to talk to an officer who is out of the "honeymoon" phase of their career and can tell you all the pros and cons.

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 4, 2009

Some days I feel like teaching and law enforcement have much in common!!

18. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 4, 2009

LOL. I actually do have a friend whose a cop with the LAPD. He said what we teachers do in his humble opinion is much harder. As he put it, "At least we get to carry a weapon around." :eek: I have to say though, I'm not so sure it's the job for me. I guess in these tough times I'm just considering other avenues. If I could work at the station doing admin work I wouldn't mind that. However, most of those jobs are through the city.....or you have to work patrol for a few years first.

19. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 4, 2009

My husband is law enforcement. Some of the things he has been through I don't think I could handle. There are women that do it, so maybe it is just me. :)

20. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 4, 2009

Wow, I would think that police work would be one of those professions that required a minimum in physical ability...but I'm still too chicken to be one :whistle:

21. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

May 4, 2009

My good friend is applying to be a cop in San Jose. He has to go through a couple of months of training and evaluations first, but they are hiring a lot of people. They take it very seriously. I talked on the phone for an hour to a reference person!!

22. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

May 5, 2009

I hear enough stories from my husband :) I'm certified science and considered taking forensics classes. I absolutely love that aspect of LE !