Anyone ever use Junior Great Books?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

Scheduled to go to a workshop in August in Dallas for this. Anyone familiar with it?

3. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I was scheduled for a Junor Great Books training last year, but I missed it due to inclement weather on that day. I have looked into it and done some reading on it. The whole program is based on questioning strategies to promote deeper levels of thinking and learning. I looked at the books and materials for my content and I didn't see anything I wanted other than a guide book for me. The thing about the Great Books program is that you can develop questioning skills and not have to buy their stuff. It just takes some reading, practice, and experience to use it. Some of our 6th grade teachers did order materials as in student books, etc. I think the program has lesson guide books for teachers to follow step-by-step so there's less work in designing your own lessons and questioning.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

I have never been but I distinctly remember doing it in elementary school and loving it! I used a few stories from Great Books when I taught fourth and the kids really loved them.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

I LOOOVE Junior great books. I really like the program. It is a great resource and I use it in my classroom fairly regularly. It gets the kids thinking so deeply about literature and really discussing the stories. It is a very rich program. Enjoy!

6. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I remember READING Junior Great Books! I recall reading some great stories.....of course we had some kids who called them the Junior Not-So-Great Books because they did not enjoy reading anything.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

I was in the Junior Great Books program when I was in Catholic school many years ago (in the 70's) I LOVED them. I was in 6th grade. They are the classics and I am sure they are still all about the classics. I still have a set of mine that includes "The Jungle Book" "A Christmas Carol" "The Wind in the Willows" "Treasure Island" and Fables from Tolstoy, Canterbury Tales and Hans Christen Anderson. You had to be at an advanced reading level and we all got to go into the library and discuss our books. I loved it. :)