Anyone ever use Homeworkopoly?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

I have seen various references on different websites about using "homeworkopoly" to encourage students to complete homework. I found the template and printed it out, but I am still a little unsure how to execute it in the classroom. I'd love to hear specific details on how often to play, and exactly how it is done!

3. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 5, 2006

I know there is someone where who does. She posted about it and I downloaded the stuff based on her pictures.

I plan on using it this year. I will probably have to reduce the board to fit the space I have in mind though. I'm pretty excited about it.

4. Jame

Jame Comrade

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

A friend of mine used it with great success in her Special Ed classroom last year. I'm going to try it this year--my job for today and tomorrow is to figure out the logistics and get it set up. I'll post again once I have thought it through.

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

One big question I have is about the game board and the pieces. I don't want to put it on my bulletin board, and I read somewhere that a teacher used a big tri-fold display board and mounted it on there, only pulling it out on Fridays to play. However, how do you keep up with where all of the game pieces go? I am always so pressed for time, I just can't see having to record on paper where the pieces all go and then put them back every time. Am I just being dense, or what???

7. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

I have used it for several years and love it! It does involve some record keeping and it does take time for everyone to roll. I try to do it every day, but usually it comes out to every couple of days. I laminated the player pieces and then just use a piece of rolled masking tape on the back of the piece. Each student moves his piece and then just sticks it to the place he lands. I use numbers in my room, so each student has his own playing piece marked with a number. That way I can use the pieces year to year, and I can also see at a glance who is where in the board. Someone probably has a much better way of doing this, but this has worked for me. :) I have mine on a large bulletin board, but a trifold is an interesting idea. Having it out in the open may serve as a goal reminder for the kids, though?? Could it be attached to to the wall somehow with hooks of some kind or with magnetic stips to something, so it would not use up your bulletin board space? :)

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I'm going to try using it this year. I have it on a bulletin board, but am going to use rolled tape on the back of the pieces. I don't want to put a lot of holes in the board. I plan on only playing on Fridays. That means the kids will have to have all the homework in for the whole week to play. I think that playing everyday will be a little much for me.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

What do you actually use for playing pieces? I'm not opposed to the bulletin board idea...but I only have one bb in my classroom, and I enjoy changing it monthly. I'd like to display it, though, so if anyone knows an easy way, let me know!

10. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I am going to try it out this year. I also had planned on playing of Fridays with those who have had all work for the week. I will use one of my 3 bulliten board areas in my room for the game board. For palying pieces I printed out clip art from Word and printed and laminated them. I also use numbers in my room so every piece has a number on it so I can reuse these year after year.

11. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

Game pieces can be found at the Homeworkopoly site: http://www.teachnet.com/how-to/clipart/index.html

Just click in the neon green box. :) But, like luvmykids suggested, you can use any clip art. Maybe by making a table and then copying and pasting into it, you could get a uniform size for the pieces?? You could also include your school mascot or your class theme on a couple of the pieces. :)

12. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I'm just going to laminate small pieces of paper with their names or numbers typed on them.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2006

I have been thinking about using it, but one of the drawbacks I worry about is the time it will take up each day. Some of you mention using only on Fridays - do you think that will be enough to be worthwhile if a student ends up not landing on a "good" spot on Friday? I have gone back and forth; I have some difficulty with extra rewards for doing what is expected. Any thoughts?

14. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

It does take some time to do it each day, but I think to be most effective, the students need to see movement. I can't always get it in every day, but I keep a tally and then the students who qualify take one, two, or three rolls, depending on how many days they qualified. I am fortunate to have some aide help, and I have her do Homeworkopoly while I work with students during one of their work times. To qualify, my students have to meet several goals: no late work, planner filled out and signed, number not on board, etc.

My primary goal for using Homeworkopoly is to reward those kids who do always do what is expected of them, regardless of a reward or not. They need a pat on the back once in awhile, too, that says, "Hey, I notice and value your efforts!". :) Guess, I have always struggled with the Parable of the Prodigal Son, where the son who squandered his life gets the party and the one who always did the right thing without being asked to did not. :D

15. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

If you can put The gameboard on a magnetic surface they have really neat magnet sheets you can put in your computer printer. I plan to use these to make my playing pieces. I'm thinking about taking digital pics of my students the first day and then printing them smaller on the magnet sheet to make the playing piece for them to move around. But I also like the idea of beinb able t use the same peices year after year so I may just do different types of transportation or something like that on the magnets.

16. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

ctopher, neat ideas!!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

I love the idea of using pictures for the game pieces--that would also help when there is a supply teacher.

18. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

I am trying this for the first time this year too. I plan to only play on Friday for students who brought their homework every day that week. I made the board and will laminate and put it in the corner of my whiteboard using magnets and the game pieces will be magnetic also. I am very excited about this!

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2006

Thanks for the info, Jame!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2006

I have my board on a portion of the wall, but I think I'll move it to the chalkboard after reading this. I have been wrestling with how to make the pieces and keep them up. This is so sensible. Why didn't I think of it before?

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

I'll be using this every day in my Special Ed Resorce Room, but have smaller numbers of students. The kids I'll be working with will need the reinforcement every day.

22. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I love the Homeworkopoly idea! I'm going to try it this year with my class. I wish I had it last year! That class was always forgeting to do/bring in homework. Better late than never... :D

23. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I think I'm using it differently. I have 3 classes a day, so I'm going to use it when everyone in the entire class has their HW. I'll randomly pick one person to roll and the entire class will get the prize.

24. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I use the kids' pictures that are taken at the beginning of the year/ It works great,because I can see at a glance who is moving and who is not.

25. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Ok, help me out here....my chalkboard is magnetic, please explain how to fix my board! The only thing I have done so far is cut out the pieces. I haven't attached them together yet in the shape of the board. Should I print the whole board on magnetic sheets, or just mount it on poster board and clip it to the board with magnets? If that is what I should do, will the magnetic game pieces still stick to the board through the posterboard game? I know I'm clueless.:sorry:

26. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

I haven't actually done this yet...just came up with the plan. I plan on making the board just be paper and then laminate. I will probably tape it to my magnetic surface (the back of a big metal bookshelf) Sorry I can't give you more help!

27. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I think that I'm going to put it on paper, laminate it, and put their pieces (which will be their picture) on with sturdy tape. This way I can put it in an easy to reach place, hang it on my board for when we use it and take it down when not in use so I can still use my whiteboard. I have 2 whiteboards in my room and only one bulletin board. One of my whiteboards is where I have the week's homework laid out for each class (it's in a table format) and my bulletin board is hard to get to, due to the computers in my room. Therefore, space is limited. Also, I am going to do this at the end of the day, so I have enough time for classes (which are only 45 min each), and I can use it as a behavior management tool. What do you all think?

28. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

Sounds good.....

I just thought about putting the gameboard on the front of my desk. My desk is ancient and ugly....this would be bright and fun to have on their....also magnetic.....also easier for students to reach. I have some very SHORT second graders coming this year. Why did they give them to the 6'8" teacher??? I know I"m going to step on them!

29. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

LOL! Thanks for the smile!! :D On the front of the desk is an excellent idea. Mine, too, is so beat up! :)

30. alan1erin

alan1erin Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

This sounds like a great idea. I think I am going to try it too. Thanks for all the great ideas. I love the idea about taking their pictures and using them for game pieces:):) Thanks again!

31. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Attaching Homeworkopoly to Chalkboard???

I really like this idea of Homeworkopoly, and I would like to keep it visible in the classroom. Unfortunately, I have no bulletin board space left and wanted to hang the laminated posterboard somehow from the bottom of the chalkboard.

My problem is this. Are there some type of hooks that I can attach to the chalkboard tray (metal) of the chalkboard so that I can hang the homeworkopoly from it? I know you can get hooks for the top of the chalkboard to hold things, so what about the bottom?

Does anyone know the name of those things, and where I could buy them? I'm hoping to be able to go out tomorrow to try to find them if I get some ideas :)

32. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

OOOOOOOOOOOO! I like that idea too....sorry I don't know of any hooks that would work.....maybe tape it to the tray.....then I think I would use clothespins with the playing pieces on them and just move the pins around the board.......neat!

33. Jame

Jame Comrade

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 9, 2006

I'm using mavalus tape for the board and small pieces of magnetic tape beind the students' markers. I printed the board on regular computer paper, pieced it together and laminated each side. Then I put the sides together to form a square board and taped it to the chalkboard.

35. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

hooks

YAY! Thank you so much! I might get those. Another teacher also suggested applying the clear adhesive hooks to the wall and hanging it on those. I just have to do my measurements correctly to make sure I put the hooks at the right distance. I might do that since it would be cheaper. But now I know where to get those and that they DO exist :D

36. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

I bought a tri-fold display board, and am going to attempt to mount it to the board. However, I like someone's idea about using clothespins as game pieces and just clipping them around the board. I can't clip clothespins to the bottom because then the board won't stand up. My next thought was to someone hook it to the wall and mount it for a display instead of standing it up on a shelf. Does anyone have any other ideas?

37. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

That sounds good to me. Make sure you get good strong hooks though, not the cheap ones. I use the clear adhesive hooks from Wal-Mart, 2.87 per pack of 6. A bit expensive, but they work very well.

I've decided to apply hooks below the chalkboard in my room and put the board there. It gives enough space to put clothespins on there too.

So much to do so little time.

38. MN Fats

MN Fats New Member

Aug 23, 2006

I have it on my bulletin board and will use poster putty to hold the game pieces in place. This way the pieces won't damage my game and they are easily moved and reattatched.:

39. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 23, 2006

I actually started homeworkopoly this year. I made my board a full size (sort of like the real thing). I hung my board up on my chalkboard where I post homework each day. That way I was able to make my tokens with magnets. I just bought small round magnets and attached a sticker on it. Each student in my class has a number that they put on all their homework, etc. So far we've played once but the kids seemed to really love it.

You can see what my board looks like by checking out my website at www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen

I ended up making my board on posterboard and just used that gummy stuff to hang it up after I laminated it.

40. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 23, 2006

katenar - what is your spelling contract and also do normally assign math homework on one day and give them several days to complete?

41. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 23, 2006

what about changing it to behavioropoly... in first grade I don't have to many homework issues(its still exciting to them) but I do have behavior issues... this would be an easy way to end the day and reward the students who i feel never get awarded!