Anyone ever tried e-Harmony? How'd it go?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Mar 16, 2009

So it's been six months since my wedding was cancelled and even though I'm not completely over my ex-fiance (I still care about him) I feel ready to date casually so I can get out of the house more.

I bought a one-month subscription to e-Harmony and they send me about 8 - 10 matches a day. A couple have opened communication with me.

I'm excited and nervous.

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

OY!

Tried it... VERY disappointed!

4. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

I haven't tried e-harmony, but I am currently on Match. I've been talking to someone for about 2 months now, and we have a really strong connection. We're going to meet this weekend and I am so nervous...but excited too. He's the total opposite of anyone I'd ever think of wanting to be with...I just hope that our connection in person is as strong as our connection from just talking ;)

It's a great way to meet people - but doesn't e-harmony match you up with people who aren't even in your area? I thought I heard that somewhere :confused:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2009

Good luck!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I'm a huge believer in online dating-I met dh that way. If I ever have to do it again (God forbid!), I would totally do online dating. I'm an optimist, and I went into thinking the best. And I got the best. It took me two years to meet dh, so it may take a while-don't give up!

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 16, 2009

I agree with online dating. I also met my husband that way. It's a great way to see what some people are like before even meeting them and then after communicating by email/phone with certain people who stand out to you then you might want to meet them and see where things go rather than waiting for someone somewhere public to just come over to talk to you kind of thing. Of course people won't reveal everything you need to know about them in their profile so use your good judgement! I met every person at a coffee shop first so it was a relaxing setting.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I also like online dating... I had to go through a lot of lousy dates, but now that I have met someone all that drudgery was completely worth it. I am happily involved with someone who is spectacular! We never would have met in real life, so it's great to meet online because we have so much in common and both of us see a future together.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I didn't use eharmony. I used match and met my husband (after about 6 months of dating other people from the site).

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

I tried eHarmony a couple of years ago and had no success on it at all and I was open minded about meeting someone from another area. I am now on match.com, it's only been a little over a month and still not sure about it - but am encouraged about many of you who have had success on it. I've been on 2 dates with 2 different guys and that's it so far but still moving forward with it.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 16, 2009

My mom has met a lot of men on match.com and they have all been slime bags. One of them used her, cheated on her, and messed her up financially.

But I guess it works for some people! Just be cautious!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2009

I met my boyfriend online, and several other guys that I dated before him.

I did NOT, however, like eharmony. I much preferred cupid, match, or lavalife. I met BF on cupid.com. They also offer speed dating, which was also pointless in finding a match but a HILARIOUSLY good time.

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

I am wondering the ages of those who were successful with online dating. Maybe it's an AGE thing (younger-more successful, old-not so much). I know MY experience with it LOOKS played a MAJOR part in its success or failure.

The only one I connected with flew the coop when we exchanged photos. Not that HE was prince charming (I think women are SO much more tolerant of ok-he-doesn't-LOOK-like-someone-I-would-date-but-I'll-give-him-a-chance than men ever are.). But considering we got along famously- then the picture and poof... made me feel like I was back in jr high again.

The next guy was 75 miles away... but as the crow flies...ACROSS Lake Michigan. He ended up having a dream to be a farmer with a horse and plow out in the forest away from society...and "Does it bother me to be alone for long periods of time?" (Uh...no, that's why I'm on a dating site! :rolleyes:) SHEEEESH! I'm a city girl!! This guy was as far away from ME taste-wise as he was distance-wise.

THEN it got to be ridiculous (as if THAT had been good). My daughter and I would laugh about the photos... men on motorcycles, men with dead fish, men with dead animals, men holding beers, men with their faces painted for football games ... oh my word... and then the ultimate, a man with a football jersey, sitting on his ATV, a beer in one hand and a huge dead fish in the other. Gentlemen, what type of women do you think you are attracting?

A male friend of mine (from church) was the guy who talked me into getting a subscription on it. HE was getting TONS of matches and going on many many dates (the ratio of men to women on those dating services is WAY WAY WAY in the men's favor btw). But it was one night after I had been cyber-dumped by that nice guy who obviously didn't like my looks that I was chatting with my friend on the phone. He didn't know the results of my time with the cyber-guy... and I hear that my friend is clicking on the computer as we talk. I ask what he is doing and he says he's on a dating service. "AH, 15 new matches today." TODAY??? That would be a few months for me.

But then he was going through them. Nope, Nope, Nope, OMG! Look at HER!!! NO WAY!, Nope, Nope,... oooooo she's a looker!

And I hung up on him.

It's just... not what I want to deal with.

25 years ago and 25 pounds lighter... MAYBE. But .. no thanks. I'd rather be single than humiliated.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

McKennaL ...

As for age ... I was 29 when I met my husband online, he was 38.

I remember those beer drinking photos, I never understood it. I also required no typos in profiles (hey, I'm an English teacher). Those 2 standards definately lowered the number in the dating pool. I also didn't like ones that seemed agressive during IM-ing ... immediately wanting a photo, immediately wanting to meet up.

Online dating was a fun experience for me.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

Typos in their profiles... OMG YES!!!!!!!!!

You think... PLEASE! I'm a teacher! Clean it UP!

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I tried eharmony and did not like it. The men that were matched up to me were much older and I was interested in them.

17. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Mar 17, 2009

I tried it once about two or three years ago, they couldn't find anyone to match me with. I knew I was one in a million, but geeeez!