Anyone ever torn a meniscus in their knee? (Uh oh!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by sciencegirl, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Anyone out there have any experience with tearing a meniscus? I am worried that I may have done that (based on the ever-terrifying experience of self-diagnosing on the internet.) I just want to see if what I'm experiencing is something to worry about or if it will pass. i'm hoping it's just some kind of minor strain that will go away.

I play a lot of tennis, and yesterday felt my knee kind of "tweak" a little bit while playing... but I was able to continue playing and walk home. When I got home I iced it and took an anti-inflammatory. In the night it was bothering me quite a bit and has been doing so all day. It's very sore, especially when I first stand up after being sedentary, or if I'm walking on stairs.

I can walk on it, & have full range of motion. But it's very sore on the inside below the knee cap.

School starts soon, and I can't fathom dealing with any surgery now (new school!) I also can't really stand the thought of having to stop tennis, but for now I did cancel my weekend tennis plans.

Anyone out there have any experience with this kind of thing?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

Both my kids played soccer and this was a pretty common injury. My son had surgery but my daughter did not. Continue to ice it and take an anti-inflammatory (aspirin, Alleve).

They say the wraps and braces don't really do any any good, but there is an elastic band thing that goes just under the knee that is supposed to be pretty good. They also say that what you have to do is strengthen the muscles in the leg that are above and below the kneecap so that they can better support it. If it continues, see an orthopedist. There's a good chance you wouldn't need surgery.

4. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Upsadaisy--how did your kids know they had torn theirs? Did they have to get MRIs, etc? How long after the actual injury was it that they got checked out? Like were they up and about being fairly normal (walking) or knocked out completely immediately after getting hurt? What was the difference in the tears such that your daughter didn't need surgery but your son did?
    Thanks!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

My son actually had something under his meniscus called plica that was cutting into his bone. He had an MRI. I can't really remember why my daughter did not, sorry. The orthopedist didn't order one. I know she went to a podiatrist also and had inserts made for her shoes. Neither one was knocked out completely. My son's knee had been giving way for some time. Other kids in soccer had pain for a while before deciding on surgery.

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

I tore the cartilage in my knee about 4 years ago. I don't think it's the same thing as tearing a meniscus. My knee was very swollen, but it didn't hurt unless I put pressure on my leg or bent the knee. So walking on stairs was very painful! My doctor gave me a brace (with metal hinges!) to wear and that helped with the walking. I wore it for about a month. Now every once in a while if I do something weird and tweak my knee it will swell up again and I'll feel the same symptoms. I just put my brace back on.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

I had torn cartilage in my knee and a cyst as well when I was a junior in high school. In PE one day, while running, I kept feeling a sharp pain on the side of my knee. I went to the doctor and found out what was wrong (after a few tests). They did arthoscopic (sp?) surgery and it was fixed. However, the doctor said it would always bother me and sure enough, it does. I went in again about 8 years or so ago, thinking I would have to have surgery again. Nope, I didn't but it still really bothers me. Especially when there is a change in weather or if I have been on my feet too long...shopping, walking, etc.

8. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I personally think that if you think it might be something then see a doctor.

If its nothing it wont hurt to see him/her.

But if it IS something it COULD hurt if you DON'T see a doctor - after all, you don't want to make it worse.

Just my opinion.

9. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 22, 2007

this happened to my mom recently. She did what you did iced,took tylenol,kept it elevated. But it hurt for her to walk and move her leg and her leg was so swollen. So she went to urgent care and they gave her anti-inflamm drugs but she had allergic reaction to the drugs. SHe went to see a orthopedic doctor and they took an MRI and found out she tore it and that she needed surgery. They did the orthoscopic surgery method. SHe ended up having it in her other knee as well 2 months later. The surgery helped but the recovery takes some time.

I would suggest seeing a doctor. It's better to be safe than sorry

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

know somebody with same story...

best thing to do is have dr check you out...could make it worse if you wait...that's what happened to this guy I know

11. kburen

kburen Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

My Mom just recently tore her meniscus. She had several tests done first (make sure it wasn't authritis or a blood clot) and finally and MRI which found that it was torn. They gave her a shot of cortizone (sp) and she's been okay for a while now. When she found out that she did tear it should could pinpoint the exact minute that she did it. Walking down the stairs at home to go out she felt something snap from one side of her knee to the other. 800 MG motrin is the only thing that helped her pain until the cortizone shot kicked in.

12. welki

welki New Member

Aug 24, 2007

I tore the meniscus in my knee 2 years ago while skiing. The good news is that my surgery was only about an hour and I actually walked (really limped) on it that evening. It hurt, but healed quickly. I also had some bone spurs removed during that surgery so I can't tell you exactly how it would feel to just have the meniscus surgery. I was completely off crutches, walking/limping unaided and back at school in 2 days.

13. SmallTownGirl

SmallTownGirl Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

definitely get it checked out. I knew something was wrong with my knee because I couldn't bend my knee all the way. Nothing showed up in the xray, so I got an MRI. Turns out I tore my ACL and had TWO meniscus tears. The whole process of getting all the tests done, the surgery and the rehab and recovery took a really long time, so the sooner you check it out the better!