Anyone ever Skype or Facetime and Interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vateacher757, Jul 22, 2014.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Help!!!

I've never done it before and since we will be on vacation during the interview time they are willing to Skype or Facetime it...please assist.

How do you set it up?
    How did you dress and/or prepare?
    How was it?

TIA.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

I've done both.
    Skype:The district sent me all the information ahead of time and required a test the day before.
    I actually did it during my planning period from school (I was out of state.). I was dressed in dressy school clothes.
    There was an error- my phone stuck on me so I couLdnt see them. They had no issues. It was very distracting to stare at yourself during the interview. I kept seeing a hair out of place and fidgeting. I didn't get the job :lol:

FaceTime:
    They had issues so they had to just call me after a few attempts. I was at home but put on a dressy shirt.

Even though my experiences were not great, I know several people who have had successful interviews that way.

4. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I once had two interviews with a private Christian school via Skype. Used my laptop and sat at my desk in my home office. I dressed like I was going to an in-person interview to get in the right mindset for it. Nice thing about Skype interviews is that you can keep a notepad nearby with your talking points and sneak a glance in every now and then!

Skype interviews definitely have their own vibe just like phone and in-person interviews do. Sometimes the echo of your voice can be annoying, but you just have to block it out! I thought mine went smoothly, but I lost out to a local candidate in the end. It's alright, I'm happy where I landed!

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 22, 2014

I haven't done one myself, but I was once a part of a hiring committee where we did a skype interview and ended up hiring that candidate. I have been hired from phone interviews twice. Both times I thought the experience was very awkward and didn't think I did well, but obviously the school thought it went well!

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Thank you all I think I may go for facetime and I have had those around me tell me have notes, talking points etc nearby.

I am nervous though.

7. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

I got a job from a Skype interview. I was out of state and not expecting to have an interview, so I wore the nicest outfit I had with me. They'll probably only see you from your waist up, but in case you have to unexpectedly stand up, I wouldn't wear PJ pants! Our audio wasn't great and it was seemingly easy for them to hear me but hard for me to hear them. Nonetheless, it worked out! Make sure you are seated with a wall or other tidy, non-distracting scene behind you. Good luck!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

I had a skype interview, without video. Make sure to use headphones- you can hear better and they don't get an echo.

9. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

Quick tip! Make sure to keep eye contact with the camera on your device, NOT the image on the screen. It's hard to do but if you look straight into the camera it will appear as if you are making eye contact whereas looking at the other image will make it seem as if you are looking away. Good luck!

10. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

I have done a Skype interview when I was out of town at a conference. I was not dressed in interview clothing (the conference was a very casual one and I had to do the interview between sessions in the conference center). I did get a second interview from it, but did not end up with the job.

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

I did a skype interview, the school loved me, probably would have accepted the job if we could have made the money work.

12. sweet tea

sweet tea Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

I was part of a new digital interview pilot program that my district is trying. I don't think I did well.. The questions would appear on the computer screen with a countdown timer. I was so focused on the clock, it became a huge distraction. I think a skype interview would be easier when there is someone on the other end to give feedback or non verbal cues. Oh and I dressed professional (from the waste up anyway!)

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

I have been on the other side of a phone interview-I hired my previous assistant while I was in a hospital waiting room with my father-in-law having open heart surgery. Just make sure you know conference call etiquette-don't interrupt, eliminate outside noise, etc.

14. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

I have been on an interview committee several times and have done many Skype interviews. Prior to the interview, our school actually sends out tips for doing a video interview. It's always clear who has read it and who hasn't. I don't have a copy, but I'm sure if you googled it you would find results.
    The main tips are:
    *put your computer/video device up so your face is at eye level as opposed to you looking down or up at a screen.
    *place yourself in an area with good lighting and a neutral background

Of course it's summer so the rest have fallen out of my head, but they definitely help!