Anyone ever read A CHILD CALLED IT in class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by miatorres, Jul 24, 2006.

1. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

In Los Angeles Unified, we have lots of struggling readers and writers. We are thinking of using A CHILD CALLED IT in middle school and high school.

Do you have any suggestions for some book related activities for this book?

Many, many thanks!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2006

I don't know of any activities, but that is a very, very emotional book and will probably spark quite a bit of discussion.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2006

I've never taught it, but I have that whole book series in my classroom library.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2006

Is this the story by Dave Pelzer? If so, I read it, cried, and loved it! This could be a springboard for discussion about nature vs. nurture. Wasn't he abused and kind of distanced from society?? I may be thinking of another book. :confused:

6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

Miss Frizzle,
    I am so happy that you loved A CHILD CALLED IT! Yes, you just described the book perfectly!

Thanks,
    Mia

7. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 24, 2006

I don't think I could use it in my classroom - I don't want my students seeing me cry like a big baby! LOL!

8. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I don't think I would read this in my class. I could hardly get through it without crying. There's no way at all I would read the second one either.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2006

I would be afraid it could be too traumatic for middle schoolers. I remember being traumatized when I read it, and I'm an adult. Its a great book, but tough subject matter.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 24, 2006

I agree about the subject matter. Awesome books, but maybe TOO close to home for some. It would really depend on your students and your "trust factor" in the classroom. I have a feeling some administrators would be skittish about having it used.

But keep us posted if you do use it!!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2006

It's pretty a mature subject matter for middle school- do you have to pass it through a committee or something first?

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 24, 2006

Oh my gosh, please don't make middle school kids read that book. I had to read it for my ed. degree. I threw it out afterwards. It is so emotionally devastating, my daughter's in 11th grade and I wouldn't want her to read it. With all the lit out there why choose this?

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2006

Mia

Dave also wrote another book, called ( i think) Help Yourself. Now that might be a better book because it talks about "winning" and positive attitudes. You could really go places with that in Middle School.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

I think it's a book that anyone who works with children should read. But I think it's pretty heavy for middle school kids... I had a hard time reading it in college!

15. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 25, 2006

For those of you that liked the book, I always loved 'They Cage the Animals at Night.' Similar story, also based on a real person's experience. It is very moving.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

yes, that one's really good. So are Torey Hayden's books... again... moving books, but I wouldn't use it in middle or high school!

17. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I have not taught the book in my class, however, I know that I can't keep it on my shelf and I teach ninth graders. They love it. I have had kids come and tell me they could nto even put it down to go to sleep - I like that, if it is interesting to them, it makes them want to read. Isn't that our goal?

Chrissy

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2006

How about the book, Dibs in Search of Self? I heard it is good.

19. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 30, 2006

Dibs is a good book. I had to read both for my ed classes and enjoyed this one. If you haven't read it, I recommend it...the whole parent...child....teacher connection.

20. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

I just joined today and can't seem to stop myself from replying to threads! lol
    Anyway, I teach 7th grade lang./lit. and one of my kids recommended that book to me early last year. I read it and loved it but cried a good bit, too.
    I think it is a super book for reluctant readers because it's so hard to put down. However, I agree that it is pretty heavy...so what about setting up a unit including several books on the theme of overcoming trauma or obstacles and letting the kids chose from 4 or 5 books. Each book group could meet and discuss the books they are reading. That way, not every student would be "forced" to read the book if they were uncomfortable with its content, but all would be reading about the same theme. You could still have class discussions where all the kids come together to answer broader questions dealing with that theme.
    This might be a good compromise...