Anyone ever move from Sp Ed to Reg Ed?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mellz Bellz, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 24, 2011

I was just wondering if anyone on here has made this transition and what your experiences were? Was it easy? Did you regret leaving Sp Ed. Did you happily never look back? How common is this?

I know when I interviewed for my job and my P was trying to sell me on it, he brought up the possibility of me being able to one day transfer to gen ed. I take this with a grain of salt because there are many things I was told that never came to fruition. I know in my old state was a teacher was in Sp Ed, that's where they pretty much stayed.

I think I'd feel guilty using my students as a "stepping stone," but I am considering asking my P if I can be considered for a reg ed position once one opens up. It is nothing personal against my students rather the way our Sp Ed dept is ran and lack of resources for teachers. I feel overwhelmed and that they throw all the "problem children" my way. I do not feel like a teacher. I feel like a babysitter. I cannot possibly teach with the wide range of personalities and academic levels. Most of the time lately, I'm just clearing up arguments.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 24, 2011

I'm curious about this too. I'm certified in both as well but I really really wanted a classroom teaching job. I felt like when I took my job in special ed this year I'd never get out of special ed- but in my home state there were literally 5,000 people applying for the same jobs in regular ed. elementary so I knew there was just no chance for a classroom teaching job. People always told me "once you get into the district, just work in special ed. for a couple years and then you can move into the classroom." I don't think that's true though. If you're good at your job in special ed, they're going to want to keep you there since it's harder to find a good quality person for that job while there are thousands of quality applicants for regular ed. jobs. If they don't love you in the special ed. position, they're not likely to consider you for another job at the school/district, again especially with so many other qualified applicants.

I'm actually way happier with my job this year than I could have ever imagined it. Part of it is that I just work in a great building with amazing staff/students- not necessarily the fact that I'm in special ed. Part of me still wants to go for regular ed. though- I feel like I just "gave up" when that's what I've wanted to do my whole life. I knew going in it was going to be crazy hard to find a job but I've never wanted to do anything else. I feel like I'm doing a good job in my current position, but I also feel that I'm truly talented (not just "good") at classroom teaching. Many of my big strengths apply to having a whole class or other regular ed. things like problem based/inquiry based learning, etc. I student taught in both special ed. and regular ed. and I felt I did a good job in both, but the place I really shined was the regular ed. room.

I guess you could at least just ask your principal about it? You don't have to mention anything about dislking your current job, just say you're interested and would like to talk about it? The least he/she can do is say no, right?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

I made the switch a few years ago and love reg. ed. I would never want to go back to special education!

Now, regular education is a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but it is just so much fun and I still have the personalities of the special education kids I love so much. Plus, I am pretty good with modifying and the like, so the special education teachers enjoy when their students are placed into my room!

I don't know how common it is, but once I switched another special education teacher switched the next year. Now, she is not having as great a time at it and may want to switch back....She hasn't yet though, and she has been offered multiple times (as have I) and we both said no, so.....

5. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Mar 25, 2011

It's actually pretty common where I am. I did special ed for 4 years and then have been in the classroom for the past 9 (I think...crazy). There are at least 3 other former special ed teachers in my smallish school. When I initially went to school for education, I only wanted to be special ed. Some teachers at the time encouraged me to get my elem ed degree "just in case"....I never thought I'd need it, because I REALLY wanted to teach special ed. It wasn't the actually teaching that I disliked. It was the large caseloads, the paperwork, and the supervision of adults that I disliked. I didn't get to do a lot of teaching, because I was managing aides and paperwork. Sometimes I do think about going back, but I think I would miss the regular classroom too much. Besides, at one point this year, I had over 25% of my class on IEPs, so it's not like I don't get to work with students who have special needs...they often place them in my room because of my experience.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

And now you get the joy of teaching students with special needs without all the paperwork and administrative duties.