Anyone ever lost a fingernail before?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tracykaliski, Jul 12, 2010.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I was putting something into the car and jammed my finger on the car and most of my fingernail pulled up away from my finger. It bled, hurt like you-know-what, and now is throbbing. I have to keep it covered or else the nail pulls on what's left connected to my finger.

Anyone ever had this happen before?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

Not to my fingernail, but my toenail. I kicked my bedpost and the nail came up. After it turned black and stopped hurting, it fell off. There was a soft, thin nail growing underneath. Now that same nail falls off every 4-6 months, but there's always a new one growing under it.

4. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

oh wow...my big toe nail kinda the same way after it fell off -.-;;

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2010

Yup I did when I was little.. pinky in slammed in the door. The funny thing was my dad lost his toe nail at the same time!!!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

Yup, a fingernail as a kid from being slammed in the door and a toenail 2 years ago after the 3 day breast cancer walk. Both times the nail died but the new one grew underneath before the old one fell off. It took awhile for them to be "normal" but it wasn't that bad but both nails are a bit thinner and slightly "wrinkly" compared to the old one. It takes a few months but didn't hurt after the initial injury.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

I also lost a toenail from dropping a cinder block on it, but I ended up with a nail fungus after that, and I can't get rid of it. So be careful!

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

I lost a finger nail after an injury (it got smashed up against the corner of a wall) about 15 years ago... give or take. It still is a little different, but not enough for someone else to notice. But first it was swollen, then turned black (dried blood underneath the nail), and then fell off. It took quite a while to grow back, then it was "wrinkled" because the nailbed was damaged. But that has also disappeared.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

Never a fingernail, but I just lost a toe nail. I'm not sure what I did to it, but it raised up and turned a darker color. I was in the pool one day and it came off then. A thinner nail is there now.