Anyone Ever Have Kids Do Claymation?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Feb 23, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 23, 2012

I have a ton of clay that I got last year; and I know it doesn't last forever, so I was trying to figure out what to do with it that would be interesting. So I thought for a different kind of project I'd have my kiddos try to do some sort of claymation video-maybe tie it into Dr. Seuss' birthday next week. They would make their characters out of clay and then.:confused:.. I'm not sure how to do it.

Can we just take photos and put them together in some sort of slideshow? Is there a program that people use to do this kind of thing? Anyone done anything like this before? Bueller?

I'm pretty good at technology once I've used it, but not as knowledgeable about what's out there to use.:blush:

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 24, 2012

Claymation is incredibly time consuming. Three of our gifted high school students made a Claymation that is less than a minute long and it took them more than 8 hours of time working on it: making the creatures, posing them, filming, editing. (They had a pretty complicated set up though.) Remember that you need 12 frames or pictures for each second of screen time at minimum. Industry standard is at least 15 frames per second.

When I've done stop motion in the past, I just used Windows Movie Maker, and put each frame in individually. It takes forever, but it does get the frame rate right. Some people recommend Picassa, but I've never used it.

Here's a link to some good explanations: http://stopmotionmovies.yolasite.com/

4. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 24, 2012

I have done it a few times with Yr1 students and used a program actually called Claymation.
    It is very time consuming but great fun. I would have the students create a very small 'story' with their clay. I would take the photos (I did try and let the kids take them once but they had too much trouble keeping the camera in the same position), upload them to the computer and they would find them and insert them into the program.
    The program we used is very easy to use - the chn can insert all of their photos at once then create title slides and change the speed of the presentation etc. I'm sure there is more that it can do but that was as far as we went.
    We used to present them to their parents then I would burn them onto a dvd for each child. The presentations were only ever a few seconds long but that was enough.
    If you have any other questions let me know!

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 24, 2012

I have several students that absolutely love making stop-motion animation at home. They use a program called iStopMotion animation Home I think. It's fairly simple to use, and it creates for some very interesting videos!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Lots to play around with this weekend. The kids were sooooo excited when I was telling them about it, I really hope I can get it to work. Something different to do with them anyway! :thanks: again!