Anyone ever get out of a contract before

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by blauren, Aug 7, 2014.

1. blauren

blauren Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

I signed a contract for next year. I just got a call to interview at a school district I'd much rather be at. The commute would be shorter and it also pays 7,000 more. Plus, the actual assignment is one that would be my first choice to teach. I just don't know if I should even bother interviewing. I don't know if I'd be able to be let out of my contract without consequences. In my contract, it really doesn't say what will happen if you break it. Just looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

Unless there are major issues with the first district, I would advise you to keep the job you have. Depending on the state, they can hold your teaching license for up to a year. You would also burn a bridge. While not the norm, non-renewals happen. Plus administrators talk- even in different districts.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 7, 2014

Keep the job you have unless the one you have signed with is an "at will" charter school. Let the school who called you know that unfortunately you are no longer in the market for this year but you'd love to be kept in mind for a position for the 2015-2016 school year. Without a relationship with your new school it's risky to burn bridges. I know people have left my district well under the 60 days we're supposed to give, but it's always with the consent of their administrator. Mine for example always says you have to follow your dreams, and if that means a different job, he's not going to stop you. But again, that's his take on it, not everyone is as willing to let a person who has signed a contract go. Which is why I say stay with what you have.

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

Keep the job for at least a year. Especially if this is your first job. I was willing to go to rough neighborhoods, deal with rough commutes, etc. Unfortunately for teachers and other contracted jobs, that's life. Need to take what's given in front of you. Don't burn any bridges or it can affect your career.