Anyone ever get a bikini wax?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, May 31, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

VaNewbie's thread on at home waxing got me thinking about bikini waxes, but I didn't want to hijack her thread.

Have you ever gotten a bikini wax before? At home or professional? Super painful, or doable? Are you allowed to get drunk beforehand? :D How long does it last before the hair begins to grow back?

I can't do Nair or those chemical lotions.

ETA: I'm going on a camping trip for two weeks in June and a week in August and thought it would be nice to get a wax there and on my legs.

3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

May 31, 2011

I would like to know as well. Hubby and I are going to Jamaica in July for 8 days.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 31, 2011

Go for it Peachy .... Post pictures .... BTW I love to camp .... :p:p

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 31, 2011

I just had to see what Major had to say in the bikini wax thread...:lol:...you didn't disappoint Major!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

Hahah, Major!!! KC, I usually go to the posts that Major posts at too, just to see what he had to say. Haha

Sooooo, I actually forgot I started this thread.

So, can anyone here answer my questions on waxing? :)

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 1, 2011

I did once. The pain sucked, yes. The lady who did it thought I was weird because I asked if my then-boyfriend could come in and hold my hand, lol. Having his support helped me laugh off the pain and awkwardness - things can get pretty weird in there ;)

I won't do it again because it wasn't as smooth as I hoped, and it grew back pretty fast. I've never found a good solution :(

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 1, 2011

My sister has done the lazer treatment. She said it was much better then waxing. My SIL gets hers waxed all the time. I thinks he said she goes once a month.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

In my thread I wanted to know about all types of waxing so you could of posted this there.
    Did you see the product Bare Ease & Cream I posted? I just ordered some so I will come back to report when I use them. It says there is not pain at all.
    Check out the website and the youtube videos. I'm excited.
    The only problem is I do not know how long waxing lasts so how often will I have to buy this product?

I will use the product and wax my bikini at home with a waxing kit.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

Word of caution for doing it yourself. I tried to one time and had a horribly painful experience (I think I used Nads). I tried one strip, and it didn't remove anything, but it broke all the blood vessels under the skin. It looked like a huge blood bluster. Never again! I would save that area for a professional.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2011

I have never gotten a bikini wax, and I never will. I have my eyebows done which isn't painful at all for me, and I can handle the sting of having my upper lip waxed. That is where I draw the line though. I wear swim shorts anyway. I'd rather look stupid in the eyes of some than be in excrutiating pain. I would do the laser hair removal in a heartbeat of I could afford it. Hair wouldn't grow back then, would it?

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

I'd like to get this done just so I wouldn't have to worry about the area for awhile.

13. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 1, 2011

I'm thinking of getting some of these areas laser-ed someday. That would be nice. I can't imagine using wax. :-((((

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2011

If I go in for a wax, I"m so going to errrr, drink a bit. :D

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2011

lol!

16. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

I'm very strange about this- I LOVE getting waxed. I have been getting a full brazilian for a little over a year now, and a few months ago I started having her do my legs, too. Shaving irritates my skin beyond belief, so it is completely worth it to me to go and get waxed.

It hurts, don't get me wrong. But the first time is the worst and it gets easier and less painful every month. I also pop an ibuprofen before I go which works wonders. And afterward I am so happy, I'm more than willing to make another appointment.

If you decide to go for it, my number 1 top piece of advice is make sure you get a recommendation for someone to go to. Ask your friends or people at work, ask anyone you can, just make sure you get a NAME not just a place to go. My first wax was at a salon where I get my nails done. I learned the hard way that women who only speak Vietnamese are wonderful for doing your nails, but NOT when you have questions about getting hair ripped out of you and you want to know what's going on. I never went back, and I found a great girl that I adore and trust, and I recommend her to everybody I see. The right person really does make a world of difference.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2011

I've come back to this thread hoping for pics....... but so far ....... nothing .......:(

So what exactly is a "full brazilian?" ....... :):)

18. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 2, 2011

Full Brazilian is EVERYTHING off :p

Well, everything "down there"

I'm curious about laser... has anyone here had it done? Was it crazy expensive? Is it permanent? If I won the lottery, laser on everything would come right after paying off student loans LOL

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

A child born in Brazil to Brazilian parents?

20. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

But has anyone done waxing at home? Any tips? Like I said before I just don't feel comfortable going to someone to wax me so I'd rather try at home first.

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

Read my first post( somewhere on the first page) about my horrible blood blister. :) Honestly, my only tip is don't do it. But if you do, I hope you do a better job! :lol:

22. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

Oh. Let me go back and look.

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

Yikes! Well I know that you should use hard wax and just pull the wax and do not use any strips.

I know you are warning me but I'm going to go ahead with it! I will be back with a full report hopefully sometime next week. lol

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

I used Nads, which is like wax but cold and sugar based. Maybe that was the problem. I used a bad brand. I've never heard of not using strips? Good luck!

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2011

I don't think I could wax at home. What if something goes horribly wrong? That could be one embarrassing er visit!

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2011

Yeah, I have no plans to wax at home either. I just hope they are fine with me bringing in a bottle of sake. :p

I will need to start looking around. I'm leaving on my 15 day camping trip in a little over a week.

Soooo, for the people who has gotten a wax, how long did it take before the hair grew back?

27. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

Every time I go I tell the girl that there is NO way I could do this to myself. With my luck, I would put the wax on and not be able to get myself to pull it off and end up stuck like that forever!

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

No one's really sure, Peachy........... so without daily photo documentation we will never know ........ (I only ask in the interest of science ..... hopefully you understand ...... :p)

29. smalltowngal

Jun 3, 2011

:lol: Crazy, Major!

30. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 4, 2011

Just finished my waxing done by myself. I only did the bikini line not the full but it really was not that bad. Of course it hurt but I could deal with it. It hurt for like a moment.
    I just put it on, waited 30 seconds and pulled.

I think tomorrow I will try to do a little bit more in other areas but really it was not too bad. I also did not use the product Bare Ease and Cream I mentioned. I will try that when the hair grows back.

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2011

OK......... Since everyone is into to it ........I think I will try it...... even though I don't own a bikini ... Now if I could only get someone to hold my hand while I do it .. (otherwise it may take several shots of some very old scotch) .... :lol:

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

I have had it done a few times. Before you go take some advil, that helps. Beware of ingrowns - I had a few. Goodluck, it wasn't too bad and I never did a full brazilian - just one that was more than a bikini but less than a brazilian:)

33. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2011

Major~you know if you do it, we're gonna need some photo documentation to prove that you did. Oh, and I have a nice bikini you can wear. :)

34. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

Mine lasts for 3 weeks. I have what my aesthetician calls "unruly hair" that grows at a crazy fast rate. Lucky me. I will still take once every 3 weeks over shaving every day and getting ingrowns like mad!