Anyone ever been to Gatlinburg TN?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by loves2teach, May 12, 2009.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 12, 2009

Hi,

I rented a cabin for my anniversary this year... I am totally a planner, so I am trying to map out our plan. Anyone have any suggestions?

ps. We are actually staying in Pigeon Forge.

3. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

May 12, 2009

One of the first things to do is request the travel guides from both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg...these will help you with planning.

There are so many different things to do in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. It really depends on what you enjoy doing...hiking, shopping, shows/entertainment, miniature golf...the list is never ending.

My husband enjoys OberGatlinburg (the aerial tram)...if you don't like heights you will not like this...I spend all of my time on the floor of the tram:eek:

Taking one of the motor trails is always fun...Cades Cove or Roaring Fork (last year was the first time my husband saw a bear in the wild.)

There is so much more that we enjoy doing while we are there.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2009

I've been once or twice a year my entire life. I like it because there are always things to do, or you can just do NOTHING at all if you want.

I live in the country, so I prefer staying in downtown Gatlinburg and walking to all the activities and being around people. We rented a cabin in the woods once, but that wasn't enjoyable for me because we kind of life in a similar place . . . and I wanted to DO something. Finding parking in downtown Gatlinburg isn't easy.

The chamber of commerce will send you free information.

We also always make sure to go to Clingman's Dome and then drive to Cherokee, NC.

We're going for a couple of days in June.

5. K1teach

K1teach Companion

May 12, 2009

We went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon. It was nice and relaxing, but I would check to see where your cabin or hotel is. We had a fabulous cabin but it was 25-30 minutes from Gatlinburg. So we made one plan for the day, went to town, and came home. I would have much preferred staying closer so we could come and go.

6. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 12, 2009

I have only been to Gatlinburg, TN during Christmastime. It is absolutely beautiful with all the light. Make sure and visit Nashville too, there are lots of great things to see there as well.

7. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 13, 2009

Gatlinburg is great. I live close so I have been many times. We also have a time share in PF. We enjoy driving through the craftsman community. This is a long loop behind Gatlinburg. I believe they have a shuttle that runs through it if you prefer not to drive. Cades Cove is another favorite. We like to take a picnic when we go there. There are a lot of cheesy money wasters in Gatlinburg and PF but the Aquarium is worth a visit. Dollywood is good as long as you don't go expecting a Disney experience. You can take a trolley from the PF Old Mill and avoid paying for parking. Last year the trolley was .25 per person per ride.

Nashville is 3 to 4 hours to the east of Gatlinburg.

8. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

May 13, 2009

Let's see....I go about once every couple of months. Things I enjoy :
    1. Dollywood - rides and shows. It isn't huge, but very fun.
    2. Splash Country - Water rides.
    3. Wonderworks Museum - I took my 9 year nephew, I enjoyed it more than him.
    4. Ripley's Aquarium - Beautiful
    5. Old Mill Crafts - Beside Patriot Park. Just fun shops.
    6. Five Oaks - BIG outlet mall.
    7. Dixie Stampede - I love the show and the soup.
    8. Drive into Cherokee N.C. across the mountains.
    9. Cades Cove - Beautiful drive
    10. Walk through Gatlinburg.
    11. My boyfriend always makes me drive the go-carts (won't admit to him, but fun)

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 13, 2009

We went through there last summer and it's a delightful place to visit.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 13, 2009

Well, the first piece of advice I would have given you is to not stay in Pigeon Forge, but too late for that. Be aware that traffic can be a nightmare in Pigeon Forge, and there is next to no parking on the main strip in Gatlinburg. There is plenty of parking a few blocks away, so be prepare to hoof it.

I agree with the OberGatlin and the Ripley's. What fun!

We always pack a picnic lunch and have a stream-side picnic at one of the many picnic areas. It is great.

Try to avoid Rt 66 -- the traffic can be a nightmare. Call whereever you are staying and ask for the best way to get there -- Don't just use mapquest or a gps!!!!!!!! You will find yourself stuck in traffic.

I've never been to the Dixie Stampede there, but I"ve been to it in SC, and it was very enjoyable.

Sometimes you can catch an arts and crafts fair too.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

A few years back we took our motor home cross country (Colorado to Nags Head) and stopped in Gatlinburg for a few days. There are lots of things to do but be prepared for crowds and horrendous traffic. :dizzy: It seems everyone east of the Mississippi targets the Smokies as a destination.

Decades ago when I lived in Atlanta I visited the Gatlinburg area frequently. Then it was relatively uncrowded and Pigeon Forge was just a very small place.

Enjoy
    Major........:):)

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 13, 2009

We were just there over spring break. We love it and go as often as possible.

Some of our favorites are:
    Outlet shopping - Five Oaks in Sevierville is the best. (Seveirville is the next town, you barely know you're leaving Pigeon Forge and entering a new town...the mall is just over the city limit line).

Cades Cove - drive around and stop at all the buildings. 1/2 way through is a great trail if you like to hike. Abrams Falls is a 5 mile hike (2.5 miles each way), but fairly easy. We walked it and sat at the falls for about 30 minutes, in about 3 hours. I am NOT a hiker and I loved it. Chimney Rock on the other hand is a much shorter trail, but very hard...at least I thought so. We didn't do it this time because I put my foot down!
    Wonderworks - an interactive science museum. I really enjoyed it, but then again, I love science. My kids (11 & 17) enjoyed it, but not as much as I did. If you go, go early, it gets very crowded, especially if it is raining.

Bubba Gump's - a seafood restaruant in Gatlinburg. It's a fun theme restaurant and the food was good.

Any pancake house - breakfast is inexpensive and always good

Directly across from the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge is an artist's shop (in a small strip center). He paints awesome pictures of Cade's Cove and many of the trails in the Smokies.

Go-Karting is always fun...but can get crowded. Since my kids love to ride go-karts, we went to a place in Sevierville that you buy a wrist band (it seems like it was about $25), and it's good all day as much as you want to ride. The lines are pretty long, though.

Definitely call and request info from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. They will send you lots of great stuff and lots of coupons. Check on line for coupons, too. I found one for the rental company we rented our chalet from and they gave us an extra 10% off when we got there.

Have fun!!!

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 13, 2009

Here are a couple of hints for avoiding traffic. Take Wears Valley Road to Townsend to go to Cades Cove. It is a nice drive and you will miss the traffic going through Gatlinburg. There are also a lot of nice shops on Wears Valley Rd. and in Townsend. There is also a back road from PF to Gatlinburg. It is longer but can be quicker if traffic is heavy. It will take you into Gatlinburg by the Craftsman's Community. In PF use Teaster Lane as much as possible. It runs behind the parkway where the outlet mall is and is much less busy. Have a great trip! :)

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Cades Cove is a great place to do a short bicycle ride...... as I recall about 12-13 miles...... I did it once many years ago carrying my 15 month old pup........:p:p:p

If you've never taken you puppy on a bike ride you are missing a lot.....:)

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 14, 2009

Wow, I leave for a day or two and look at all this great advice!!!

Well, I was on the fence about where to stay, but the cabin we got is SO cute! It was just renovated and looks really nice. We are going for 3 days during the week at the start of summer, so hopefully it will not be too bad. We are from the DFW area in Texas, so traffic should not bother us (I hope).

Does anyone have any food suggestions? I want to eat out for lunch probably twice, and dinner once or twice. We have a grill and a full kitchen, so I will bring some easy things to cook.

Thanks again!!!

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 14, 2009

Bubba Gump's is great for dinner (Gatlinburg). Corky's has great ribs, and is good for lunch or dinner. There is one in Gatlinburg and one in PF...the PF one does not serve beer, but G does. There is a Hard Rock in Gatlinburg, but I've never been there so I can't say if it's good or not.

I've never been to Dixie Stampede, but it's a dinner show and I've heard it was fun. It's in front of Dollywood in PF.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 14, 2009

Just one warning. We rented a cabin in Pidgeon Forge and did not know it was 5-miles straight up the mountain on a dirt road. Unfortunately we were traveling in a large conversion van and had problems getting up the mountain. We were lucky and the rental company refunded our money. I was worried about going up that steep narrow road in the dark, if we went to town in the evening. So if you can, check out exactly where your cabin is located.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 14, 2009

Also watch for bears!

DH's cousin got married in Gatlinburg, and the entire family--40+ people--all rented cabins on the same road. The roads were AWFUL! I was scared to death of the road, and I made them let me out of the car and I walked from the cabin to the road each time . . . until the bears started showing up at the cabin in the evenings looking for food.

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 14, 2009

Last time I was there, our cabin was so far up the mountain that my little economy car couldn't make it. Fortunately, I was with my folks, and they had a cadillac with a powerful engine. We had to leave my car at the parking lot for the rental agent. He said that was fairly common.

20. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

May 14, 2009

If you are a catfish fan...you will enjoy Huck Finn's in Pigeon Forge...they also serve steak and fried chicken.

The Great American Steak Buffet is also a nice place to go...tons of different food...probably the best buffet we have ever been to.

As far as traffic is concerned there is usually less traffic during the week compared to the weekend.