Anyone else's school not planning to return until 2021?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2020

The plan at my school is to continue remote learning through the fall semester. Right now we have a remote learning design team working on ways to improve our instruction with that assumption.

We are not even discussing any sort of hybrid model where kids come in shifts and everyone prays they can social distance and not share everything like they normally do.

Our situation is unique to a lot of other schools. We are housed in a theater that was built in 1928. The hallways are much narrower than normal schools. My classroom was once an office, or even a retail shop. Perhaps both. Also, our students all either carpool or take public transit, so even if they social distance at school, there is virtually no way to get them to do so on the way to and from school.

Anyone else staying home until 2021?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2020

At this point we aren't sure what is happening for September. The provincial Minister of Education has pledged that families will know by the end of June (the end of our school year) what the plan is for the return to school. Most people I've talked to seem to feel that we'll have some sort of hybrid model.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2020

As of right now, we are assuming regular opening on August 6. However, we would need to be moved on the Phase 2 by then. We have been at Phase 1 starting memorial weekend.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 3, 2020

We haven’t gotten any word. The scenarios that have been thrown around without any commitment have been super confusing (half day in school, half online, or letting students choose whether they want to attend in person). If it came down to that, I’d greatly prefer online teaching.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2020

It seems early to be making a final decision. My district is coming up with several scenarios, but an online only option will be offered either way for families who prefer that. It doesn't sound like they want to do a hybrid option at all, which I'm grateful for because that sounds like a nightmare for both teachers and families. Teachers will either be remote or in person, not expected to do both at once like many nearby districts are discussing. They are expecting shorter periods (between 3 days-2 weeks) where schools may close entirely and temporarily go remote due to outbreaks. New teachers report a week before the rest of us and part of their training they will be learning our online platforms.

Options are being released in late July and families will need to decide by August 1st to enroll their student for either in person or online instruction. They're still working out how long that decision stands for- they're thinking maybe just the first quarter or the first semester and then people would have the option of moving to one or the other depending on what's going on with the virus. If parents choose in person they have to adhere to whatever the safety guidelines are; if they don't want to do that then they must do the online option. I suspect some battles with that. IDK how strict they'll get with various guidelines (it will depend on the virus numbers/what we know at that time) but we've already been told masks will be required. That alone is going to set a lot of parents off.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 4, 2020

Staying home until 2021 sounds like people not wanting to problem solve.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 4, 2020

For a second I forgot this wasn't Facebook and was looking for the "Wow" reactions... Remember that every area is very different. We still have a relatively high infection rate. We have many teachers who are high risk, as well as many students, because health outcomes in our area are very poor (due to a number of reasons, but mostly poverty and culture.) Our most recent high school was constructed in 1968, and there aren't many elementary or middle school buildings that are older. They are looking at needing to close schools are reduce bussing costs. With increasingly overcrowded classrooms (I had 38 last year in a room designed to hold 25), in order to follow CDC recommendations and open would destroy the budget. Plus, since some instruction would be online, we'd still have to solve the distance learning problems. I think it's smarter to solve one set of problems at a time: distance learning in the fall, maybe try to come back to school in the winter for some kind of blended learning, and open things back up as we can.

Regardless, each path is going to create many, many problems to solve.

MntnHiker and Tired Teacher like this.
  9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2020

I will not be at all surprised if we don't open until 2021 but it's still too early to know.

I feel that our Superintendent is leaning towards not reopening buildings right away. She is very concerned about the expense of meeting health recommendations (PPE, smaller occupancy on buses, etc.) if buildings reopen. And she stresses that safety is her highest priority.

Several "taskforces" are supposed to make a recommendation to the Board by the end of June.

She has applied to the state to run a full online school so I know she hopes to have that for an option for families at the very least.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2020

I think the next few weeks will give good insight into COVID which will then inform schools as to what direction to take.

bella84, otterpop and readingrules12 like this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 4, 2020

OP, As you called it a plan and not a decision that is a good thing. I think a school year is a long time, and keeping home students the entire year when many months might be very safe, might not be the best thing. Who knows, maybe there is a vaccine in January or February and life could be really different in Spring 2021. Maybe cases go down to nearly 0 in more states by September. So much can happen. I think it is best to decide one month or so at a time. Too much can change for the better or worse. No one knows for sure.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 4, 2020

Our state plan is to open schools in phase 4. Some parts of the states are in phase 2 already. It is definitely possible to reach the 4th stage by September when we're supposed to go back. As long as we hit the certain numbers I don't see why they would not follow through with opening schools.

readingrules12 likes this.
  13. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 4, 2020

This and this

14. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 4, 2020

And with state and local revenues shrinking, it is more than understandable.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2020

According to yesterday's staff meeting, we're planning on distance learning until we start the fall semester at the end of August. That being said, we'll keep revisiting things.

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2020

Our district is pretty tight lipped. A lot of people are not taking this seriously here either. AS the tourists arrive, cases are on their way up. I am thinking Aug or Sept. could be our worst months. It came here later than most places. I hope they have the common sense to go back to online learning here.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2020

My community just had the first confirmed case earlier this week. Rates have hit plateau state wide. I could see us opening on time or postponing a month and opening in September after Labor Day.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 4, 2020

One of the options upper administration is presenting to the advisory committee is a hybrid model for learning:
    Students will either attend an AM or PM session on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday is no school due to synchronous teaching in the AM, a PLC meeting or staff meeting in the PM, and planning time (teachers still report full-day). During the time that students aren’t in school, they complete distance learning assignments.

Lunch will be a sack meal. AM students will take their sack lunch home and PM students will each it before their school session either in the classroom or in the cafeteria (since only half the school will be on campus, there will be plenty of room to space out students).

Recess is still up for discussion as is whether or not masks will be provided by the district.

I’m sure there are other details that will need to be addressed and ironed out before August.

The other two options are: students continue with full-time online learning or students return to school as scheduled with no modifications.

19. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jun 4, 2020

I am going crazy with wondering what will happen. I live in an isolated area where only over 100 cases occurred. My principal and admin won’t even discuss options or ideas. I feel the push in to be full on in person. Other schools nearby have broached ideas of hybrid. I plan on lesson planning this summer for online that I can enact in person if we have it. I am not going to work twice to plan!

MissCeliaB likes this.
  20. readingrules12

Jun 4, 2020

I am sure that has to be frustrating. Right now it is summer break for me, and often I get excited about doing a bit of planning for the next school year. Now things seem more uncertain, so I can understand the frustration.

I doubt many schools will do the entire 2020-21 school year with distance learning. While some might hope to have all 9+ months at school, a 2nd wave of the virus could make some distance learning a reality even in areas that look good in August. I think the reality is that lots of us will be doing both in school and distance learning in 2020-21.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2020

I am on the Teaching and Learning Task Force at my school dedicated to these kinds of matters as it pertains to COVID. We are currently designing schedules for a low risk (all on campus), moderate risk (a blended method where half of the students are on campus at a time), and a high risk scenario in which we are fully learning remotely. Our school feels it is important to have a plan and schedule ready for any potential scenario, especially since the level of risk will likely fluctuate during the year.

bella84 likes this.
  22. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2020

That’s exactly what my school is doing too. Planning for all possible scenarios and having a task force support the process.

23. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jun 12, 2020

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 12, 2020

mrsf70 and stargirl like this.
  25. readingrules12

Jun 12, 2020

Wow! So according to this article, even if a situation would occur where health experts would see a huge outbreak of COVID-19 in some communities, they would still need to endanger the health and lives of the staff, parents, grandparents, and others? If it is safe to do so, then I can see that opening the schools is needed. However, we should learn from NY City where nearly 100 staff members, which included many teachers and a principal, died from COVID-19 that there is a time to have schools safely open, and a time to wait.

mrsf70, stargirl and Backroads like this.
  26. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 12, 2020

I was offered a job at a brand new school, so everything is still very much in planning still

27. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jun 12, 2020

As long as our region moves into phase 4 by August, schools CAN reopen as long as they follow state health guidelines (those haven't been released yet). My superintendent envisions we will do a hybrid with half the student body there each day. I am still unsure how this works at a high school. I guess there is a committee to figure out logistics. If we get a spike in cases and go back to phase 3 or lower, that means fully remote again.

28. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jun 12, 2020

29. readingrules12

Jun 12, 2020

Important to remember it is just a proposal..it hasn't happened yet.

mrsf70 and stargirl like this.
  30. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jun 13, 2020

And not likely to happen. Although it isn't safe to assume and not say anything.

readingrules12 likes this.
  31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 15, 2020

My school is small and there are only 6 students per classroom so it might be easier for us to reopen without a hybrid model. We shall see!