Anyone else's belly looking and feeling like a bowl full of jelly?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 7, 2010

I don't know about you all, but I've gone up about four pants sizes since I started teaching. I can blame some, but not all of it on teaching because I've always had very unhealthy eating habits. I just never gained weight because I played sports regularly in high school and college.

HS it was especially easy to stay skinny because I didn't have a car which meant I couldn't drive to McDonalds and I didn't have much money, so I had to eat school lunch, which you all know is pretty terrible. Most days, all I'd have was the soup.

It's going to be really really hard for me, but I signed up to workout at a local gym that's on my route home from work. As soon as I finish typing this, I'm going to blow the dust off my gym bag and tennis shoes and pack it so I'll be all ready tomorrow.

So I'm curious, what do you all do to keep/get in shape?

OH and sidebar: I was sorely dissapointed because I tried to Atkins diet and while it DID curve my appetite, I only lost .4 lbs. I was so dissapointed because it was VERY hard to eat mostly meat and veggies and not the pastas, chips, sodas and sugar that I so love. :dizzy:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 7, 2010

Darn it! I typed a big response that got lost!

Basically . . . eat less, more more. And don't do anything that you can't keep up long-term because it's a lifestyle change.

I'm working on that part. I was 155-165 (upper end of acceptable weight for my height/build) from age 12 to age 31. Then I gained 90 pounds in 3 months. I've been tryign to get that weight off for 9 years! I got 45 off with the help of a nutritionist and metabolism-boosting medication. After 6 months I had to be taken off the medication, and I gained back 10 of that.

I'm working on starting an exercise program now that we have a gym in town. I used to walk 7 miles 3-5 times a week and take aerobics/weight training twice a week. I know I'm not up to that much yet, but I've got to do something.

Good luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2010

I just had to laugh at the title of this thread! :lol:

I work out every day at the gym. I pack up my gym bag the night before so there is no excuse (and no rushing around to get it done in the am!). I pack quick, smaller meals that I can just pick up and go in the morning. It's hard to give up everything I love so I just make sure to watch my portions. I'm getting better! I just have like 5 lbs to go and to tone up a little more. Good luck!

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2010

Total commitment....... :hugs:

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

I have a bowl full of jelly but it's because I had a kid and the elasticity in my skin isn't quite the same!

I'm on WW and have lost 51 lbs and counting (i'm well to my goal but want to get skinnier)

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2010

I have gained 120 lbs in the 9 years that I have been teaching.

So, no advice. But yes - I understand.

8. smalltowngal

Dec 7, 2010

Congrats, TeacherApr!

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 8, 2010

I was in the same position. I really was unhappy I had gone up two pant sizes. We bought Kayaks two summers ago, and I loved it, was out on the water 2/3 times a day. I found that I had lost weight. When it was time to take the boats out of the water for the winter I wondered what I could do. I searched Craig's list for an exercise bike and found one for $20 brand new! I use it every night watching Cash Cab, one of my favorite shows.

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 8, 2010

I have gained about 20 lbs since I started working which is a huge bummer because I lost 10lbs over the summer. I don't have time to go to the gym but I really want to start doing a DVD once my husband gets home at night. At least I need to quit eating after the kids go to bed....I eat ok during the day but after 8 is when I splurge and it has gotten out of control!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2010

I lost 20 pounds last year...I looked ok before that (never a bowl full of jelly...EEK) but I'm definitely more toned and fit...I walk 20-30 minutes every day at lunch time (rain, shine, snow)...and ride my exercise bike every night for 30 minutes. I'm a vegetarian, consume little sugar and generally don't snack.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2010

Ok cza........ I know you look great BUT you need some vices...... you know to round out your life. ......... I have plenty... so I'll loan you a couple..........:lol::lol::lol:

13. smalltowngal

Dec 8, 2010

:lol: Major!

cza~what does a typical daily menu look like for you? I'd love to swing towards the vegetarian life style of eating.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2010

My vices:
    Cabernet sauvignon
    men in uniform
    The Yankees and the Patriots- and a big beer and a hot pretzel while watching them
    I occcasionally chew my nails

and I have a shoe problem

I'm not a vegan- I do eat eggs, dairy and fish...

Breakfast: fruit or a breakfast 'sandwich' (sandwich thin, Weight Watcher cheese), or sometimes an egg white...coffee

Lunch- Salad, or left over veggies from dinner, or soup, or a sandwich thin sandwich with hummous, fat free cheese, greens...

Dinner- Fish or Veggie burger, or salad...

2 glasses of wine on Friday afternoon...(and maybe one or two more sometime during the week depending on the day...but wine is a fruit afterall, no animals were involved in its production...:lol:)

I take vitamins...

:)

15. smalltowngal

Dec 9, 2010

Thanks, cza! I'm going to try to start eating like this!

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 9, 2010

wow thanks 4 the advice. i think i need a workout buddy. would it be weurd 2 post on craigslist if i cant ind a riend or coworker

17. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 14, 2010

I'll also through out that my team is throwing a workout DVD on the smartboard and doing it in someone's classroom a couple times a week. We realized we needed the help and motivation of a buddy :)

18. smalltowngal

Dec 15, 2010

Em_Catz~there is a website (I can't remember the exact website), but it sets people up with a workout buddy. I'll try to track down the website.

Here's the website: http://www.exercisefriends.com/home.aspx

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 15, 2010

I'm right with you Em! I have really slacked lately. I signed up on this site: www.myfitnesspal.com
    You can track your calories and exercise and it will even give you a calorie goal for the day so that you will lose X pounds in X amount of time. You can add friends (If you like Facebook you will like this). I am on there so if you want to sign up I can add you as a friend.