ANYONE ELSE

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by #1 Mrs. H, Aug 1, 2007.

1. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 1, 2007

feeling like Eeyore?

"Nobody loves me, I got no home of my own.":(

I've just been putting on a brave face for family and friends and I really needed to throw out that bit of self-pity. I knew this was a safe place! I feel better already! :woot:

3. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I think we should go have our own party. I just started another LTS job. That makes 8 LTS jobs in 5 years. I am having an identity crisis!!!

4. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Big time! Nearly everyone I know has been hired and I feel like an absolute oaf. I try not to let it get to me though. A lot of it is timing, luck and experience. It is hard to get that first job.
    Hang in there, every dog has his day.

5. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Are you married, or do you have a long term boyfriend? Because my husband jokes that he likes that I'm a sub cuz I'm someone new everyday!:lol:

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I am married. We celebrated our 22nd anniversary in June. I don't want to be a sub anymore. I was a day to day sub for 5 years and now a LTS sub for 5 years. I just want a place of my own!!!!

7. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I feel like Eeyore a lot latey too. :(

8. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 1, 2007

YES!! I can definetly identify with this. And I am new to this field but it is great to have the support system available to vent to:)

9. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Don't worry yet guys. And besides everyone here at a to z loves ya. The other guys just don't know how great you are yet. Keep going and it will happen. go team go!

10. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Remember many schools are just getting ready to register kids and this is when the new ones show up. Keep checking the job posts. Also I was offered a job, many years ago, three weeks after school started and ADM reports were done and they were given the go ahead to hire more teachers, so keep checking even after school begins.

11. mymelody

mymelody Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I'm on the same boat. I've been feeling so down lately of job
    hunting.
    I've been teaching at a private school for seven years
    and I am currently looking for another teaching position at
    either a public or charter school. I've submitted my documents
    and had some interviews but nothing concrete yet. However,
    I still have a teaching position at the private school just in case.

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I was definitely feeling the Eeyore in me coming out for the past few weeks!! Three calls for interviews since last Monday have lifted my black cloud a little, but the real honey (or hunny) of receiving an offer would truly make me feel a little more Tigger!!!!

13. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I feel a little better after reading how everyone feels. I've only had two interviews. One interview seemed fake. It was like they already had someone else in mind because they were rushing us. Today I had an interview an I feel like I didn't do very well. After I left I realized all the other things I should have said. To top it off I'm a single mother of two. I feel so much pressure to find a job.

14. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I can definitely relate. I keep sending out resume packets and I have heard nothing since June. I had two interviews this whole may-aug hiring season. One was a complete joke-like someone else mentioned I think it was a fake interview. I waited to meet with principal over an hour and a half before finally getting in to see him and then I was only in the office for ten to fifteen minutes max. The other school I interviewed for went well, at first. The first two interviews went great and now here I am waiting over a month later and I have not heard back from principal about when I'm supposed to come in to meet with superintendent and I'm worried that I'm now out of the running. The principal has yet to respond to an email I sent her three weeks ago.

15. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Write them a thank you and mention all those things you should have said.

16. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 2, 2007

It is exciting to see other people are getting jobs daily. It will happen for us too. Hang in there chicas, our jobs are coming!

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Last year I couldn't take not finding a job any more. I finally applied way out in No Where Land. I was offered the job 10 mins after the interview. I was able to come home this year. I know how you are all feeling. Sending lots of good luck vibes to all of you to find your dream job or any job at this point!

18. KW_P4edu

KW_P4edu Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

It's the saaaaaaaaame here. I go through periods of Eeyore and then tell myself to buck up. Going through school I was always first in the class; now I feel like I'm worth nothin'. We all know it's not true though. Keep the faith...our job is out there somewhere!!!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

This board helps me to vent out my frustrations so I don't drag it into my family life. Believe me I know that pressure to find a teaching gig. My hubby is a teacher and it's been really hard on us financially the last year since I had to student teach. If I hear one more person tell me "I would have thought you would already have a job!" I am going to scream.

20. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

This is to everyone, but have you tried other districts? Even private schools? Being a LTS says they have confidence in your abilities, and it's good teaching experience. When you're a good substitute crazily enough they don't want to let you go...try somewhere else if you haven't already.
    Good luck to all of you and remember we are praying "for those still searching" on the prayer forum. :)

21. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

P.S. It's not you, it's the market. When I was looking in CA, there were anywhere from 500 to 1,500 applicants for each open position. (It's probably so much worse now, enrollment has dropped steeply all over Southern California.) When I was looking, my Godfather told me professional positions are much more difficult to obtain than others, because there are so many wonderfully qualified candidates and there are so few positions. He's a director at one of the State Universities.
    Good luck again! I admire your patience. :)

22. mymelody

mymelody Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

You're right eduk8r! I attended a Teacher Job Fair in June in my area and there were hundreds applying for elementary teaching position. There were only a handful of districts accepting multiple subj. cred. due to low enrollment here in SoCal. They were even recommending a multiple subj. teacher to get a special ed. or a single subj. cred. Some have suggested to accept a substitute or teacher assistant position but I need benefits and stability. There were plenty of opening for special ed. and Math/Science. I think there's over supply of multiple subj. cred. teacher here. There's so much competition since so many of us teachers here have master and credential.
    For awhile I thought of relocating. That is up in the air in the future.
    I pray everyday of landing a contract with a school district.
    Thanks for all your support. It's a relief not being alone.

23. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I have tried everywhere. I lost count on how many application packets I sent out, but I sent them to districts in 4 counties. Unfortunately we cannot relocate at this time in our lives.

24. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I feel your pain!

I can't tell you how many resumes I have sent out since the spring.
    I have had 3 interviews and no offers. In fact, two districts have not even responded to me after the interviews. I went back to school for my certification after my children were older. I spent ten years in a professional career and never had interviewing experience like this. The one district, invited me back for a demo lesson. It was the most difficult thing I ever had to do. I though I did well and then the letter came saying how difficult it was to select one candidate " from a field of many qualified applicants" and that they had chosen someone else.

I keep searching for openings every day and sending out more and more resumes... to no avail.

I am ready to give up! It's so hard when your kids ask you "Mom, did you get the job?" and you have to explain that they chose someone else.

I didn't think it would be this hard to land a job...:( :(

25. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 3, 2007

That is really the worst part. BUT, good news! I actually found a posting for a 7th grade LA teacher online late Wednesday night. I drove over there (about 1/2 hour) to drop my things off in person. I met the principal for 20 minutes!! He thanked me for coming in and said although he'd already recieved 45 apps via email by 10:30 that morning, I was the only one to hand deliver, and it does make a difference! He said. "Just to give you a headsup and a timeline, we'll be interviewing and hiring the week of August 13th and the teacher will need to report to professional development training on August 20th."

I think that will at the very least net me an interview. Keep your fingers crossed!;)

26. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I am in the same boat. I had another career and I never interviewed so many times without landing a position. I have had 5 interviews and no offers. It is very discouraging.

I keep tying to call schools, but they are not answering phone calls and the school in one district is closed on Fridays!

It is getting expensive to keep sending out these big packets as well. It was exciting at first, but now I would rather not spend 4-5 dollars on them when I still don't have a job.

On the other hand, (there is almost always the other hand) we still have 3-4 weeks to get something!!!! People will leave or move around, or retire and we will all get jobs! Yeah! Don't worry teachers, we will get jobs!:)

27. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

4-5 dollars a packet? What are you sending out? Try emailing your dox instead.

The job hunting in education is NOTHING like job hunting in corporate America. I too come from ten years in the "real world" and never had issues like this. But, in the real world, you are not responsible for a classroom full of peoples little treasures. Also, in the real world, you are being paid by a company that makes money on a product - education is funded by people's tax dollars and the people don't want to pay!!!!
    Keep your collective chins up - when it is time, your job will come to you (after some really hard work)!

28. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Woo hoo! :)