Anyone else???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by txhotrod, Sep 9, 2010.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

Ok I am wondering if anyone else could say this and have made it to the other side??

I taught 1 year in public and since then have either not worked, subbed, or worked in preschools to be home with my kids. Tryed to land a job 5 yrs ago...no luck started back this last year subing in local district (been here going on 6 yrs)

And at the risk of sounding crazy I really feel that I have been black listed and for what I'm not sure....When I sub they love me teachers/school will call me back lots...but I feel that I am running out of opputunities and hubby is DOWN on schools at this point and says that after next summer it may be time to move on...what would i do????

Teaching is me..I am a teacher!!!

But I cant get a your hired...done LOTS of prep and research before interivews....and when i look at who is hired i dont get it

Has anyone else had this trouble and found work??? :(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

I got my first two teaching jobs after my first interview. We then moved and I have been trying to get into this district for 4 years as a teacher. I have subbed, tutored, and am currently an aide in a middle school. I'm STILL looking for a teaching job!

4. tch&lrn2

tch&lrn2 New Member

Sep 9, 2010

Finding a teaching job now adays under the current political/economic conditions throughout the nation can be very stressful. In many places, sadly as it might sound, landing a job is matter of having the "right" relatioships as opposed to having the right crendentials :( although, being "highly qualified is important. To better your chances, it always help to make solid "people-connections." Help, volunteer, collaborate, and assist...continue to make yourself noticed. Get your lingo together..."all children can and must learn" does not pass as a viable philosophy anymore. Your lingo should include words such as passion and commitment for..., love and compassion for..., data driven instruction, and differentiated instruction, accountability, to name a few. Before your interview, don't forget to send your cover letter with your resume, follow up after the interview, and don't forget to do your homework by diggin as much information as you can from the about the target school (the school report card, the school improvement plan, etc.) from the Internet!! Good luck...hope this help.

5. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Sep 11, 2010

I agree with the statement about it's who you know. I know that it's not true of every teacher out there, but many (I know) got their positions based on knowing someone. No doubt, they were qualified, but if it were not for knowing someone then they may have never got hired.
    My first year of college my professor told us all that if we wanted to be a teacher then we better know someone. I'm seeing that he was right. However, I still haven't given up on finding a permanent position!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

I've been fortunate, but haven't had to search for a job in many years. Maybe your resume and cover letter could use some tweaking/a spelling and grammar check.

7. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

ummmm when typing on here its not always gonna be perfect...of course a resume is

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

Oh, you would be STUNNED at some of the typos we've seen on resumes.

Not the ones posted here-- the ones we've received from teacher applicants.

One last spring got the name of the school wrong-- and don't even get me started on her cover letter!!!

Needless to say, she wasn't called in for an interview.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2010

Not trying to speak for someone else, but I don't think cza meant yours definitely would have errors...but sometimes a fresh eye can do wonders to a resume. Feel free to post it, there are experts here!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

:yeahthat:

Not assuming that the OP would have errors. It's always just a good suggestion to have 'extra eyes' look at cover letters and resumes. There are several of us here on the forums who have served on hiring committees and could help with 'tweaking' if the OP (or anyone else) wants an extra look. ;)

txhotrod-
    Are you still using the resume you posted here:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=1299257#post1299257
    I think we could definitely help polish it up to make you more marketable.

11. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

yes i am that was my newest version as of a few months ago...so I'm always changing it so fire away :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

MY PERSONAL CONTACT INFO HERECenter this at top of page, home address, phone, email (a professional sounding email address- open a new one if you have to, we've had candidates with questionable email 'names')

Professional Competencies(this is done in two columns in bullet format)
    Bottom line, these are pretty much EXPECTED competencies and skills- you could highlight your strongest skills in your job descriptions under work experience below...I'd pretty much get rid of this part otherwise
    — Effective Classroom Management
    — Flexibility
    — Positive Collaboration with Team Members
    — Creative Lesson Planning
    — Curriculum Development
    — Differentiated Instruction —
    Conduct Small Group Learning
    — Learner Assessment Formal/Informal
    — Student Engagement
    — Special Needs Students/IEPs
    — Implement Standardized Testing
    Teacher/Parent Communication

ExperienceMake sure all of your verbs are in the same tense...
    Wylie ISD, 2009~2010
    Substitute Teacher: Elementary level
    •Successfully manage students and implement lesson plans designated by classroom teacher

Preschool, 2007~2010, cITY,TX
    Teacher: 3yr old classroom
    •Taught basic concepts in colors, shapes, letter/number recognition and sound in fun hands on activities
    •Fostered a love and desire for learning in students
    •Instructing Instructed students individually and in groups, adapting Adaptedteaching methods to meet students' varying needs and interests
    •Providing Provideddaily communication with parents

Richardson ISD, Garland ISD, & Plano ISD, 2002~2004
    Substitute Teacher: Elementary level
    •Successfully managed students and implemented lesson plans designated by classroom teacher
    •Repeatedly requested by schools and teachers for both long and short term assignments for all elementary levels (K-6th)

Pre School, 2001~2002, CITY, TX
    Teacher: PK
    •Developed hands-on, open-ended activities to prepare students for success in kindergarten
    •Guided in appropriate social development and conflict resolution
    •Provided daily communication with parents
    Conductedparent conferences twice during the school year

XYZ Elementary, 2000~2001, cITY,TX
    Teacher: Kindergarten
    •Implemented the district adopted curriculum using best practices to achieve student success and interest
    •Used both informal and formal assessment to guide instruction
    •Provided daily and weekly communication with parents

Professional Development
    2/08 Brain Development Workshop by Gayle Fuller Med
    11/07 Enhancing Literacy Development by Dr. Judith Gasser
    6/05 Hot Topics in Social Studies (Region 10)
    4/04 Habits of The Mind (Region 10)
    3/04 Dyslexia Assessment: The Process (Region 10)
    2/04 Differentiated Instruction in Math (Region 10)
    9/03 Serving Low Incidence Children & Youth with Disabilities in High Standards Environment (Region 10)
    ESL Certification Prep Class (Region 10)
    3/01 Kindergarten Conference BER
    6/00 Kindergarten Reading Academy

Education & Credentials
    TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY @ COMMERCE — Commerce, TX
    BA in Elementary Education, 2000Put your GPA if it is excellent
    Texas Standard Teacher Certification: Elem Self Contained, ECE (Grades pK-6), and ESL (EC-4)

You have good experience but you come across as a 'typical' candidate. You need to really sell yourself with the resume and cover. A lot of what you highlight in your experience is the expected...Add in some about what have you created, how have you gone beyond what the 'norm' is, what were some of those 'best practices' you utilized? What specific philosophies/programs did you implement in your instruction (Reading Workshop, Balanced Literacy Approach, Investigations Math..Etc) ...Stronger action verbs could also make even the 'regular' bullets come across as more dynamic...

I'm sure others will weigh in, but I'm sure with some polishing, your resume can make you a more attractive candidate.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

I feel your pain. I have subbed for 13 years and been fully credentialed for five years, yet no job.
    If I was younger, I would maybe go back for a specialty credential to weed out the competition.
    I have a Multiple subject credential, but no specialty. Therefore, it is hard to compete with candidates who are bilingual and 30 years younger.
    I am thinking of targeting private schools.

14. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

I would contact the college you went to and see if you can meet with a career advisor and ask them to look over your resume and help you with it. You can do that once your an alumni. I sent mine in before I graduated and they TORE it apart. I felt like my resume was horrible, but I made the suggested changes and I feel like it was really necessary. As many probably have noticed on here, im a horrible speller and often will use the wrong words. Lol everyone makes misteaks :)