Anyone else using Ms. Powell's Token Economy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jmevno, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I using Ms. Powell's Token Economy system this year. I have already made my chips and organized them. However I am working on my parent letter and somehow it has turned out to be page and half long. Is this too long or should I shorten it? What does yours look like?

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I'm thinking about using it, but I haven't committed yet. Have you used it before?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I am going to use it. I have a policy typed that is about a paragraph, however, it is saved in Word and e-mailed to myself as an attachment. I don't have word, so I can't open it at home....
    I'll work on accessing it though.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

No such luck. I can post it Thursday or Friday...

6. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

No I have never used it. This is my 4th year teaching and have tried variations of a stoplight system. When I was in college we were taught to use some kind of token economy. I guess I was just doing what ever one else at my school is doing and hated it. So I am going to try this.

http://www.kinderfrogs.com/management.plan.doc

Click on the link and it will open up my management plan that I typed.

7. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

No, but I love it and I am going to try it this year.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I am using a system similar to the token economy. Here is the letter I included in my parent handbook:

Our Classroom Management system this year is called “ Go For The Gold! ” It is a positive behavior plan that rewards students for all the good things they do in and out of the classroom: completing work, staying on task, respecting themselves and others…and other activities that show responsible and acceptable behavior.
    The students are assigned Spirit Awards with their name written on them. ( Radiant Stars, Rockin’ Rainbows, or Buzzing Bumblebees.) Spirit Awards are awarded to students who exhibit praiseworthy actions, and are collected in our Go For the Gold container.
    During the week, when there is a situation in which a student needs to be selected for a privilege or special responsibility, a Spirit Award will be pulled from the container. Occasionally Spirit Awards will be pulled for trips to the Treasure Chest.
    Students learn that the higher the incidence of good behavior, the more likely they will be given extra privileges or responsibilities.
    Every Friday, the Go For the Gold winner for the week will be chosen by counting the Spirit Awards remaining in the container. The winner will have the privilege of placing the Spirit Award trophy on their desk for the next week. Their name will also be placed on our Go For the Gold Classroom Banner.

Hope this helps some.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

I really like Ms. Powell's plan, but I'm not sure how I'll adapt it to a departmentalized setting....

I might just have to label my tokens A1, A2...B1, B2...C1, C2...etc, etc. for each class. That's a lot of token, though :eek:hmy:

By the way, if you think your behavior plan letter might be too long, post it here and we'll help you edit it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  10. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Well here it is. There is a link in another post too. I know it is alot but the one I used last year was almost just as long.

Classroom Management Plan

Rules
    Of course with all this going on in a classroom, we must have some way to maintain a positive classroom environment. Therefore we follow these FROG rules:
    F-Fair-I promise to be fair, whether I am taking a test,
    playing a game or playing with a friend.
    R-Responsibility-I promise to take responsibility for all my
    actions.
    O-Organization-I promise to keep my materials organized.
    G-Good Listening Skills-I promise to always have my
    listening ears on and listening.

Now I know these rules are pretty basic and are not specific, but as we continue on our Kindergarten journey, as a class, we will develop rules and procedures for everything we do. I find it important to set some standards, but rules will become more meaningful if we work together to create our class rules.

This year in an effort to focus on positive behaviors in the class, I will not be doing a stop light/point system. I know this is different, but I am looking forward to the change. I believe that by focusing on the positive behaviors of the students and not the negative it will make for a better classroom community. I also believe that by using a stop light/point system it focuses on the negative behavior of students. In years past, I have noticed that children focus on who is on a S, N, or U. By focusing on the negative, I am not focusing on the positive.

To promote positive behaviors in the class, I will use a Token Economy system. Each child will be assigned a classroom number. As I see the children doing positive things such as helping others, following through with good work habits, using good manners, and working cooperatively, I will place a token in the bag. Tokens may not be awarded every single time and that it will be a surprise. I will be the only one who determines when a token is added for positive behaviors. If your child asks, I will tell him/her that s/he has done a wonderful job, but no.

By taking the time to focus on the positive behaviors, children are learning what is expected of them in the classroom. I hope this leads to a more positive classroom environment. One where students feel free to discuss ideas, move around the class, and do not have to fear ridicule. In the past, I have noticed that when I focus on negative so do the children. When focusing on the negatives it tends to isolate children or even humiliate them. Nine times out of ten it is always the same child who ends up on a U.

Rewards
    Students will be rewarded by pulling tokens with their number. This may include running a special errand, pass out supplies, work problems on the board, hold a prop while I teach, choosing read alouds, or other spontaneous needs that arise. Since good behavior is what causes tokens to be added to the bag, the higher incidence of good behavior, the more likely they are to be given extra privileges and responsibilities.

Consequences
    Since this systems focuses on the positive, it does not have a set of guidelines to follow for rule infractions. However, there must be consequences for their actions. When rules are broken they will be dealt with immediately instead of later when the child cannot remember what happened. By dealing with the situation immediately the child will be able to recall details of the event and be able to discuss actions as well as consequences.

That being said consequences will be more logical. For example, if your child knocks over the blocks the logical consequence is to help pick them up. If your child spills something, then they have to clean it up. I like to use the motto if you broke it, then you fix it. This includes feelings, papers, pencils, and anything else that might get broken.

Most of the time behaviors occur when you not available to discuss it immediately. For these occasions, the child will need to draw me a picture of what s/he did wrong and then turn the paper over to draw what s/he should have done or how to fix the problem. These pictures will be sent home in your child’s Froggy Folder.

Grading System
    With this type of system it is hard to put a grade on your child’s effort. Since I still like a visual for the children to look at I will give each child a frog to place in the pond. Your child will stay in the pond as long as they are displaying positive behaviors. Too many misbehaviors will result in their frog being moved out of the pond. Although I anticipate this to be a last resort. As long as your child was able to stay in the pond all week they will receive a S for their weekly conduct.

If at any point in time, I feel that we need to meet due to a child’s behavior I will schedule a conference. I will not be reporting behavior daily, unless it is needed. I will let you know from time to time on your child’s behavior. Please be assured no news is good news.

11. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

jmevno-it sounds great! i might have to borrow yours and try it in my own classroom.
    question--so a student get his/her token put into the bag. when do you draw a token? whenever a special job arises?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I know this gets back to bingo chips and no money, but you could color code your classes.
    1st class- Red chips
    2nd class- blue chips

something like that. Another thing to consider- you will not need very many chips per child because you won't have them all day.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

See? This is why I need you guys, I never thought of that ;)

14. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Feel free to borrow what you like.

Here is the website were I saw the idea. http://www.mspowell.com/tokensystem.html

I am going to put the tokens in, at least until the children learn the system and are able to manage. In the beginning I will give out more and draw more until they are comfortable with the system. But I am figuring I will draw tokens when a special job arises. For example, going on an errand, getting something for me, holding something, or calling on students. I might even pull tokens to give out treats at the end of the day.

Just go to her website and she has lots of suggestions and variations.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

Pisces~ This just occured to me. You don't have to color code or do 1A, 1B, etc... You only have to have separate jars/bags for each class.