Anyone else teach Religious Ed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2010

I teach my daughter's 5th grade Religious Ed class every week. We use one of the classrooms of the Catholic School.

I just went to Vistaprint and ordered a banner as a Thank You to the class whose room we borrow. It's a quote from Walt Disney: "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

If they show up free again, I'm hoping to also get each kid in that class a small magnet (the kids in my class are already getting one as a Christmas gift-- a Nativity scene with Christmas wishes.)

Not a big deal, but one of those middle of the night ideas that still make sense the next morning.

We've been talking a lot about putting your faith into action-- about DOING stuff as opposed to talking about it. So I figure that a thank you Christmas gift is a good way to "walk the walk."

We'll also take part in Macy's Make a Wish promo, as will my own kids, my classes, my homeroom, and my Sodality group in school. My Sodality group is Seniors, and we do the Make a Wish thing every year-- they really look forward to it.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 24, 2010

I teach everything except Religion. I have the most wonderful young lady who comes in for a 1/2 an hour each day to teach religion. She loves what she does, and the kids love her, too. I really "lucked out" in getting her. She is a real blessing.

4. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 24, 2010

I do.
    Our theme this year is to walk in truth. So, we are spending the year finding ways to put our faith into actions, but without seeking acknowledgment or acclaim. We have done several anonymous things. I love the idea of the banner!
    I think it is great to find those who serve your community and do something to recognize and thank them. For example, Christmas morning there will be families whose parent/brother/aunt/cousin will be at the hospital, fire station and police department serving our community. Is there something you can do to show appreciation to them? (maybe deliver cookie platters and a nice note?)
    I love knowing many people are in various places doing what we know to be in line with our faith and encouraging our children to do the same. What a wonderful world!:love:

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

I teach religion to 7th grade.

In October, we went on a field trip to a place that lets you visit "homes" from around the world that impoverished people might live in. It was very eye-opening for the students. I don't think they realized that there are people who don't have the basic necessities - food, water and shelter.

We had a great discussion about it and we talked about how as Catholics, feeling bad for these people isn't enough. We actually have to do something about it. So my class decided to do a school-wide fundraiser around Valentine's Day and all the proceeds will go to a charity of their choice.

I was really proud of them for taking the initiative. Alice, I agree with you. It's important for them to do more than just talk about.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2010

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 24, 2010

I teach high school rel ed- both Confirmation groups- level 1 and level 2. Meanwhile, I teach kindergarten- so pretty much opposite of you with teaching high school all day and then doing elementary kids for rel ed. I have also done 5th and 6th grade rel ed. It is amazing to see the growth and the changes and everything else. I love it!

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 25, 2010

Alice,

I think this is a wonderful idea! While I taught religion as part of our daily curriculum in my Catholic school, my class was also borrowed for afterschool Religious Ed classes.

I had the most WONDERFUL teacher in there! She the students and me presents for cChristmas, Easter and the end of the year! She would also "over replace" anything she borrowed! Once she panicked abut borrowing 2 Post-It notes and left a whole enw package on my desk the next week!!!

That classroom teacher is lucky to have you!:hugs:

9. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Nov 25, 2010

I teach 2nd in a Catholic school, but my classroom is borrowed for Religious Ed. The teachers in there are great, but sometimes kids get there first and destroy my room. I always hide my candy and electronics over the weekend. : ( I think your idea is an awesome one! We usually adopt an angel from the St. Vincent DePaul angel tree as a class, but this year one of my students is on the tree so I didn't feel it would be appropriate. We also have made cards to put in the Thanksgiving baskets for St. Vincent DePaul. As for gifts, I always give my kids a book from Scholastic or Angel Book Clubs that has a Christmas theme.