anyone else teach K/1??

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissJennifer, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Aug 13, 2010

So, I teach at a small private school. And I just found out I'm moving up from PreK - to K/1. It was an unexpected change, but I'm excited about it! However....I'm a bit nervous about teaching the split class. Right now my class has 12 kids (7 Kinder and 5 1st) - I know all of the kids but one, (I've already had the kinder kids two years!) so that's nice because I know where they are all at pretty well, and know their personalities and what not. But....how would you approach the first week? I'm not worried at all about the Kindergarten part - but I don't want it to be too "baby-ish" for the 1st graders. And, all of these kids have been in Preschool or PreK (most of them both - with me as their teacher) - so we won't have the typical first week "jitters" - at least i don't anticipate it at least.

So....any tips for the first week? They're all familiar with the school (except for one student), they all have known each other since they were 3, I don't want to feel like we have to jump right into too much, but I just don't know!

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed that this is all happening 3 weeks before school starts!!! Help!!! :)

3. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I am teaching a K/1. I only have 16 right now which is ridiculously low for public school. I'd love to teach private school but the salary is low and insurance is an issue.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I taught a k/1 class for the last two years and really enjoyed it. The first week I still spent similar to when I taught just k. I still spent a lot of time practicing routines (even with my 1st graders who were returning- sometimes I even had them model for the class) and getting to know each other. I feel it's always important (especially in multiage) to do community building activities so they know that even though they are two grades, they are one class. Most of my lessons were done in large groups the first 2 weeks with short small groups more for the practice than for structured curriculum. If you have any other questions, let me know!

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

I guess I sort of fall into this category. I teach at a small private school, as well. I will be taking the 1st graders for a combined Science lab class with my Kinders and I will have the 1st graders once a week for music. I am excited about the combination because it lets the 1st graders feel like the "big" kids for a small part of their week. :D

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Thanks for the advice - I know it'll all come together, mostly I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed, since this is all happening three weeks before school starts! MsM7 - I may pick your brain for more ideas - but thanks for the encouragement. Your ideas are what I had in mind, so it's good to have confirmation. :)

7. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Anytime! I asked everyone and anyone for help when I first started. It will be overwhelming when you start but once you have your routines down it will be great! I loved watching the kids grow so much throughout the 2 years I had them and it really can benefit all children. I'm actually sad to return to a k only class this year- except for having only one grade of curriculum to get through. Good luck!