Anyone else struggling to keep students and yourself motivated now?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GeetGeet, May 18, 2015.

1. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 18, 2015

I still have a month left with the students, but they seem to be checking out (especially because APs just ended) more and more. Most of my students are still willing to work, but there's just a sense of wilting energy. I think it's rubbing off on me! I still do the best I can, but I definitely have a nagging sense of "blah-ness", for lack of a better term. Anyone else in this place? Do you struggle to be as "into it" at the end of the year?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 18, 2015

Oh, yes. My seniors only have about 12 days of class left, and it's always a challenge. I found myself looking toward next year, thinking about what I might do differently, so I'm kind of ready for the year to be over, too.

4. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 18, 2015

that makes me feel better!

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 18, 2015

I've given my final, and STAR testing, and I'm officially checked out even though we have a month or so. I have my entire year already planned out, so I have no work to do there, and my mind has moved onto what I'm doing this summer.

We just have one big project before the end of the year, and the last two weeks are just parties and movies and graduation.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 19, 2015

I try to not play into the end of the year blahs. I try to keep going like the end is far away. It seems like if my students feel like I'm winding down, too, they hit the brakes hard. So, even though I know how many days are left in the school year, my attitude doesn't show it.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 19, 2015

The one thing keeping my students going is that I've saved our poetry study for the final few weeks of the year. My freshman LOVE poetry, but it doesn't exactly hit any standards. Therefore, we brought it in to the end of the school year after testing as a bonus unit. I love reading and writing poetry as well, so it's keeping me going. That being said, a depressing number of my students realized they could mentally check out of this final quarter and pass for the year, and I have more of them failing than passing this final grading period.

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 19, 2015

My first day of summer school starts today....I'm thrilled to have a job...although I seriously wish I could sleep in today. 4more weeks. I can do 4more weeks...blah where's the Starbucks fairy when I need them!?

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 19, 2015

This is my last full week (Memorial Day weekend followed by final exams) and I am completely on auto-pilot. My students are more or less hanging in there, with the threat of exams looming over them...I can't imagine giving my final so early, Peregrine!

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 19, 2015

I agree with this. While I am exhausted from the non-stop long days and tough mental/emotional swings of being a first year teacher that deals personally with confidence...my demeanor in class is the exact same and we approach each day the exact same, with the slight exception of the fact there's a bunch of random events sprinkled in (testing, health ed, field day, etc...)

[granted, I'm in elem...I notice now this is in secondary]

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 19, 2015

We started 2 weeks of review for the standardized exam on May 5th. They then pushed our standardized exam BACK by 2 weeks. We're only halfway through review and it has become so mind-numbing. I can def tell that we're goofing out more and more each day, but it's tough to keep reviewing the same material and I know they're getting frustrated.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 19, 2015

We are taking our exams now. They are the last things students do. I can't imagine keeping students occupied so long after grades were in, nor can I imagine that many of mine would come if they had absences they could give and not fail on attendance.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 19, 2015

I always saved a big, FUN, unit for the end of the year. The thing that kept it going was structure. I gave the students a detailed timeline of what we would be doing every day, what was due when, and exact specifics on the assessment. So it might be something fun and involve research and art and presentations, but there were goals.

In 7th grade, we always did the Million Dollar project. 8th grade did a unit on personal finance, and 6th did a kind of modified personal finance with banking. We would take field trips related to these topics, which helped. The 7th graders would get to tour houses for sale and talk with car dealers, to get an idea of value, 6th visited a bank to see the life cycle of a check, and 8th got a visit from a loan officer and a financial planner.