Anyone else still job hunting or waiting for your assignment?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

I've been aggressively job hunting all summer and I hope/think/pray I'm on the verge of a job offer in a neighboring district that's been under a hiring freeze for years. The district has its problems, but it pays slightly higher and is in a large city. I'm currently living in a dumpy town and have been dreaming of getting out for years.

Even though I'm not ready to go back, I think if I get this job I'll get my second wind and get excited about planning for a grade I've never taught but have always wanted.

I'm feeling pretty stuck - I don't want to start thinking about next year at my current school (feels like a major regression, seeing as how bad I want out), but yet I don't want to get my hopes too high and start thinking about teaching a new grade level just yet.

Is anyone else in limbo with me?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

I am! I've been teaching K for the last 3 years & I'm ready for a change. There's a possibility of one, but my P hasn't said either way yet. I'm so ready to move up! I'm just waiting to see how things play out. He did say he was hoping to make a decision next week, so I"m hoping. If I only go up to 1st I'm okay. If I go up to 2nd or 3rd, I need time to get my stuff out of a closet that is jammed packed with things we don't use on a regular basis. It's a skinny closet so I will need DH's help to get to my teaching supplies which are in the back.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

kpa, I understand why you want to move up even though I'm looking to move down ;) I made it really clear to my P that I wanted to move. I ultimately respect her decision, but she shuffled 6 teachers and kept me in 3rd. That was a major factor in my decision to apply, apply, apply. I hope you find out soon that you're moving on up!!

5. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

I'm still on the hunt. This will be my first full time teaching position but I have been a sub for the past three years. I am starting to get worried. School starts in a little over a month and I haven't even had an interview yet. I hate waiting around.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I'm staying at my current school, but I have one period that isn't scheduled yet. It could literally end up being anything in English, 6-12. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see what I end up with.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 14, 2012

My old district had over sixty elementary positions open but is down to ten. You're going to have to get aggressive if you haven't heard anything.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 14, 2012

Not looking this year, but just wanted to remind you all to NOT give up hope yet! I was hired two weeks before school started last year (mid August)! There is still plenty of time to land the job of your dreams :)

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I've pretty much given up. I will stay at my current job another year, SELL MY HOUSE, and come up with (and photograph) some amazing lessons so that I can hit the ground running next year. I plan on cold e-mailing in January.
    Selling my house is huge, because it will allow me to expand my search area :)

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

Although, I am kind of hoping that by 'giving up', my phone will start to ring. I doubt it though. I go back the 15th, so I decided I need to start focusing for another year at my current school.

11. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Don't fret. I know that in our public school system, some teachers are hired or assigned to classes late in the summer. Some aren't assigned until a day or two before school begins! It's nerve wracking to have to wait that long, but it happens because some teachers quit, retire, or leave right before the school year begins.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Time to revamp your cover letter. And then to send it to every single public, private, religious and charter school within an hour's drive, whether or not they're showing an opening.

If there have been interviews and you haven't gotten them, then your experience isn't being presented in the best possible light.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I was hired a week into the school year--don't give up!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

Giraffe, remember most schools here in Michigan don't start until after Labor Day per state law. The exception is a couple of charter schools with an extended year and private schools. Both times when I was job hunting I didn't get hired until mid-August at the earliest.

15. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

I know I have a job in September but I don't know where (should find that out by the end of the month) or what I'll be teaching (should find that out September 3rd-- we start the 10th.)

So I'm anxiously waiting too...

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

Giraffe, I HATE to see you give up. Please keep going :hugs:

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

I know, but I feel that I have to have adequate time to prepare for my current school. I will keep applying, but I am not counting on anything.

I am in Michigan at the moment, but I will be going home next Saturday (unless I have an interview scheduled). I will not make another trip up this summer- I can't financially.
    I will go home and get my house up for sale before I go back to school! Once that is gone, I will be able to resign my current job and take a gamble next year if necessary.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

The big downside is that NC goes back so much earlier than MI. Students start the 27th, but teachers in my county report back the 15th! We have 5 Common Core training sessions and three work days before the first student day.

19. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I have a job but I still don't know my timetable, so I can't plan like I want to (probably will have new courses).

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

I'm NOT, but a good friend of mine is hoping to get hired as an SLP & I truly hopes she gets something! Another pal of mine got hired as an SLP, so I'll have another work buddy at our monthly meetings now! :)

21. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I know what grade I am teaching, but still don't have my schedule of classes yet...I probably won't until a week before school starts.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2012

I'm 95% sure I will teach the same thing with the same team, but there is the possibility that I'll be switched to work with some of the more at-risk students who need a more structured learning experience. We'll see!

23. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

I'm a searcher who is about ready to give up. I know I am in an oversaturated endorsement (primarily social studies), but have added a general middle school endorsement, and am working to add other endorsements, such as science.

I know that I'll get a teaching position, it just may not be for the 2012-2013 school year. I've learned from my interviewing mistakes and definitely feel that my last two were fantastic, I just was not offered the position, likely due to lack of experience. Of course, it is tough to GET experience if no one will give you a chance :)

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I have a job for next year at my current school. I'm the sped teacher so I know that I'll have one resource class, but I don't know what classes I'll be in other than that. I was really hoping to get a diagnostician job, but that doesn't look like it's going to pan out this year.