Anyone Else SAHM

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wannateachtx, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I just wondered if anyone else was a SAHM that was in hopes of finding a teaching job this year? Since I haven't found one, I guess I will be staying at home another year. I can't sub because it won't cover daycare for two children. Is anyone else in this situation? It seems like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need experience since I just graduated in December, but I can't afford to sub! It's a no win situation.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

EEEK- it's going to be harder to find a job next year if you are not doing something to get some experience... Do your kids go to school at all or are they still little?

4. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

No, they are 3 and 4. I still have a whole year to wait for my 4 year old to go to kinder. I did do student teaching and was a TAKS tutor in the fall along with subbing. But there just isn't enough money to pay daycare with if I don't have a full time job, so I'm having to look at jobs other than the teaching arena.

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I have always been a SAHM, but once my kids went to school, I went back into the workplace, a little at a time.

When I wasn't working, I was volunteering like crazy; I was the PTA President, VP, Seretary, Treasurer, you name it, I did it.:lol: I also coach and had a lot of interaction with kids other than my own.

I put all that on my resume and used it as life experience.

I do not know what I would have done had I attempted to work before my kids went to school. I did have family that could have watched them, but I don't know that it would have been easy.

Even now in the summer, I am lucky I have their stepmother to help me out, because if it was all me, it would be tough.

I would see if you could find a situation where you might be able to bring your children, like in an early childhood setting. At least then you could still get the experience of working with children and still have your children with you.

Good luck.

6. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I meant I was a TAKS tutor and sub in the spring. But we felt for sure I'd be able to get a job for the fall as a full time teacher...boy were we wrong.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

How about a Huntington Learning Center or a place like that where you could tutor at night? Or in the afternoon for a few hours with a teen baby sitter?

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

I'm hoping some of you manage to find an online school that needs teachers. It's SO ODD being the only virtual high school teacher on this whole forum, especially considering how many of my coworkers are also SAHMs.

9. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I second the Huntington or Sylvan idea.

10. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 29, 2008

I was in the same boat as you last year. I had two kids in childcare and subbing didn't pay - I ended up in the hole. I subbed for as long as I could, but in the end I had to stop due to finances.
    This year I lucked out and accepted a LTS position which pays certified teacher pay after the first 10 days. I will be doing this until December. Then I might have another LTS position in January-June.
    Have you looked into aid jobs? They are steadier than subbing and still get your foot in the door. Same with tutoring.

Good luck

11. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I've looked into the aid thing..there are just no openings...everyone that has been posted..when I inquire about it, it's already been filled. So I'm assuming it was already filled before they even posted it. I'm just so bummed. I went to school, sacrificed...my family sacrificed so I could go to school, and now, I can't even get a job. I'm pretty much looking at jobs doing anything now.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

12. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I'm not a SaHM, but I'm responding to catnfiddle - I am *very* interested in teaching virtually. It seems I need classroom experience first, which is why I'm searching for a position now, but it is definitely my favorite long-term plan. I have always had the hope that I could live in the middle of nowhere, and the development of satellite internet and virtual teaching makes it seem almost possible =)

13. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 29, 2008

I'm a SAHM also, and I'm also very interested in the virtual school. I was a teacher's aid for an online class while I was working on my MLS. My son is now in First Grade. We're not in dire straits, and I don't have to work if I don't want to, but we also don't have health insurance and I need to be able to support my son and myself if things get too rough at home.

Jobs have been popping up in the districts I've applied for and I've dutifully applied for them, but I either never hear from them, or get a note that they've been filled. I'm going to a subbing orientation next week. So, hopefully, I can get some experience and more recent references through that. My references are at least six years old, since I haven't worked in all that time.

14. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Also interested in the virtual schools.

To the OP: Have you thought about putting your children into pre-school? I am not sure what your current financial state is but maybe you would qualify for HeadStart or child care vouchers.

Subbing is really important in some places to get a job. I think you should look into it some more. And as others mentioned tutoring either one-on-one, through a service, or online is great!

15. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Catnfiddle...I PM you!

Thanks