Anyone else overwhelmed by...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Jul 6, 2008.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

everything new they want to do next year? We've been on break less than a month and I'm already stressing about next year! This is my 4th year teaching, but my 2nd year in 1st grade. I want to start using Lucy Culkin's Units of Study, completely change how I do my guided reading groups (maybe using Daily 5 and Jan Richardson's stuff), and add a teamwork/problem solving journal in math, which will take extensive modeling/procedure teaching. This is not part of our math program, but I think it's important. Oh, we are also implementing a new math series! I feel like my 2nd year is going to be harder, not easier, than my 1st!

3. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 6, 2008

Can you get into your school during the summer? I go in several times a week for several hours, and get so much done. Of course, I live 5 minutes from school, and I don't have children at home any more!

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Yeah, I can get into school. I guess it's more that my brain is swimming with thoughts/ideas/plans, etc. I think I've read too many new teaching books :-/

5. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I feel the same way as you. I've been on break for about five weeks now and there is still so much I would like to do. July will be over before I know it and then I'm going to wonder where my summer went!

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Except if you taught Summer School. In which case I've been on break for 1 whole week! Yey!!!:up:

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 6, 2008

I was thinking about that today - if I could start setting up my classroom today, I would. Our school is closed for July (to teachers and administration anyway). I have a workshop the last week of July and plan to go in when they open the school in August - so I only really have 3 weeks to work on stuff at home (between the things I've been putting off like home repairs and dentist appointments)! Yikes!

Of course lurking here constantly probably doesn't help - just new idea after idea I will have to try next year. ;)

8. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

But here we are--it's 9:45 and we're on the computer. Priceless!:woot:

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I've been working on integrated units and I read some prof dev books. Last summer break, I was mad I didn't at least get a quarterly lesson plan together, so I told myself I will get done. I am not even trying to write out the units now, but rather learn how to consolidate certain topics together so it won't seem like my students are frogs that are hopping from one lily pad to another!

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

At one point, I had to force myself not to think about school because I was so obsessed with everything I was going to do this year. It was also stressing me out, so I feel your pain!

11. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 7, 2008

One of my big "burdens" has been knowing that I've saved dozens of ideas on the computer that I've gotten here & other resources online. Lots of great ideas, but disorganized, and therefore, useless. Getting all that organized, printed out, & filed at school has made me feel better. Also, prioritizing is vital! Once you make a list & start crossing items off, you'll feel better!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

I only have a 6 week summer break, so I have only had time to reorganize my materials and clean out my files.

13. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

that's EXACTLY the point I'm at now - FORCING myself not to think about school - I was so obsessed up until a week ago (I'm the type that needs to get everything done EARLY so I'm not stressing out in the end), I think I finally had a nervous breakdown, went into a depression mode for like 2 days, called my doctor for Lexapro, and here I am DETERMINED not to work on school for at least 2 more weeks.....but last night lying in bed thoughts were running through my head: should I use the same conduct management system, how can I focus more on the POSITIVES (student behavior) and less on the negatives, what am I going to do the first day of school, etc...

YIKES! Then my head starts hurting from all the confusion / indecisiveness!!! :crosseyed