Anyone else not like summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 20, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

Okay at the risk of being kicked off the island, is anyone else just not a fan of summer?

The heat makes me miserable, and I get so bored! Since I teach 45 minutes from my school, it's hard to meet up with my close friends. My friends in the city I live work all day. I have a summer job nannying so most of my socialization during the day is asking a 12-year-old if he'd like anything to eat :lol:

I think it will be different if/when I have a family, but for now I miss my students and staff!

At least I'll work through some of the crafts I've pinned!

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2014

I love summer mostly because I don't have to do anything work related. I don't have get up in the mornings and fight the traffic on I-695, I don't have to think about planning lessons, I don't have to deal with my co-workers or my students. For two months, none of it exists.

During the summers I can get a real break, unlike with Christmas break where I spend the time counting down the days until I have to go back. During the summer I can actually breathe, do the things I like to do, sleep restfully and enjoy myself.

Although, I also don't like it when it gets too hot (over 90 degrees) for multiple days in a row because I don't like air conditioning since it makes me sick.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

I like waking up when my body wants to, not when the alarm says to. I like going to the pool and soaking in a little sun. I just like not having to do anything. LOL

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I'm teaching summer school so this is tely just my second day off this summer. I'm going to try to fit in all my sleep and cleaning in the three weeks I have no school activities.

So no, I'm not one who hates summer. But we won't kick you off the island.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I teach summer school so my "summer" is only 4 weeks long. I don't like the heat so I'm not a beach person or anything. Too bad I can't have 4 weeks off in the Fall when it's nice and cool!

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

I tend to get bored as the end of summer nears...but, I do love summer! My favorite part is not waking up at 5 am...Oh glory days...

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2014

Next summer maybe instead of nannying you can apply to teach summer school. Around here is lasts 4 or 5 weeks so you still get some time off, and no school on Fridays. Might make you happier than the nanny job.

And my summer vacation started this afternoon, it's a very pleasant 80 degrees, so definitely still liking summer here :).

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

I hate summer weather (air burns up too much gas too quickly, no air and I'm sweating and start feeling nauceous* and get a headache. I'm typing this from DH's car (he's driving me to pick up my vehicle) and there's traffic on the high way so we've got the air blasting.

Aside from that, I LOVE summer. I don't get lonely b/c my Mom is retired, so I hang with her sometimes during the day, then my husband and/or friends in the evening. I'm also in grad school so I don't have much free time anyway.

I'm taking a few small vacations, catching up on my favorite shows, organizing our apartment and downsizing so when it's time to move into our house (we've narrowed it down!) we can pack quickly, cooking (so i can stock the freezer), working on my novel, exercising, shopping and sleeping in, plus grad school, so, yeah loving my summer and keeping busy,

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

Hot weather makes me miserable and does horrible things to my roseacea. Running outside is a horrid experience. I'd rather run in 8F weather than 80F weather.

Oddly, I don't handle down time very well. This is the first year in ages I'm not teaching summer school. I finished my grad school assignments over a week early just for something to do. If I could get the next class' professor to tip me off to the reading for his first week, I'd be thrilled.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

A novel! Wow! I have always wanted to have something of mine published (which would mean I would have to write it first!).

I am going to be Netflixing it this summer!! Woohoo!!!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2014

The one & only thing I hate about summer is the sweltering weather. Everything else about it (no or less work, the carefree feeling, etc.), I like! And I'm never bored no matter what time of the year it is!

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I wouldn't say that I hate it, but I do get bored. This week has been the only full week that I really have with no work this summer. My friends outside of school aren't teachers, so no one else is off, and my family lives several states away. I do enjoy sleeping in, but I'll actually be excited when summer school starts. It's about 5 hours a day (4 with kids, 1 hour paid planning time) and I'll be done at noon, so it will give me something to do but the reduced hours and reduced stress (no testing, meetings, school committees, or anything else that's not actually teaching going on) are still a break for me. I don't think I'd like it if I had no summer school. Next week I have a full PD day for summer school and then I'm flying home the next day for about a week, and then summer school starts the week after that. School starts for teachers less than a week after summer school ends. I'm actually looking forward to being busier!

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

Next summer I'm going to Europe in June so I'm afraid I'll hate it even more when I come back :lol:

I'm hoping to start grad school fall of 2015 so my summers will hopefully be taken up with class after next summer :) No summer school for me here. Our district doesn't have it unfortunately.

Even in college I never cared for summer. I always took a full load of classes and continued working at the library.

I do enjoy the extra sleep though my schedule has been wonky so I've had insomnia. I'd be okay if we started at 9 instead of 8. Or if it was this light all year round!

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 20, 2014

I love summer, and not just for the time off. :). I'm not a fan of sweltering heat, but I'll take it any day over cold weather. Winter is the season I can't stand. Heck, I don't like anything below 60 degrees so I definitely live in the wrong place.

Being able to walk around without any bulky layers, long sunny days, beach days, picnics, vacations, never feeling cold (which I do all winter long - indoors and outdoors), wearing flip flops...I'd be happy if it was always late spring/summer weather.

16. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

You should try a year-round school.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

ec, if I ever make a switch, I'd definitely consider it! Though I think I'll want summer if/when I have kids. I absolutely adore where I work (major reason I can't wait to get back), so I have no plans to move now :)

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

Summer weather is miserable here in my part of CA.

The thing I adore about summer is the fact that I can go to sleep and wake up whenever I want. During the school year, I am on a very regimented schedule.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2014

I am hating this summer--I had surgery on a bone spur on my heel and the Achilles tendon repaired on June 6th and have been in a non-walking cast since. I always said that I wanted a summer that I did nothing except lay on the sofa. I have learned quickly that is not what I want to do. I have put together 2 new courses (Chemistry Dual Enrollment and Forensic Science), mapped out my entire school year for 4 classes to the point that I can almost tell you what I will be teaching everyday in each class. I have pinned enough classroom organizing and management tips, recipes, and home maintenance tips to last for years. I am BORED!!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I hate the humidity. I do better on a schedule, but I don't stay on one in the summertime. A few nights last week I was going to bed at 6 in the morning. One day I slept until 3 in the afternoon.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

Just ended school today and I'm happy! I like the warmth...on really hot hot hot days I'm in water or ac...lots of beach, pool, garden days ahead...loving it!

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

I love summer! I love the heat, freedom & relaxation!

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I absolutely love it from a work perspective. I love having time to read professional texts, and brush up on my teaching. I love setting up my classroom, too. I love sleeping in, and having more time to work out.

However, I hate the weather. If it's above 75, I'm crabby. And don't get me started on the humidity.

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 20, 2014

Ditto on the weather. I cannot stand winter, and my first job was in a place that had about 9 months of it! If I never saw another snowflake, I'd be perfectly happy. Also, now that I live in Denver we don't have much humidity (compared to my home state), so the summer weather is perfect! I love being able to walk around even at night and not be cold.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

I hate the heat and humidity, and I have always functioned better with a schedule. This summer I am trying to map out my week ahead of time (lunch with friend, dr appt, work on ideas for switch to third grade, clean kitchen drawers, read, sew) so that I don't just wander around doing bits and pieces of things. It is helping some.

The best part of summer is that I am not tired all the time.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2014

I don't hate summer, but I seriously hate the weather in a July and August. I hate feeling like I'm breathing through a wrt blanket and moving underwater.

27. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

I also hate the summer heat and humidity. I do love that I get to spend more time with family and do things on my schedule. I usually try to make lists of what I would like to get done in an effort to keep myself on track. Summer is a time to tackle those bigger projects that I never seem to have time for during the school year.

28. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

Summer school does make it not seem so loooooong and the program has air conditioned classrooms at the school we have it in..like the other poster said you leave early, Fridays off...only 4 weeks!!!! It may make a difference for you. I enjoy it and I get FOUR extra paychecks which I need:D

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

SubCT, alas we don't have summer school so that's not an option for me.

As for weather, summer is by far my least fave. I love snow actually, so I'd rather have winter. I love having all four seasons here though.

30. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

I actually don't like summer weather either..humidity is not my friend!!!! Honestly, my favorite season is Autumn and I looooooove snow as well:) mostly cuz of the snowdays:D but I think snowfall is beautiful and I am like a little kid when it snows. I am also single.