Anyone else not a fan of this kind of stuff----pi day shenanigans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Mar 7, 2019.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 7, 2019

So next Thursday for Pi day, students are voting for their favorite teacher to get pied in the face. I would normally not participate in this kind of thing, but a student put me on the spot asking in front of the class if she could put me on the "ballot" and explaining that the money would go to kids with cancer. I would feel like a jerk saying no.

There are ten of us in the running, and whoever has the most money in their jar gets pied. It's being billed as "Pie your favorite teacher", but I don't get why you would want to do that to your favorite teacher. It's just not my cup of tea---I hate being the center of attention. I'm sure it's all in good fun, but I guess I just don't get it.

What are your thoughts on these types of events?

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 7, 2019

It’d be an honor, I would think, if you ended up with the most money donated. I was part of a dance contest where the top 4 teachers whose jars had the most money participated in a dance-off. My students kept monitoring my jar and made sure I would be part of the top 4. I think the 4 favorite teachers ended up dancing off. All 4 males!

4. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Mar 7, 2019

I think it's totally okay to not be a fan of this type of stuff. Some people like being the center of attention, others don't. We need a variety of educators to support our students effectively. I don't think popularity contests are generally good things for anyone but the ego of those who are popular.

readingrules12 and Pisces like this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2019

Just shift the money from one jar to another at some point. :)

6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Mar 7, 2019

I'm not a fan of this kind of stuff either. For Homecoming week one year, they did something similar (asked teachers to participate to be pied and the money went to a charity). I told them I would gladly donate some money to the cause but didn't want to be in the running for getting pied.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 7, 2019

I'm not a shy person but I hate being put into the spotlight. My school once had a dance off among teachers at an assembly and someone was pulling teachers randomly onto the stage, and I was so relieved when it wasn't me. Pie in the face wouldn't bother me specifically, but I totally relate.

8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 7, 2019

I mean personally I would be all over it. But I also understand its not for everybody.

The only thing I plan on doing this pi day is listening to our graduating seniors butcher our fight song and "My Way".

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 8, 2019

Not a fan. These activities can be well-meaning, but they can also turn very mean-spirited if students have it in for a particular faculty member.

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 9, 2019

If you do end up getting pied, you will definitely need time to get yourself back to classroom readiness. It is a messy business. :)

I don't like to be messy. At all. However, I did get pied repeatedly for a charity. It is what it is. On the bright side, your kids will always be able to see that you did something you didn't particularly enjoy doing, which is what we are always telling them adults do. :) I'm sorry you are not excited about it, but at least your kids love you.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2019

We had this for Thanksgiving but I didn't participate. I also didn't want to be the center of attention!

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 9, 2019

Fortunately it all occurs after school.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 9, 2019

I volunteer for crowd control or assisting with things, but I won’t be the one that’s the center of attention. I just won’t do it. I’m really good about doing other stuff, so nobody says anything about the things I won’t do.

otterpop likes this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2019

I once expressly refused to participate with a pie-in-the-face challenge at my last school. The idea of making teacher humiliation a goal didn't sit right with me.

That being said, I love Pi Day at my current because we always make sure to bring PIES to the school for our students. This reminded me to text with the school's newest math teacher and make sure he's into the idea (he is).

otterpop and vickilyn like this.
  15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 9, 2019

Much better way to celebrate Pi Day!

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 11, 2019

We are having the Geometry students prepare an activity for younger students. They want to serve pie to the younger kids as well as providing an activity and mini lesson about Pi. I'm super happy that we are able to provide a service opportunity for these students. I think life is richer when you serve others. I hope they find the joy of giving exceeds any piece of pie they might have received had we not done this project.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 12, 2019

Of course, today I get asked if I'll take a pie in the face as a PBIS incentive. My answer was, "I am not a dignified teacher in most respects, and I love being silly with my students, but I have my limits." That being said, I DID offer to let a student Manic Panic my ponytail...

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 12, 2019

I'm more of a fan of eating pie. It seems like a waste of good pie to throw it at people!

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 13, 2019

Fortunately I was not chosen. Some of my students asked me if I wanted them to vote for me, and I said "not particularly" so luckily someone else got more votes.The guy chosen seemed pretty happy about it, bragging that he got the most so he can enjoy it LOL. If they ask me again next year, I'll tell them I took my turn on the ballot this year so they can ask one of the many other teachers who haven't been on the ballot yet.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 13, 2019

I have been guaranteed actual PIES will be available to my students tomorrow... with the promise of pizza pies on Friday if they pass a few math challenges.

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 13, 2019

I think it is wrong to make it a contest. Simply let teachers volunteer who wish to participate and let students buy tickets to pie them in the face. Which teachers to be pied should be decided behind closed doors and before telling the students. That way, the spokesperson can tell the students that these ___ teachers have been chosen. Teachers won't have to worry about students talking them into it. Some teachers enjoy this and some hate this. Why can't administration understand that? I am fine with the overall idea if done with the respect of all of the teachers. Raising money for cancer can be a very good thing.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 14, 2019

This makes more sense. I wouldn't let anyone talk me into it but for some reason people feel an obligation to their students. Um, no, you don't have an obligation to do something you don't want to do. They will deal with it and someone else who wants to do it can do it.

23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2019

I can think of 22/7 reasons not to take part in this.:D

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2019

Oh: you have irreducible objections? :p

blazer likes this.
  25. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2019

Ugh, is the whining ever going to end? ;)

26. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Mar 22, 2019

I spend way too much time on my makeup to ruin it with pie!
    I'll donate anonymously.

27. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 23, 2019

My old (elementary) school did something similar where teachers were pied if their classes achieved goals (I forget what kind of goals.) The whole school assembled to watch it.

I thought this was so disrespectful to teachers. And when that reward gets old, what's next to bribe the students to do things they should already be doing?

otterpop likes this.