Anyone else lactose intolerant or allergic to milk?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

I just learned during a family vacation that I'm (probably) lactose intolerant.

Keep in mind I slowly started changing my diet to less junk and more veggiea, fruit and low calorie dishes as opposed to tons of junk. So i thought it was the change in diet finally catching up to me and/or PMS.

However the other day my brother was teasing my parents about how they were negligent because he didn't know he was lactose intolerant until he was well into adulthood. As he was describing his symptoms I was like "wait, i've been feeling those lately too!"

So i didn't drink any milk all week and I've been fine. I drank half a cup of milk last night and within 30 minutes, I was having stomach cramps and gas. I also saw a difference in my stool (for the worse :eek:) this morning

Oddly enough I don't seem to have this issue with cheese or when I put milk in my coffee. Same with ice cream. I guess the other ingredients kind of buffer the milk product.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

I found out I was too about mid way through my 40's. Considering cow's milk is not good for any humans, I wonder if most people are lactose intolerant and don't even recognize their symptoms being related to consumption of cow's milk?? I wonder...

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

I think that's exactly what happens. I remember telling my Mom about my stomach hurting more lately and how uncomfortable going to the bathroom had become. she chalked it up to hormonal changes and eating more vegetable.

Thank God for my brother's candid nature or else I'd still be feeling crummy and not understanding why.

I'm going to look into other options like almond and soy milk.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2014

I, too seemed to have become lactose intolerant within the last 1-2 yrs. I never just drink a glass of milk, but I eat frozen yogurt & I could tell right away that I was becoming lactose intolerant by the gas every time I ate frozen yogurt. I'm alright with cheese too. No other symptoms for me though, so glad no painful symptoms.

By the way, soy is NOT good for you, like some people tend to think. Stay away from it!

6. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2014

I do almond milk and occasionally WANT the milk taste so I buy Lactaid brand milk. I did soy for a while until I found out it's not good to eat soy. I'm not sure why?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2014

Regarding why soy is bad, my mom who has always done a lot of research about health & what foods & ingredients are good, bad, etc. may have told me once long ago, but I forgot the details, but of course I'll trust her. I'll have to ask her how she found out.

Also I was just talking to a female teacher/weightlifter friend of mine the other day, who lives a healthy lifestyle, who agrees that soy is bad.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Science teacher to the rescue! We are all born able to digest lactose - we produce an enzyme called lactase specifically for that job. However, over time, most adults, but not all, lose the ability to produce lactase and voila, you have become lactose intolerant! There is some research that indicates it is a "use it or lose it" kind of thing, so that people who continue to drink milk in large quantities retain the ability to produce the enzyme. As far as milk in your coffee, there's just not enough in there to create a problem. In some cheese, it is the same thing, especially if you are eating something like American cheese, which is actually labeled a cheese product (for the most part) and contains tons of things NOT milk. As for ice cream, similar to American cheese, less milk in it now that we can adulterate it, so probably that accounts for lack of stomach upset. If you LOVE dairy, there is a simple fix - you can replace the missing enzyme to using any of the "Lactaid" type of products when you eat/drink dairy. Like everything else, there are many generic products for it on the market, making it very cheap to do. Lactaid milk is simply milk with this enzyme already added.

About soy - I am not a fan, but there is enough controversy out there that you could spend a lifetime researching it. Soy, before it is processed, will make you very sick to your stomach, and it isn't a food source that our ancestors would have consumed. In dogs, it is linked to hypothyroidism in various breeds, and I refuse to feed it. It is high in protein, which is why it became so popular in the first place. Leave out the meat (expensive) and put in the soy (cheap) and keep the same protein levels in the nutrition panels!

There is nothing magic or wrong with the whole process of losing the ability to produce lactase. Most adults do, to at least some extent. It ranges from a mild annoyance to painful experience, but there are a lot of things you can take if you really want to eat/drink it. FYI, the lactose sugar in yogurt is transformed into something else by the bacteria cultures, so most people tolerate yogurt if they tolerate the taste. This is mostly a situation of inconvenience, not life threatening. My suggestion is to try some of the cheap Lactaid knock offs and continue to eat/drink dairy if you like it. Adding the enzyme back will be cheaper than many of the alternative, and allows you to get the good things that dairy does provide.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

Oh wow. I had no idea soy isn't good for us. I'll have to Google it and see what my nutritionist says. I tried to phase out milk back in high school for soy, but I didn't really like the flavor. It's kind of sweetish like how milk taste after cereal has been in it. I also remember it never getting the same icy coldness as milk. I figured I'd give it another shot and maybe it's better than I remembered. I like almond milk but it's not as commonly used as a milk substitute around here when you eat out. Soy is king.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

LOL Lynette. Hilarious yet insightful. I actually learned a lot but was entertained.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Soy is not "not good" for you. In limited quantities, it can be very good for you, especially compared to some alternatives.

The problem is that soy has estrogen-like qualities. It can mess up the balance of hormones in your body if you consume a lot of it, particularly in supplement form. It can even increase the risk of certain cancers.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

This is what I've read as well. Asian countries have used soy products for centuries....all things in moderation!

13. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2014

Do you know what it is about soy that it can be good for you in limited quantities?

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Protein, reducing cholesterol, reducing the risk of osteoporosis, and treating some GI issues.

15. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2014

I suppose if you don't eat meat it would work as a protein replacement in small quantities. A friend at work eats tofu by the bucketful and is always feeling sick. In her culture, they eat it in large quantities regularly.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2014

I used rice milk for a while on cereal....

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2014

I was randomly lactose intolerant for a few years as a child, and then it went away.

Lynette - great info!

I am a dairy addict (yeah I know, cow's milk, terrible, blah blah blah), and as a child I just couldn't STAND the dairy substitutes I tried. I just took the over the counter pills whenever I ate dairy and was totally fine. Didn't have to change a thing. That's actually how I learned to swallow pills back when I was 8 or so. I wouldn't swallow them before that, but I was desperate for milk! LOL. Anyway, I am just not someone who is going to go drink almond milk as a substitute for milk. They are NOT the same. Same with dairy free cheese. Can't do it. But that's just me.

They still make those pills, right? They're just over the counter lactaid pills or whatever.

18. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

I found out last December that I'm allergic to dairy and that I was constantly suffering from allergic reactions (digestive problems, high blood pressure, difficulty controlling my weight, puffy face,"raccoon eyes", etc). None of my docters bothered to test me before since I wasn't showing any of the extreme symptoms of an allergy but my new doctor realized there had to be some underlying cause to all my issues. One little allergy test and I finally had an answer. Since I switched I've lost around 30lbs and feel 1000 times better.

It's been hard but I've managed to find dairy-free things for almost everything I like to eat (I haven't found a good cheese substitute yet so I make my own cheese-less pizza). I like have an occasional glass of almond milk with dinner and use rice milk for cereal and cooking because it isn't overly sweet like almond.

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

I don't like rice milk by itself, but when I put it in cereal I can't tell the difference between it and regular old skim milk.

I'm so glad the doctor figured out your allergy and you've feeling better! Unexplained weight loss is the worse.

I wonder how many others out there are going through what you went through. I had a colon cleanse from a holistic doctor and I remember her telling me that cow's milk is not good for people and that it makes excess mucus in our systems.

My friend's mom was in Toastmasters many years ago and I remember her saying that her group advised against drinking milk before doing a speech. It had something to do with excess mucus.

20. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2014

My best friend just found out she was lactose intolerant about year ago. As soon as she cut dairy out, she lost about 40 pounds and her skin really cleared up also.

I can't stand the taste of milk- I think the last time I had a glass was probably 15 years ago when my mother was still making me drink it, lol. Giving up ice cream wouldn't bother me too much- I have it only a couple times a year and I think there are many other desserts that are better. I would have an extremely hard time giving up cheese though- I don't even want to think about that!

21. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 26, 2014

My pull monologist said that the idea that milk makes more mucus is a myth. I'm sure there are other allergy symptoms but I think that one has been disproven. Milk is one of the few things I will drink so I would hate to give it up, but that's interesting that rice milk takes similar in cereal. Maybe I will try it

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2014

I believe you can become lactose intolerant later in life (so, you might not have been intolerant before but later developed it). I actually think this is happening to me. Milk and some milk products affect me in a very negative way. I´m actually notcing a negative affect to pasta, which is weird and sad because I love pasta. My body is definitely starting to react to foods differently these days.

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 26, 2014

Edited to say pulmonologist, not autocorrected:)

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2014

Em Catz.... Same here....can't stand rice milk by itself...but on cereal can't really tell....
    I told hubby...he is just a milk person, so he does almond milk (used to do soy) or rice milk...there are times when you just have to have a glass of milk. LOL...

When I was little we had goats...and drank their milk....

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 27, 2014

Oh no! Reacting to pasta stinks. I know eating it in excess isn't good for us, but it's still yummy. If it's making you feel ill though I would look into pasta/rice substitutes.

I love quinoa in place of rice and instead of noodles I use squash/zucchini and you can't tell the difference once you get all the tomato sauce, meat and cheese. I also saute zucchini noodles (i have a machine that processes veggies to make them in the same shape as noodles and spirals) and put different sauces with it. It gives me the same satisfaction of pasta, but without the bloated feeling

I've never drunk goat milk, but I will chow down on goat cheese when it's in a salad or crumbled on a burger. I like salty things, so it's really good. Does goat milk taste a lot different from cow?

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

I laughed out loud! I used to feed goats milk to orphaned or nonthriving puppies. They got good and plump on it. Turns out that it has a fair amount of fat in it, and it was more like a dog's milk in the proportion of calcium/phosphorous. Puppies loved it! Oh, and no, I don't do goats cheese. I'm kind of particular about the "smell" of what I eat, and so I stay away from highly odoriferous cheeses.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

And before someone comes down hard on me for the stinky cheese comment, there are a ton of bovine cheeses I don't eat either, which means that when I go out to eat, I always, ALWAYS ask for any cheese in salads to be on the side. I know - peculiar, but keeps me from throwing away an otherwise nice salad.

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 27, 2014

I've never been a milk fan and couldn't stand the taste of soy but I really like Almond Milk.

29. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Jul 29, 2014

Yes. I only can drink like 2% milk.

30. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 1, 2014

Yes. I am lactose intolerant. I have just learned to adapt. I can have dairy in small portions. I use lactaid pills (OTC) which help if I am not going to have too much of something. I have always had a very upset stomach when eating anything with dairy....I found out 1005 when I was 21yrs old. Apparently I was allergic to milk as a baby too so needed some special formula. Who knew. (Oh ya... my parents who failed to tell me! HA!)

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 2, 2014

I have become more intolerant as I age. The funny part with me is, I can still drink milk (1% or skim only), but any dairy product just tears me up. Ice cream is a definite no no, yogurt is terrible (I had to eat some whole taking an antibiotic a while back, and I thought I might die), and most cheese is off limits. My eldest offspring is 13, and can't do dairy of any kind. When she is tempted, and consumes some, she gets very sick and her face immediately explodes in pimples.

32. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2014

Yes, this is why I make sure I always get a daily dose of ice cream... :)

33. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

Good info!

I have one daughter allergic to milk (diagnosed at age six), and another who has become lactose intolerant at age 23.

My husband and I can eat all the dairy we want with no issues.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2014

Em Catz....we drank it when I was young so I don't remember..

We drink 1/2 % milk. fam from south what is 1/2% we don't have that...LOL

35. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

:lol:
    :lol: I will say, now I'm kind of curious about goat's milk but have no idea where i might find it. maybe whole foods.

I've really enjoyed this thread! you all are so funny but also give great info.