Anyone else keeping an eye on Hurricane Earl???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

WAAYY too early to tell, but things could get interesting along the Eastern Seaboard in a week or so.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

You know...it feels really weird not to be following every tropical system that even pretends it might grow up to be a hurricane. I haven't been watching it, but now I'm really far away and feel somewhat disconnected.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

Being way up in TX, I normally don't follow hurricanes or tropical storms. But I've noticed there haven't been too many mentioned on the news yet.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

Not yet-- the season is really just getting started.

Danielle is heading east into the Atlantic, Earl is hitting the Northern Leeward Islands tonight, and Fiona is getting ready to form.

My name is Alice and I'm a storm junkie.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

My name is Mary, and I've been in recovery for one season. I was right there with you until this year :)

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I've been watching it......... I have six family members..... plus several very close friends on a cruise out of the Miami area.......

We were scheduled to go....... but my wife was asked to speak at a women's conference.....

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I spent the first 20 years of my life in Florida...I am pretty far removed now (montana), but I still follow the storm season bc all of my family still lives in FL.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

I didn't even know it existed...I've been more in my own little bubble more than usual since school started. :(

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

I don't usually pay much attention until the storms are really big and in the news (we aren't impacted much here at all). I did, however, just need to go and check the Weather Network--Lauren is on vacation right now.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

It doesn't look to go anywhere near Costa Rica.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

It should be hitting the Jersey shore just as we arrive in Philly, if the current track of the storm maintains. Lovely.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I'll be keeping my eye on Earl. Hopefully we don't get anything from it. I think my plans to go to the beach next weekend are probably shot because of the rip tides. The red flags were out this weekend, too, because of Danielle. Stupid storms ruining my beach plans!!

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

We are forced to keep an eye on every hurricane as we live in South Florida, home of the weather forecasters who perpetually say, "Will your home be obliterated by a terrible storm? Stay tuned until the end of the newscast when I reveal how much time you have to live." Then they proceed to tell us the storm has gone elsewhere, but stay prepared to "Hunker Down", a phrase that will be repeated about 78 times per hour should a real storm occur. So, yes, I am watching Earl and all his siblings and praying that no one is harmed. I am especially hopeful that I will not have too many weather forecasts inflicted on me or I may go find the cone of error and sit there waiting to obliterate the need to hear another one of their insipid teasers.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

ah, yes, one thing I do NOT miss about living in Miami. A friend of mine is a scientist with the National Hurricane Center. We would tease her horribly during hurricane season...well, when we saw her anyway. Lots of overtime for a few months out of the year......

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

I was at the beach this weekend enjoying my last summer days. Hurricane Danielle really stirred up the ocean and the Jersey shore had some awesome big waves. We were able to swim in Spring Lake where we were but just a few miles down the road in Seaside, they did not allow anyone in the water (it just would be tragic if Snooki or The Situation drifted out to sea...:whistle:). They did pull about 6 people at one point out of the rip currents on our beach- lots of people riding the waves on boogie boards and they just got caught out too far and couldn't get in. All in all, great days at the beach but people need to use caution.

I lived in Charleson SC 20 years ago when Hurrican Hugo arrived and devastated the city...if anyone lives in an area that is forecast to be hit by a hurricane, please consider evacuating.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

From http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/...ival-royal-caribbean-norwegian-line/110512/1: (the bold is mine)
    "Hurricane Earl scatters cruise ships in Eastern Carribean
    By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

The National Hurricane Center forecast for Hurricane Earl as of 8 am ET on Monday, Aug. 30, 2010. CAPTIONNational Hurricane CenterA growing Hurricane Earl already has forced a dozen cruise ships carrying more than 20,000 vacationers to switch course as it barrels toward some of the Caribbean's most popular islands -- and more itinerary changes could be coming.

The 2,758-passenger Carnival Victory, which departing San Juan on Sunday, will remain at sea today to avoid the storm instead of visiting St. Thomas. It'll stop in St. Thomas later in the week. In addition, a port call in St. Maarten has been canceled.

The 2,124-passenger Carnival Pride, which set sail from Baltimore on Sunday, will skip a port call scheduled for Wednesday in Grand Turk and instead visit Port Canaveral, Fla. A port call at Half Moon Cay has been replaced with a visit to Nassau, Bahamas.

A third Carnival ship, the, 3,646-passenger Carnival Dream, is reversing the order of two ports in Roatan, Honduras and Belize scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Norwegian Cruise Line's 4,100-passenger Norwegian Epic, which set sail from Miami on Saturday, is heading to the Western Caribbean this week instead of the Eastern Caribbean. Port calls in St. Martin and St. Thomas have been replaced with calls in Cozumel, Mexico and Roatan, Honduras.

Royal Caribbean's 2,446-passenger Enchantment of the Seas, which set sail from Baltimore on Thursday, is skipping a call today in St. Thomas. The ship instead will stop at Samana, Dominican Republic and, on Tuesday, Labadee, Haiti. The vessel will spend Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at sea as it returns to Baltimore on Saturday as scheduled.

Royal Caribbean's 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas, which departed Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, is skipping its scheduled port calls in St. Thomas on Tuesday and St. Maarten on Wednesday. The ship instead is heading to the Western Caribbean where it will stop at Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday.

The Category 2 storm also could affect the itinerary of the 2,224-passenger Norwegian Dawn, which set sail Sunday from New York. The line says in a statement on its website that there is a possibility of an itinerary change for the ship depending on the storm's path.

As of 8 am ET, Earl was 25 miles north-northeast of the island of St. Martin and moving to the west-northwest at about 14 miles per hour. The storm has maximum sustained winds of 110 miles per hour.

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Anguilla, St. Martin/St. Maarten, St. Barthelemy, Saba, St. Eustatius, the British Virgin Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands (click HERE for the USA TODAY Weather Page's detailed interactive map of the storm, showing its distance from each island and projected path).

The National Hurricane Center says the storm is likely to strengthen over the next 36 to 48 hours."

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

Thanks Alice...... They will be disappointed not going to St. Martin and St. Thomas.......:(

..... but they should be OK with port calls in Cozumel and Roatan. I personally love Cozumel......:)

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2010

I usually watch them...isn't there another depression or something behind that one... if you look on NOAA's site.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2010

Yup. It's soon to be Fiona.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2010

That's what I thought... I see the little red circle out there.

My SIL said of course we go back to school & the hurricanes start up!! LOL!!!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

Mommaruthie used to post about hurricane tracking grocery bags available in Florida that she used with her classes. Could be a cool geography/math plotting activity...noaa has a downloadable chart:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/AT_Track_chart.pdf

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2010

It doesn't look good for a couple of places up north along the shore. Mom went through Hurricane Bob (I think) about 20 years ago when it hit the shore up north. I've got a lot of family in Maine and Boston. They've been keeping an eye on the path. My sister in Maine is getting a load of wood in and a few supplies since she lives a wooded area and the power goes out frequently during storms. She says even if it doesn't hit, she'll can keep everything for when it does go out later in the year.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2010

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2010

Thanks for sharing Alice... amazing!!!

26. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

I think Earl will probably miss us, but they're still telling us to expect hurricane-force winds Thursday.

My local radio station played this silly commercial this morning for a show called "My Hurricane's Name Is Earl." :p It made me giggle.

27. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Our school and surrounding towns are dismissing early in anticipation of the heavy rain/winds in SE CT. They are still rebuilding bridges and things that got damaged from the floods in the Mystic area last spring so I hope this doesn't cause any more issues.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2010

I watch all the storms regardless of where they go because we have seen them head up the east coast and turn back around and smack us in the Florida panhandle. Don't worry much about losing stuff, but I want to make sure my family and pets get out of harms way if need be.

29. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 2, 2010

My school is closed tomorrow in anticipation of it, but will be open to teachers over the weekend. Bob got our area pretty good in 1991, I think it was. That was the last major one to hit us.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

It looks to be a non-event for the most part around here, though things could get more interesting out east.

My brother is probabaly on call all weekend-- he works for the phone company on Fire Island. Fortunately for him, most of the summer residents will be gone after this weekend anyway, so there probably isn't the urgency there would be had the storm hit a week or two ago.

31. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

It's getting windier and windier here.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

Nothing in N NJ...Just a bit overcast...Would love some rain...lawn needs it and my car has bird poo on it and I decided not to wash the car today because the storm is coming (I believe that if you wash your car, it WILL rain) :lol:

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

Not so much as a drop of rain or gust of wind.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

Me neither- guess I'll wash the car today. :blush:

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I had hoped to bring the kids to Jones Beach this morning to see the surf, but the news says that fields 1-6 (pretty much "the ocean") is closed due to flooding.

Now I have to put my yard back together for the barbecue we're having today-- and the neighbor's too. They return from a week in CA tonight.

And my friend, who had hoped to come to NY to look at wedding dresses (until I talked her out of flying in during a hurricane) is going to kill me :)

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

Alice, you know hurricanes are unpredictable. Advising against travel wasn't over the top, all considered.

Remember the lessons of Andrew. That one was supposed to hit North Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It jogged south at the last minute and wiped Homestead off the map....50 miles or so SOUTH of where it was supposed to be. Hurricane Charley was the same way, several years later. It made landfall a fair distance from where it was "supposed" to land, catching many people off guard.

Yes, I think the media hypes things up way too much, but I can't disagree with you about your friend's wedding dress shopping trip. Better to have stayed home than caught in NYC in a hurricane.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

Oh, it was absolutely the right advice.

I meant it lightly; even though the hurricane tracked east, I imagine that air travel is still a mess.

38. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

Looks like it's hitting the Canadian Atlantic provinces (where my family is) now. It's been downgraded to a Category One hurricane, but thousands of people are without electricity in Nova Scotia already.

My mom is supposed to be flying out of central New Brunswick to come and visit me today. Hopefully she can still get out!!!

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 4, 2010

We got a sprinkling of rain around 5pm. I was hoping for at least a good shower to water my plants!