Anyone else into Mod or indie fashion/style?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 28, 2009

I've been shopping for the new house, and finally got a chance to pull out my book of artist business cards. I collect them at local craft shows that I help my friend out at-most of them are on Etsy as well.

They have sort of a vintage feel, but with a modern a twist, hence the name Mod. Do any of you guys go for that style? Any artists that you love and want to share?

I'm having my co-worker, who speaks French, e-mail a French artist we saw in Montreal about his fantastic art-think Tim Burton sketched in black and white with lace involved in the matting... I'll be using those pieces in our guest room if we can arrange it. I can't find a website for him, but I'll post if he writes back with one. I'm also thinking about trying to incorporate some of the art from the sites below.

Also, for clothes, I LOVE ModClothes. I follow them on Facebook and drool over their outfits. It's like Anthropologie, but much less expensive.

Cool screenprints-I have a t-shirt with her Mermaid design on it.

Still looking for others!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2009

The clothing link didn't work, but I googled and found it.

They have some cute stuff . . . but it's nothing says "me". I've had a thing for vintage jackets recently. Found a new store in a nearby big city that has some really cute stuff. My recent find was a brown & orange tweed swing jacket.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

Do you mean this site:

http://www.modcloth.com/

? Jem, your link didn't really lead anywhere but the above one does.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2009

Thanks czacza for posting the other link. Yes, I like a couple of things they have!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2009

I must be getting old....there were a few cute things but imo there were some really homely things, too. I guess I need to update my style sense. I think it is bad when the model they have in the sweater dress on the home page looks like she has a tummy bulge - it she can't wear it the rest of the human race won't be able too! Have fun shopping. Hope you are feeling better.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 28, 2009

I guess I just learned the name of my taste in clothes. I usually say my style is very Carol Brady, with a few swing skirts thrown in for good measure.

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 28, 2009

I am totally into the mod/vintage swing style, in clothing and home style. Some of my best stuff comes from consignment shops. I love modcloth.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 29, 2009

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 29, 2009

Thanks for the new link. Like any other store, some of their stuff is totally cute, while others have me scratching my head.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 30, 2009

So I finally got ahold of the artist from Canada that I found on our honeymoon three years ago. His art is just as beautiful as I remember it being. He doesn't have a website, so I had to friend him on Facebook to see the art. I made an album to show dh so we could pick some out-here they are. If anyone else is interested in contacting him, let me know. I'm not much into the 'dirty french wh--' look, but the first two really strike me. We're going to get them for the guest room... hee hee. I can't wait to hear what my in-laws think.... and the lace/feathers are actually real-he tucks them into the matting and frame, which is so beautiful in reality. These are scanned, I'm thinking.

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/Jem_016/french art/

13. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Oct 30, 2009

Too cool Jem! Those pictures are great. I paint and most of the art on my walls I created myself, so it's not often that I see things I like that I don't think to myself, 'Oh, I could do that, but more the way I want.'
    And I love the ModCloth link!

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2009

What did your husband say?

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2009

How big are the pictures?