anyone else in CA freaking out?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacheroo, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Feb 29, 2008

I'm in my second year of teaching, about to receive tenure, when all of a sudden, our lovely gover-nator proposes his budget, with a 10% cut in education. Now I've been told that they are cutting 25 million dollars from our district and will have to lay off at least 130 teachers. They will be eliminating class-size reduction in kindergarten, which means displacing many teachers, which means even if I do have a job, it will probably be at a different school/grade level. And, since they don't have to sign the budget until July, and our school district largely starts the year in July, I probably won't know anything until right before. ugh.

:down:Anyone else in this situation??

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Feb 29, 2008

I got my letter recently. The middle school section of my school only has 10 teachers and we are all considered temporary (tenure is on the 4th year). We won't know anytime soon either.

4. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Mar 1, 2008

Arnold :down:

I guess I should be happy that I won't be fully credentialed until the 2009-2010 school year...:unsure:

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I have only been working as aide in LAUSD for ayear. I am going to Sacramento to join our union in lobbying the legislators. I am also looking for a job in private and charter schools too.