Anyone else having a rough week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

I need to vent because we, me and my 5th graders, are having a really really rough week.
    The boys have so much drama they are often joked about as being Jr. High girls. This week one of them has been freaking out every time another boy LOOKS at him. He's been sent to the office twice about it and has gotten two detentions over it. But he's not the only one. All of the boys have fought every recess this week about something that happened in football. The admin, tired of seeing the boys come in the office for fights at recess, finally came in today and took recess away for the rest of the week and football away for two weeks.
    All of my students have been SUPER hyper this week and extremely excited over something, though I have yet to figure out what it is. They are constantly talking over me, I've taken minutes away from their recesses, given out countless detentions, and we have had discussion over discussion over discussion about how we treat each other and the teacher.
    I finally thought a lesson went well this week. The kids were all engaged, we were listening, enthusiastically doing a smartboard activity, watched a fun video about the 13 colonies... go to correct their worksheets over the topic tonight and BAM! They understood NOTHING!!!!!

If tomorrow goes the way the rest of this week has been going, Friday may be a "personal" day.

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

My 8th graders have been crazy all week also. I was talking to another teacher who teaches 5th at my school her students are crazy also. Then we realized that the last time they were like thi it was close to a full moon. So we looked it up, Sat. is a full moon.

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

I'd be concerned about the boy that is freaking out every time the other boy looks at him - maybe something happened in the bathroom or at home that is scaring him.
    As for why they are hyper, I've no clue. Are the other children in the school also more hyper than usual or is it just with your class?

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

All three of our 4th grade classes have been having pretty rough weeks. Although I'm having the least bad time (but then, I do set pretty high expectations for behavior and don't give them much wiggle room in the hall, cafeteria, etc). One of our 1st grade teachers told me that it was the worst her kids had ever been. I don't know if it's the long stretch without a break or the weather, but they are antsy. We have had several beautiful days with some extended recess time, then it's going to be back down to freezing this weekend.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 27, 2010

I had a crazy Tuesday. So crazy that a student's birthday wasn't celebrated. He turned 10 and decided that b/c he was 10 now, that he could do whatever he wanted and he screamed it at the top of his lungs all day long. Oh and according to him, I was the reason for his behavior and I was also the Grinch who stole his birthday :lol:. His behavior continued on the bus and was so out of control at home that he needed to be restrained a couple of times (he is diagnosed with severe behaviors -- I have a calming room in my classroom where he was placed in during his screaming fits) and didn't get to celebrate his b-day at home either. He pulled it together to have his b-day cake at school today.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2010

I know the kids I've been working w/ 2x/wk since returning from Thanksgiving break have gotten more laxed around me. They're misbehaving a little more.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

I think, based on the number of "crazy kids" threads that are active right now, that we have a full blown pandemic on our hands :lol:

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2010

Tuesday marked the first day of my seniors' last semester of high school. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

OMG! There was something in the water on Monday! I felt so terrible! My kids were atrocious! After speaking to some other teachers at my school we noticed that we all were having a rough day! It is slowly getting better, but I really had to make some changes this week. It kills me because coming back from break my kids were so good and classroom community was really high! Then on Tuesday I made some bad choices and really tore some kids down (they were misbehaving, but I handled it badly). I am ready for the weekend and a fresh slate on Monday!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

My guess is that the freak out boy has something else going on, either at home or behind the scenes at school. I think I would probably either pull him in for a chat or call home, just to keep the lines of communication open.

And I wouldn't take a day off tomorrow. Things will only get worse if you get a bad report (as you surely will) from the sub.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 28, 2010

Funny, my kids were angels yesterday but since Christmas they have been less so...we'll see what today holds!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

Yesterday I had an interesting day.

One of the more "active" kids in both my homeroom and my slowest class moved to Ottawa!! His dad got transferred and he was gone!

His best friend is in both of the same classes, and coincidentally won a medal at Saturday's track meet. So I pulled Eddie aside and told him he was at a crossroads. As much as I loved teaching Mike (he wasn't a BAD kid, and besides, I would say that about any kid to another kid), he tended to distract Eddie. Eddie could take this moment to decide: class clown or student-athlete.

Aside from that, I'm teaching interesting material (to me, anyway). So I enjoyed yesterday.

Today it's regular school, followed by a dash out of the building to the plastic surgeon for a 4 pm appointment, home for a quick bite to eat, then to Julia's Winter concert at 7.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

We've had quite a few kids out with either bad colds or stomach flu. In many ways, it has been quieter than usual (except for the students whose lockers are outside of my office door--their voices have been on full-volume all week).

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 28, 2010

My morning was almost a nightmare. I record my live lectures for students who cannot attend them (they have jobs, children, nocturnal habits). It took over an hour for the recording to post so I could grab the link, so I had a fit trying to figure out how to have an alternate way for the students to get credit for watching the session. To explain, it's like trying to teach a lesson in person and then suddenly finding out the majority of the class was yanked out for an assembly when you had your head down.

In the meantime, due to a technical glitch in grading, I had four students from my last semester dropped back in my class without warning. Two of them had passed and the other two were supposed to be moved to a "credit recovery" class. By the end of my frenzied phone call with the guidance counselor, we both wanted to bring flasks to our next Professional Development meeting.

This doesn't even bring into account the students with disconnected phones, unreachable addresses, and personal issues that make me put my head in my hands at times.

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 28, 2010

It has been an insane week. Wednesday morning was fabulous, but man did it deteriorate after lunch. The week could not end soon enough. The whole building is jumping.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2010

Yes, I have had a rough week excepting for today, thank goodness. I could not take anymore...

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 28, 2010

I had a great day today especially compared to yesterday's nightmare. Yesterday, I was trying to hook up all my new technology in my room and the kids were just crazy, busy but crazy. Today, they worked their little fingers to the bones!

19. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 28, 2010

This week was crazy even with one of the ringleaders out. I glad tomorrow is Friday!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

This whole week has been horrible! I'm looking forward to tomorrow being Friday to get this week over with! The students have been down right horrible. It didn't help that I've been running late 3 out of the 4 days this week, and my frustration level has risen.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 28, 2010

I'm going to kiss the floor I just walked on! Wow! I'm glad my students did the opposite today. Half of them were sick this week and then I missed a few days too (son sick) and it was assessments week. I had to cram EVERYTHING into today. Those poor Kinder kids were worked to death today in SILENCE and you know what, they DID IT. I couldn't believe it. Hey, maybe the full moon was in effect after all because that was just unbelievable. (Sorry, I'm too tired to open my own thread and this was a good place as any to toot). Back to your story now. :whistle:

But I am having a rough week. Just not with the students (thankfully). I haven't been able to sleep properly in 3 weeks so it becomes harder to care yet too many this are DUE. :help: Oh well, I'll get through it.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 28, 2010

Horrible. All around. Except for today, but I took today off. 'Nuff said.

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2010

That describes my week exactly...

Today was hard because it was sunny and looked beautiful, but the wind chill was too cold to go out for recess.

24. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

Most of my weeks since winter break have been rough. I just don't know what happened to my good bunch of kids over the holidays. I also had a less than stellar discussion with my principal about the behavior of my students...apparently people are pointing the finger at me...yet when I try to be tough of them, I get no support (for example, I write up a student for detention, and the special ed. teacher decides the infraction should be "let go"...so no points are given GRR). And there is a good chance that my school will close next year. Oh, and a family member had surgery this week...we're waiting to hear if it's cancer. So yes, it's been a rough week!

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2010

I REALLY missed my TA today... she's out sick, and will be out tomorrow too... She is so wonderful, and while the supply that was in for her was ok, it just wasn't the same. She didn't know the kids, so when one of my little guys with autism would have a freakout, I had to deal with it in the class, rather than have a TA there to be able to calm him down while I continue teaching.

I feel like we got NOTHING done today cause I was busy putting out fires most of the day.

26. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 28, 2010

Today I had two kids crawling on the floor, one standing on his desk, another standing on her chair, and a boy who threw 2 books in my direction.

Swwwwwwwwwwwshhhhhhhhhhhhh! Glad today is over!

27. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

Students have been having more issues this week. However, it is a full moon week, and our students always seem to be more dramatic about everything when there is a full moon. I know there isn't a lot of evidence about this, but it does consistently happen this way for us. On top of that it was a Thursday, and Thursdays are always the toughest day of the week. Students are tired, teachers are tired, for some the weekend is too far away and for others the weekend is to close.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2010

Well, I spoke too soon when I said that things have been calm. Yesterday was crazy! Everything just seemed much, much louder and busier than usual. Of course, indoor recess becaus of the high winds and frigid temps didn't help matters.

One more day, one more day...

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 29, 2010

I'm celebrating a snow day today!

30. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

Me too!

31. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 29, 2010

oh shud up you two.

32. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2010

It's finally over!!! Just a few more things to do to tidy up here, then home to crash for the night! Today wasn't too bad, but we had a lot of loose ends to tie up, so it wasn't the most exciting day.

33. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 29, 2010

Oh my, sorry to hear of all the rough weeks! Shout out a great big TGIF!!

My new term started this week with all new students and I am pleased to say it was a very calm and pleasant week.

34. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

That is so sadly true for a lot of our kids.

Overall, today was an alright day. It was rather quiet, like the rest of the week tired them out! They were a bit sleepy this morning. It was nice.

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2010

I'm up to 170 students as of the end of the day. NAPTIME?

36. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 29, 2010

One of my students had a tantrum that last over an hour today! I could not teach long division! :( Oh, and the drama was nonstop!

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 29, 2010

Can I just tell you what a relief it is to read about everyone else's awful weeks?? My week was absolutely insane! I had 4 IEP meetings, meetings with 8 other parents of students who are failing, one angry father yelling at me in my classroom, and then a follow up meeting about said incident. On top of that, the boyfriend/girlfriend drama in my homeroom has really been kicked up a notch. Everyone has gone insane. TGIF!!

38. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

girlfriend/boyfriend drama in 5th grade? What a shame..(@ the kids/parents)

39. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 29, 2010

Oooh yeah. It's ridiculous. I've got 3 girls in my homeroom who used to be friends not speaking to each other because they all "dated" the same boy. Apparently one of them "went out with" him for the weekend and they all came in upset with each other on Monday. They're IMing and texting mean things to each other at home and then bringing the drama to school. It's out of control.

40. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

So glad this week's over. It wasn't necessarily the students, just a very stressful week with no down time for me. Sleeping in tomorrow!