anyone else have a relative in their 90s or older?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 12, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 12, 2012

I just got home from spending a week with my grandma who now lives at my parents house because she is unable to do much independently anymore. ...she is 95! Anyways I am used to seeing my grandma more up and about but she has rrally changed this year and pretty much sits in her chair all day but doesnt watch much tv or even read she pretty much sits and stares or thinks or restd etc....I would come over with a bowl of cookie dough so she could watch me stir or think of thigs to do next to her but Im wondrring is this how all really old people are? Im concerned she just sits all day and doesnt do much at all to use her brain she is a smart lady and Im just used to seeing her engaged more....she cant see really well and her hearing isnt the greatest but what else can i rec to my parents they didnt ask i just observed. ...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

My grandmother is 97. She lives with my aunt. She is still fiesty!

4. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

My mother will be 91 in a couple of weeks: lives alone, drives, crosswords, still one of the smartest people I know, walks REAL slow (so it goes).

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2012

I go to church with some people in their late 80's to late 90's. Most of them don't do much other than sit around reading, watching television, or working puzzles. A couple of the women knit or crochet or quilt. Some of them still drive, but no further than to get their hair done every week or go to the grocery.

DH's aunt is 89. She doesn't take any medications, and she still drives and lives alone. She gets around better than I do. My BFF's grandpa was still farming, active in community activities, and doing whatever he wanted until just a couple of weeks before he died. He was 94.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

How timely..I'm going to my Auntie's 90th birthday party today!

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 12, 2012

I did hear some stories such as she slept in the barn up in the loft when a sibling had whooping cough so it wouldnt come in the house where a new baby was!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

Tennis~I love listening to my granny tell stories of when she was a child. So interesting! Before my great-aunt died, she would tell great stories and even took us out to the old family homestead that is still standing in the middle of a pasture. She would walk us from room to room and tell us where furniture was located and interesting things that happened. I wish I would have recorded that!

9. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

May 12, 2012

My great grandpa will be 93 this summer. I'm 31, and I consider myself super blessed to still know my great grandpa, as I know many people my age including my husband, who don't even have any grandparents left. My whole family through him a surprise 90th birthday party, including my mom and I flying out to him. He actually found out about the party in advance, but he had no idea my mom and I would be there. The look on his face as we knocked on his front door was priceless!

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Both of my grandmothers lived until their mid-late 90's. The last couple of years before they died they were both in a nursing home. Both hard of hearing. One almost blind. Both stubborn.

Both lived at home, alone until their early-mid 90's. At that age, neither was driving. Someone, usually my Mom would take them grocery shopping, clothes shopping, getting their hair done etc. Both cooked until they moved. My older grandmother went into an assisted living center where she didn't have to cook until she was finally in a nursing home full time.

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 12, 2012

My dad is 91, but he looks much younger. He's pretty healthy for 91, still looks as strong as an ox, and has aged really well. Unfortunately, he has Alzheimer's. But, fortunately, he can still take care of his basic needs. He still tries to putter around the house, drives my mom nutty, and plays solitaire on the computer. :)

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2012

My Grandpa is 90 and he's doing ok except for walking. He has to use a walker and it just takes him a really long time to get anywhere. He is still pretty sharp though and loves to read John Grisham and James Patterson novels. I think I inherited my reading obsession from him!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

My mother is 93 and recently had to move to a nursing home (from assisted living.) It's been a long haul and lots of things have happened in a few months time, from her home, to the hospital, assisted living and now in the nursing home. She sleeps most of the time and really seems angry. I'm not sure if she knows me anymore. I miss her laughing with me. I left some chocolates and flowers for her today. She didn't wake up while I was there.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 13, 2012

:hugs:

Beth

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

Hugs, Grammy.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 13, 2012

Thank you , Bella and MrsC.

17. bros

bros Phenom

May 14, 2012

Nope. Closest a relative got was 88 (My great-grandfather who was born in 1912 died in 1999)

My mom has a co-worker who celebrated his 93rd birthday last month.

He's a spry old man. Only issue is that he has super-high potassium levels.

He works as the Court Bailiff and comes in once a week to shred papers. The rest of the week he participates in activities with senior groups (and he is usually the only one allowed to drink, so he usually drinks in excess). He also collects like three pension in addition to his court paycheck :p

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 14, 2012

My grandmother just celebrated her 90th birthday last Sunday. She still lives alone and is quite independent. She cooks, bakes, knits, reads, watches tv, and cares for her dog. She doesn't drive, but only because she took her own license away about a year ago. She has many children and grandchildren, so somebody is over or on the phone on a daily basis for her to talk to and check in with. I think what helps her mind stay active is being around other people and keeping up with her hobbies. I would see if you can talk to your grandmother about some things that she likes to do or would like to try, and see if you can engage in one of them with her or have your parents. Maybe learning a new skill like crocheting will give her a little spark.

My grandfather passed last summer, but he was only a week away from his 105th birthday. He also lived independently (and DROVE!!!) right on up until a few weeks before his death. He lived in Florida far from family, much as we wanted to find a way to convince him to move back to New York, but he had fantastic neighbors that checked in on him and came to visit. He tended to his little garden and took lots of walks. The last few years without my grandmother he was completely miserable and depressed, but he kept busy.

I strongly suggest trying to spark her interest in something that will keep her brain and, if she can, her hands active.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2012

During high school I volunteered on a weekly basis at our nursing home (and was employed there for a short period of time). Many, many residents did nothing except...live. I would play the keyboard, paint their nails, and so forth and some never responded. Others, of course, absolutely loved the interaction and loved an opportunity to share their histories. I so value those experiences. This will probably sound really crazy, but at that point in their lives, I was able to see them more as a soul than human being. And that's a good thing.

Point is, everyone ages differently.

My mamaw and papaw are in their late eighties. She is quite active and he is working on the farm every morning at dawn...period!

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2012

My grandpa died in October 2011. He was 92 (almost 93) years old and as witty as they come! He died in his sleep, which is how he would've wanted to go. It's crazy to think that he was driving to the grocery store one day (yes--he still drove), and he was gone the next day!

He was my biggest fan!!! :love: