Anyone else hate activities like...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bella2010, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 16, 2013

I found a red t-shirt, which will work because it's changed to sweater or shirt. My niece is home from college and was complaining about being bored, so I told her I had a project for her! I spent $3 for felt, bells, and bows. She's an artist, so heaven only knows what it'll look like, but I don't have to do it. So, I'm not going to complain about it!

2. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2013

I can't imagine professional dress being jeans in any other customer-facing industry, which is why I asked. I'd never consider wearing jeans as professional dress, but that's just me.

We can occasionally wear jeans on Friday as casual day, but I don't wear them on Fridays where I'm meeting with parents or other non-school staff. I don't think it sends the right message.

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2013

This sounds like the hum bug thread. Seriously, wearing a funny looking Christmas sweater is that big a deal? We do the secret santa thing and have much fun. Someone just left me sweet 16 donuts and a can of sardines. Scary how far inside my head they can be. My pal is getting a bottle of wine, Bible cover and coffee.
    I love Christmas and all the giving and children stuff. We took both of my schools to see Frozen the last two days and the laughs were worth a fortune to me. On a sad note our lunchroom lady (have known and worked with her nearly 30 years) is near death from cancer. She made it back to work for about a week a few months ago and was very upbeat but now it is bad. Embrace the spirit and remember the kids love to see you get outside the box and appear more human.
    merry christmas........................................

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 17, 2013

I avoided this thread for a while, but I was going to say that this doesn't have to cost a lot of money. You can make, with safety pins, some rather ugly shirts. So, if you had a sweater or a t-shirt, you could make it into an ugly sweater.

I do agree though that you shouldn't be forced to participate in something you don't have the time or money to participate in.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2013

...or the inclination.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2013

We just did the coolest thing we do every year now. I just got back with my truck. I haul the bicycles for them. Its called Shop with a Cop. The local law enforcement along with many correction officers (we have lots of prisons in our area) team with Walmart to allow many of our poorest kids to have a 100 dollar shopping trip right before school gets out for Christmas. Each child is paired up with an officer to walk around Walmart and buy the stuff they want. No parents involved. About 70 kids from my two schools were allowed to go. They have Santa there and give them a small breakfast. Big photo op for Walmart and the law enforcement folks but our kids get stuff they never would come close to getting for Christmas. I have been allowed to go the last 3 years. A great event.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 17, 2013

I just really resent being told, in a passive agressive manner, that I have to do this. Given the choice, I most certainly wouldn't. It's just not my thing, and this time of year there lots of things I'd rather spend my money on. I mean, $3 will buy a stocking stuffer for my son.

One year I made a deal with the kids that if 80% of them reached their ARP point goal I'd wear reindeer antlers all day. They did it. I've got a little of the Christmas spirit, and I'm not a total grinch, lol.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 17, 2013

There are no words for this...amazing just doesn't even come close.
    :)

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 18, 2013

Our ugly Christmas sweater contest was yesterday. I did not have an ugly Christmas sweater, so I had on a nice sweater. I did get a few comments that I must have misunderstood the concept of ugly sweater from a few staff members. I generally do not participate in such things, unless it is a potluck, because it is not my thing either. But, I am not sure I agree on the idea of bribary or being forced to participate.

10. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 18, 2013

The bah humbug attitude wouldn't fly at my school. And I'm glad!:dizzy:

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 18, 2013

My husband is a doctor and has worn jeans to work.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 18, 2013

I thought of this thread today...We received an email that announced tomorrow is "Ugly Sweater Day," and if you wear an ugly sweater, you can wear jeans.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 18, 2013

Every professional who works with my animals wears jeans. It doesn't bother me one bit, and it certainly doesn't bother the animals!

It wouldn't bother me if most professions wore jeans. My kids even told me they never notice what I'm wearing, jeans or otherwise. I've had meetings with parents while in jeans. Where I am, people aren't bothered by it. Obviously you dress accordingly and don't wear ratty jeans.

I also wear sweatshirts on our spirit Tuesday. It's my second favorite day of the week :lol:

I realize not every area is this liberal in terms of dress. Overall though, I care much more about my surgeon's surgical skills than what he's wearing!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2013

I resent that people take issue with the fact I take issue with being or feeling "forced" to participate in holidays activities.

15. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 18, 2013

Personally I don't have an issue with you feeling the way you do about feeling forced. I think some people are looking at it from their perspective which varies greatly depending on their background, current life, and workplace environment.

16. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 18, 2013

I don't dress up for spirit days. I don't do "ugly sweater things." I always look nice for work and it doesn't inhibit my ability to be a good educator or make me less passionate for my kids.

I appreciate people that are in to those things. It's not ME. I think that being forced to participate in things that make you uncomfortable or irritable is no good, just as I think trying to *stop* others from doing things that make them feel festive is no good.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2013

And I do not resent you resenting it. In fact your comment made me laugh out loud at how we all have strong and different feelings about things like this time of year. The staff at my long time school love doing these silly and maybe stupid things but we are close and very small compared to most of the schools people work in. I do not have an ugly Christmas sweater but know where all the thrift stores are and probably could snag (no pun intended) one there. Jeans? Shoot, I wear shorts everyday and tank tops when it is hot outside. I would ten times rather have a great teacher dressing down than a sorry or average one who looks like Madison Ave. :2cents:
    I say live and let live and let those that do not embrace the idiocy of Christmas exist in Peace (on earth)........

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 19, 2013

Making merriment mandatory? Madness.
    :whistle::whistle::whistle:

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2013

Excellent! You have a way with M's. But I think that sums it up.
    I will try and leave this alone now.......

20. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 20, 2013

IMHO those contests are only fun if you happen to already own an ugly sweater.if you dont and have to spend time and money going out looking for one, then I'd be annoyed.

If you do decide to participate, for what it's worth target has some really ugly sweaters in the men's section at are deliberately tacky. Yech

21. Bridgebuilder

Bridgebuilder Rookie

Dec 20, 2013

Just wondering since I'm one of those people that isn't in to those "goofy things". For those of you who don't like these kinds of spirit building activities, what kinds of activities WOULD you like to see that try to get at the same purpose?

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2013

I'd like them to pay us a huge holiday bonus. Now that would be fun and would build morale better than a sweater.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2013

Indeed!

24. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2013

Exactly.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2013

That's the problem. I'm not sure what the purpose is behind some of the activities. Some are to build a sense of community, but some are simply for fun. And to be honest, I don't look to school for my personal entertainment.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 20, 2013

I think the whole ugly sweater thing is out of control. I think it defeats the purpose if you have to go out and BUY an ugly sweater. To me, it should be something you find in grandma's cedar chest, or hanging in the back of your dad's closet.

To have to buy or make an ugly sweater just seems silly to me. If it were me, and someone told me I had to wear an ugly sweater to school, I would just wear any sweater I wanted (just to wear the jeans with it), and if anyone asked, I would say with a complete straight face "This is my ugly sweater".

27. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Dec 20, 2013

:lol:

I don't own one either so I think it would be silly too to have to go out and get one.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 20, 2013

My school is K-2. Spirit days like this are important for our school's climate and the little guys LOVE them. We have very few of them, which is fine with me. This week, the staff had a spirit week (holiday headband/hat, holiday socks, wear jingle bells, wear ugly Christmas sweater, wear red and green), I didn't do the ugly sweater day because I don't have one. There is no pressure. Some people do it, some don't. Although another teacher safety pinned Christmas ornaments to her regular sweater, so I think I would do that next year. The spirit days are fun and we all laugh at the funny things other people wear. There is no competitive spirit about it at all. We did have a raffle for Starbucks cards that you could enter if you participated. Today, the kids could wear holiday themed things, winter things, or red/green. We are a uniform school, so this was really fun for them.

I would be irritated if it was mandatory, if it got competitive, or if it was frequent. But at my school, it is a very special, rare thing, and everyone is very nice about it. The kids love it, and it's just fun. :)

As a side note, we can wear jeans whenever we want. But I'm in CA, which is typically very casual. Also, as I said, we are a K-2 school. There is a lot of moving around, sitting on the floor, and making messes. Sometimes jeans are just easier.

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 21, 2013

Only some of us participated yesterday. No one felt any pressure to participate or not. It was just fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.