Anyone else hate activities like...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bella2010, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 14, 2013

ugly Christmas sweater contests? This next week, our P is "highly encouraging" us to participate, along with students, in an ugly sweater contest. If we or students participate, then we get a prize and can wear jeans that day (we're a uniform school). If we don't, or a kid doesn't, we can't wear jeans.

IDK, I just think these things are really dumb. I have better things to spend my time and money on. We have several things similar to this we do during the year. They are all "highly encouraged," which basically means do it. Activities like that are so not my thing...at all. :|

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

I think that is crazy and I can feel your pain, especially if you have to spend money on nonsense.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2013

I guess I would be a spoilsport because no P is going to tell me that I have to participate in something that I have to pay for or that makes me uncomfortable.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

We have an ugly sweater competition on Friday also. I'm one of THOSE people .... I'm not participating. I don't keep old clothes and I refuse to go buy a sweater.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 14, 2013

I'd love to be a rebel and not do it, but I'm scared. :blush: I don't want to be on my P's poop list. He's in good with all the higher ups, and I'm honestly afraid he won't back me if I p!ss him off.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 14, 2013

*shrug* We have spirit weeks in HS at least twice a year, as well as other dress up days. Some do it, some don't. If I don't have the stuff available, I don't participate and don 't wear jeans. I don't see the big deal. It's a fun optional activity. If you have a bad principal, that does make it sucky, but with a good boss, it's just another option for a bit of extra fun.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

I totally understand Bella. Fortunately, my colleagues won't be surprised if I don't participate.;)

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

What an imposition. Having to wear a goofy Christmas sweater.
    I spent 3 hours cooking pancakes for our Santa Breakfast at school this morning. Didn't even get any biscuits and gravy as that sold out before I was finished.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

I would refuse to participate in any themed dress days; I think its silly and I just don't want to, but my Admin never asks us to do that type of nonsense. Also, with our Union, Admin cannot try to bully us into this type of stuff.

Now, my Admin got us staff t-shirts which I wear all the time. We also had a Breast Cancer 5K walk and Admin also got us staff t-shirts - I wear that also.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

Sound as if you're saying wearing the sweater is no big deal because you got talked into flipping pancakes on a Saturday. Well, did your school pay you to cook breakfast? If not, you agreed to volunteer and that's on you. If the OP doesn't want to participate, she should be forced to.

Exactly.

12. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 14, 2013

I would say that I'd be happy to wear the sweater if it was provided to me, but otherwise, sorry. Besides, that's promoting Christmas anyway which I thought we weren't supposed to be doing.

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 14, 2013

I'd rather do this than spend money, no matter how small an amount, on a stupid sweater that'll make me feel/look like an idiot all day.

14. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Dec 14, 2013

I'm one of "those" who loves the goofy themed days.

Last week was our spirit week... I wore pajamas on Monday, on Tuesday I wore a matching outfit with my grade-level for Twin day, Wednesday I was a hot mess for Mismatch Day, I wore my '80s garb and side-ponytail for Throw Back Thursday, and on Friday I wore the tackiest Christmas sweater that I could find. :D I think it's all in good fun and the kids LOVE it! We have plenty of teachers who don't participate though, and I don't think our administration gives it a second thought.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2013

I just do not participate in things I think are stupid. I think a lot of things are stupid, too. ;)

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 14, 2013

Our Winter Sports Spirit Week was actually just this past week, although the themes this go-round were particularly lame. Monday was "Season Premiere" (something related to fave tv show/movie), Tuesday was "Hunting Day" (camo or dress like an animal :confused: ) Wednesday was "Dress like your fave Olympic Sport" (practically an invitation for speedos, IMO, but surprisingly, there were none), Thurs was "dress up for fave holiday" and Friday was "School Spirit."

I wore a Bengals shirt for Season Premiere (Bengals game is ALWAYS the best tv show :p) and skipped the rest either out of laziness or being against the chosen theme.

No big deal to participate, NBD to skip it.

17. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 14, 2013

We are having ugly sweater day on Thursday. I won't be participating because I hate sweaters, and I have an IEP meeting that morning. I would hate for those parents to think I am nuts!!!:lol:

18. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 14, 2013

If I have the clothes already, and it's not too annoying to my day, I do spirit days. If I don't have the clothes and I can do something funny, I will (or if it's a competition, I make the effort). I don't have any camouflage, so on camouflage day one year, I put a some branches with leaves on them in a headband and on my clothes.

We are a somewhat diverse public school, so our spirit days are not religiously-themed.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 14, 2013

I love spirit days! I will be proudly wearing my sweater this Friday! Our P does not pressure us at all.

20. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 14, 2013

I totally do school spirit days! I even let our cheerleaders paint our school mascot on my cheek, lol. I guess I can kind of see the point in school spirit days-supporting out school activities and the like. I don't see the point in making us wear an ugly sweater all day! :p

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2013

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

This Friday is PJ day. You'd better believe I'll be there in my comfy sweatpants. For the most part, if I have something, I participate in fun days like this. The kids love seeing me "dressed down." My favorite quote from last year... "Mr. gr3teacher, you almost look like a normal person today!"

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 14, 2013

I love spirit days, too. Perhaps it's a primary teacher thing?? My kids LOVE when I participate, too. I don't spend extra money on things, just do what I can.

24. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

PJ day is THE BEST!

Man, I LOVE school spirit days! Costumes, holiday contests, spirit week etc. I get so excited. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go shopping.

Teachers who don't participate don't seem to last more than a year though. That's just the atmosphere of our school.

25. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 15, 2013

No offense, although I doubt you'll disgree with me, but that whole week sounds lame. And the hunting day? Lol. That's just nuts.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2013

I'm all for participating in school spirit activities, holiday dress ups, etc...as long as it is my choice!

The OP was objecting to the P forcing the staff to participate...kind of takes the camaraderie spirit away.

27. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

Very lame. And I was very much against the "Hunting Day". Way to risk kids coming in with weapons on shirts (which is against dress code). Plus, we live in a VERY urban area. The vast majority of these kids have never even been anywhere where hunting would be possible. :p

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I don't own ugly sweaters.

I can wear jeans whenever I want. I participate in some student council spirit days. My union asks us to wear our association shirts at times to show unity (currently in tough negotiations)...

And my administration doesn't tell us what to wear...ever. We have a self monitored dress code.. (technically in our staff manual it says something about professional dress...everyone dresses appropriately)

These are hysterical!

29. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

of course, no one does!;) but why do we see so many of them? where do they come from?:)

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I know some people who do own them and wear them thinking they are simply 'festive' :woot:

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

Our kiddos wear uniforms, so we do spirit dress. You can wear a school shirt & jeans. Very rarely do we have free dress.

Last year staff wore their ugly Christmas sweaters on the last day before break. It was actually suggested by a teacher last year and we are doing it again this year. Some participate and some don't, no biggie.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2013

I can very easily not feel like participating in that kind of stuff, but on the other hand, what's the harm? I can loosen up & have fun sometimes & go with the flow too! Why not, life is short to never have fun!

33. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

:thumb: I think this is where my line is. If it makes me spend a decent amount of money or makes me or students uncomfortable I'd be opposed to it. We sometimes do silly things to lighten the mood at Christmas, but our P realizes many of our teachers have very little money and respects that.

How I handle situations like this is kindly discuss it with the P. I have a P where this works well. Your P might be different.

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 16, 2013

We're having spirit days this week:

Monday: Wear a cute Christmas hat (most classes made hats on Friday that the kids can wear today).
    Tuesday: Wear PJs to school
    Wednesday: Santa is visiting each classroom (the kids don't know yet, either)! Wear a school spirit shirt since there's no school on Friday!
    Thursday: Wear red, white, or green for the Winter Program.
    Friday: No school!!! :D

This is a very high poverty/extremely low socioeconomic school, so we try to do things that don't involve spending money.

I'm big on school spirit. I won't be wearing pajamas on Tuesday, though, because I have a meeting at the district office. :(

35. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 16, 2013

Are jeans considered professional dress in your district?

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2013

We can wear jeans every single day if we want to.

I like some Spirit Days (especially PJ Day!) but hate most of them. No, I won't be wearing "Duct Tape and Garbage Bags" all day, thank you very much. Thankfully, our Spirit Days are entirely optional and there is no backlash if you don't participate.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2013

I know you weren't asking me this, but jeans are allowed at my current school of employment as well as my previous districts. I know many people who wear them daily.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2013

Jeans with a crisp white blouse and blazer, pumps can look very nice...while our policy says 'professional dress' , it doesn't define what that is...although you wouldn't question what youd see in my school....while I COULD wear jeans every day, I don't.

39. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 16, 2013

I do one holiday thing a year, and it's usually the cookie exchange (because heck, I get tons of cookies!).

All of the things where they try to do a secret Santa with a weird or funny gift for each day, I just don't have the mental bandwidth to think about or worry about this time of year. I'm not that creative either.

Our school is awesome because we're not guilted if we don't participate. Those who like those kinds of things can do them, and the rest can just enjoy watching.

My previous school had many more of these things that you felt you were required to do, (i.e. do a ton of background research on a colleague secretly and make them a funny award based on something for the end of the year -- I totally bombed that one, I even misspelled my colleague's name...)

40. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 16, 2013

I hate those contests, too. Ugly sweaters are getting a bit out of control...They're actually really expensive on sites like eBay.

Could you possibly go to a thrift store and spend a few bucks on one? You probably won't be able to find a Christmas sweater (they go really fast), but just find a sweater that you think is ugly, and call it a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.