Anyone else going crazy?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Aug 7, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

Maybe you should ask all of these people that inquire if you have found a job if they know where a job is avaliable. Just a thought. Terry G.

2. sharona38

sharona38 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I will also be in the 'mental ward' with all of you. I didn't get a job over the summer so I do the same computer routine every day, mail out resumes etc. If I do go out I check my messages every hour!
    Fortunately my family and friends are very supportive but it's still hard. They are all positive something will come through - me not so much!
    I had an interview yesterday but it was for 1/2 day 3yr. old group. I wasn't thrilled but I can't afford to be picky!
    On the bright side - I have a nice tan this year!
    Hang in there everyone!

3. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Beth, I am so glad you started this thread. It does help to know we are not in this alone. I got a phone call this morning to set up an interview for an instructional aide position in a special ed. classroom. Not what I want, but if I get it, it will be better than subbing. I have done that long enough. Now I am thinking about the kinds of questions I might be asked. The only time I was in sp. ed. class was this summer when I had to do a practicum for a class I took. I enjoyed it, but don't know if I could handle all the personal care.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread!
    I'm in the same position as everyone- I had one interview this year, but it was for first grade, and I don't have first grade experience. I did, however, do a long-term sub for the whole year last year in a city that I haven't even gotten an interview from. And I know they have openings!! I got excellent recommendations from the principal and the other teachers. I hate this waiting game! It really, really is making me crazy!:(

5. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

i am going wacky waiting for next week for the interview, can't make the time go by fast enough

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Take a trip. Go somewhere if you can. That will make the time go faster. I don't know where you are in NY, but our family just took several days a few weeks ago and went to the Finger Lakes Region. We had a wonderful time.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

You guys are all brave and committed (some are even tan) and schools will be lucky to get you!!

If you are subbing or temping or aiding and someone asks about a 'real job', you should tell them that you have a real job. There is no such thing as a fake job.

I feel for those of you who live in areas where there aren't enough positions to go around!

Okay, who wants to teach science in Florida??

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

Daisy, beleive me.... sometimes I feel like I should have gotten certified in math, science or SS. Maybe I would have a teaching career by now.

Going back to school is not an option. The mortgage is my main concern. Quite frankly, I don't feel as if I should HAVE to go back to get a job. I feel I am very qualified as I am. I just wish I had a chance.

As I said, I do count my blessings about my current job. I am just eager for teaching to begin. At this rate, I'll never get a chance to retire. :eek: :p

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Don't mention that word retire. My school has no retirement benefits. It is very disconcerting. I'm a lot older than most of you gals. And a widow.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Going crazy, how about arrived at crazy. The last three weeks alone have been nuts. My cat got very ill and I had to put her to sleep, we had a chance to adopt new kittens. My car broke down on the hottest day of the year and I had to wait in the heat for almost an hour for the two truck and then pay for the repair knowing the check would bounce. The next day my daughter got attacked by the neighbors dog and needed to be rushed to the hospital (shes okay) then my tire goes flat in the driveway! My nephew beats up my son, and now the dog is sick. Will I ever get a break????? I wish all this bad luck means good luck on the job front is coming, but I have given up hope. I won't show it to anyone I talk to, but I know it won't happen. Now the principal of my sons school wants to put in him a special class for ADD kids and EI kids, which is the right place for him, but if I do that he will go to another building 20 mins away, and far enough that early morning day care will be nearly impossible if I have to sub. This all sucks big time!

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

I am so sorry to hear about the turn of events in your life. Maybe all of this is getting out of the way so it can clear the path for the good things to come?
    Please don't give up hope.
    Will there be a school bus for your son? Is your daughter doing alright after the dog attack? That is so awful for her and you. My best wishes to you and your family.

12. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

My heart goes out to you. Hopefully things will soon turn around for you and something will come your way.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Yeah there will be a bus, but hubbie works third shift and gets home at 6 am, the bus for the oldest comes at 6:30 so hubbie can do that fine, how ever for the youngest it is almost 9 am before it comes. SO he tends to fall asleep, if I have to sub this year I don't know how to arrange for day care so he doesn't miss school on the days I get called.

My daughter is okay, gets the stiches out on Friday and thank god the dog missed every major blood vessel, she barely bleed, but it was a big enough hole to leave a 3 inch scar.

I'm just tired of dealing with all this crap and not even getting an interview to boot. I left my creditial program a masters one to boot with a 4.0 and the highest of recommendations, I even have experience! I subbed at DODDS a few years back, I lived in Germany, I am a good canidate and no interveiws and all this other crap is making me a very unhappy person......boo hoo.

Okay, have an appointment today, no more pity party, will resume when I get home.

14. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

DODDS? That was my school system when I was growing up. Germany too!
    Where in Germany?

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Mannheim, near Heidelburg. I loved it there and miss it everyday....

16. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

You're telling me! I spent the first 17 years of my life there!!!
    Wiesbaden area.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

So sorry about your cat. It is hard when we loss an animal. I hope you dog is getting better. Glad your daughter is ok. I hope she won't be afraid of dogs now that she has been biten.
    Why does the bus not pick your youngest up until 9am?
    And why in the world would a school put all the students with ADD in one classroom? And what is EI?

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Emotional impaired = EI, as for all the ADD kids in one class, no sorry I didn't make that clear. THey are only putting a few kids in the class between 6 and 9 kids total. Only the ones with the worst reputations for behavior in the classroom. My son prides himself on nearly making his 1st grade teacher quit teaching....he isn't a bad kids, just absoluty no impulse control.

19. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

If only the supervisors in your districts could see how dedicated you all are.....its summer, a time you should be out playing and you are on here....worrying. Believe me, I have been there....and persistance pays off.
    Good luck...we'll be thinking about you.

20. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I am going crazy..... I don't take rejection well and I stress way too much with interviews. The combination of the two do cause for pulling out ones hair.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Here we call students with EI ED. Emotional Disturbed.
    Your son sounds like a student I would totally enjoy having in my classroom.

22. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I am in the same position as everyone else here...still checking the ads, the e-mails, the answering machine, etc. all day. It's very frustrating, especially since school has already started here. That's when it really hit me hard. It's good to have this website, at least to know I'm not the only one. I wish everyone good luck in their job searches.

23. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Aug 9, 2006

i'm here one of the many going through this agonizing countdown of whether or not i'll get a job before the school year starts. what i wanted to comment on though is how funny i think it is that we keep mentioning our poor significant others that are dealing with our unexpected emotional breakdowns when we pass the back to school isle or obsessive compulsive email checks and sprints to answer the ringing telephone. i'm thinking we might need to start a 'teacher's significant others support group' forum!

24. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

That is funny because everytime I talk to my husband he has to ask if everything is ok with ne before he starts to talk. I am sure it is hard for him because until I get a full time job, he will be working 70-80 hours a week. He has been doing it for about a year already and he is ready to work less. Even if I sub (which pays below the poverty level) he will have to work lots of OT to pay our bills.