Anyone else going crazy?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 7, 2006

Ok, I'm starting to really feel like I'm losing my mind. I am completely preoccupied with applying for jobs, preparing for interviews, and then waiting to hear back from the principals that I've interviewed with. I do consider myself lucky that I've had as many interviews this summer as I have, but I'm still jobless and the job search has taken over my life!

Although he hasn't said anything, I know that my poor boyfriend is really tired of hearing me talk about interviews and what-not. I also have been working full time all summer (something I had wanted to avoid) and spend the entire day looking at my cell phone, making sure I have service, and checking to see if I have any voicemails. I know that my coworkers are also getting really tired of hearing me talk about it and seeing me constantly looking at my phone, but like I said, I'm completely preoccupied with finding a job. I honestly can't take my mind off of it for more than 5 minutes at a time!

Is anyone else feeling this way???
    Please tell me I'm not crazy! :rolleyes:

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Yep, totally nuts!

My co-workers got in on it though. They've been really supportive, and, since I'm going back to daily subbing, the boss says it's fine if I come in whenever I'm not called to be at a school! (My landlord is my boss though, so they have a vested interest in me being as employeed as possible.)

I feel like after our wedding. It was so hard to stop looking at dresses, flowers, cakes, and other knick-knacks and saying out loud "That'd be great for the wedding!" You get in the mode of looking for things that it's hard to stop!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 7, 2006

My coworkers have also been very supportive. They've rearranged their schedules to work around my interviews these past few weeks and have really been great.

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I am feeling the same way. I am constantly sending out resumes, etc. and I haven't gotten any interviews. I am so tired of people asking me what I will be doing this coming school year. I am trying hard not to let it consume me, but it is a job in itself. A job that doesn't pay unless you get hired.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

All of the "craziness" and hard work will eventually pay off; I have faith.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 7, 2006

It absolutely is a job in itself!
    People are constantly telling me, "Don't worry about it" "Don't let it stress you out" but it's really all I can think about. I've had headaches almost everyday lately and my face is breaking out....I think it's because of stress.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

Hugs Beth! I know what you are going through. My face is a mess and I lost about 8 pounds since April. My pants are HUGE! Oh well.
    Something has to come along for you.

9. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

See, I *gained* weight. I guess my hording instincts kicked in.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

When I get nervous I loss weight and loss it quickly. Which isn't any better than gaining. When I moved back from a diaster in WA state I was only 98 pounds.

11. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Isn't the most annoying thing running into people and them asking, " Have you got a job yet?"

12. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

hi beth-i am actually wishing i had a job (at least something pt) right now to take my mind off all of this!! though it sounds like that doesn't always help. :( what i have been trying to do is look for jobs/do job stuff for maybe an hour or two per day...and that's it. it is so hard for me to walk away from my computer but i know that i have to! otherwise i will lose my mind. i was thinking today how lucky i am to even have something to go back to-i can only imagine how many new grads out there are going crazy trying to find something last minute. anyhoo, good luck to you! i have faith that there is a (good) job out there for all of us...it just takes time! and it's hard to be patient when you want something so bad! hang in there! :) -meri

13. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

No kidding. Someone just stopped by my desk here at work and asked that very question. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!:eek:

I always think, don't ya think I would have announced it, or screamed it over the intercom, or something along those lines. But I just say no, not yet!

Yes, the stress does get to you some days. I just keep telling myself "this will help me become a better teacher, this will help me become a better teacher, this will help me become a better teacher."

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Beth you are not crazy! As I watch the August days slipping away, I've kind of resolved to myself that this will be another year at my current job. I think I'm numb to any kind of sadness at this point.

15. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

I, too, am so annoyed at hearing that question! Especially from my mother, who was a stay-at-home mom my whole life, and never returned to an outside-the-home job after the kids left. She really must think I'm not doing anything as far as looking for a job. Recently, my parents, brother and sister-in-law ganged up on me and suggested that maybe I should take my "teaching skills" and apply them to a totally different field, because this doesn't seem to be working out for me! (At least my husband stood up for me!)

I feel like all I do is look at school websites, send out cover letters and prepare for interviews!

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Mrs T. I almost cried after that post, I know how frustrating it is to get the pity responses from people. If they only knew what it was like.:rolleyes: Sometimes, I feel like such a big loser! Uggh

17. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I agree...my hair has been falling out, has to be stress!

18. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

I think it especially sucks when you run into teachers you've worked with who ask about the job situation. I was a long-term sub for a year - that was 2 years ago - and I see teachers from that school all the time. I know they mean well, but when they ask if I'm teaching, I feel so embarrassed to say no. This weekend I'm going to a wedding for one of my friends (one of that school's teachers) and I have to sit with them all. How awkward will that be?

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 7, 2006

I've been having a really hard time sleeping lately. Jobs are at the forefront of all my thoughts. Luckily for me my boyfriend is very supportive. In fact, he gets angry on my behalf that I haven't been hired yet!

I'm so bad now that I have a daily "job routine." I spend hours checking and re-checking postings (in case something has popped up in the 30 minutes since I last checked)!

I too hate the question about jobs. Believe me, when I get one, EVERYONE will know! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling yucky about this!!!

20. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I've not only had the teachers ask me, the parents are asking me if I will be a teacher at the school where I was a long term sub for the past 3 years. I've also been invited to a wedding this fall of a teacher at that school. I was thinking of not even going. It is too hard.

21. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Someone suggested that to me also, but the only thing that I really want to do is teach.

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

.. and it just occurred to me that sometimes I vascillate between wanting a job really bad and then becoming panic stricken about what if I'm a huge failure... Uggghhhh...

23. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Miss Frizzle,
    Me too! I had an interview last week -- didn't hear from them either way (They were going to decide Friday, so I've written that off). All weekend I was alternately panicked that I would not get the job (and mad!) and completely panicked that I would get the job! I don't even make sense to myself anymore!

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

I am praying for all of you right now.

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Thank you Upsadaisy

Ms. T- OH good, at least this is normal... :rolleyes:

26. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

You're lucky...I gain weight when I'm stressed. And I break out too. Lovely combination!

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2006

You are all in my thoughts.

28. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Thank you Upsadaisy.

29. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I feel the same as everyone else. I broke down in tears yesterday when somenone asked what grade I would be teaching. Then i got an interview today for next week. An hour later I got another interview for next weeek so maybe things will cahnge

30. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

I'm There With You

I feel exactly the same way. I had a little break-down the other day because yet again my boyfriend asked me if I found a "real" job yet. What he doesn't realize is how hard I'm working at the application process. I've only had one interview so far and that wasn't great. Just keep telling yourself that you WILL get some interviews and you WILL get a job just right for you. I keep thinking that if I imagine it, then it has to happen. Try the positive thinking...it goes a long way.

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

I hate the "real Job" saying:rolleyes:

32. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 7, 2006

After 4 years of working permanent jobs and trying to get an administrative credential I am going back to day to day subbing. I used to be a mentor teacher. I would really like to find a teaching job that would allow me to take on administrative duties. I have even thought about dropping put of the credential program. I reallym do not want to sub but it is better than doing a job I cannot stand. My last job was horrible. The principal spoke condescendingly to all of the teacher except her two favorites and sided with parents. I left the job because my mother was sick but i would have quit anyway. I was originally hired to be an anministrator than I was demoted to mentor teacher. After that I had to serve as an aid for 2 weeks while another teaer(one of the principal's favorites) taught my class the CAHSEE. I was her aide! It was horrible. I was ready to leave when my mon got sick. They have given me good references but I am really being picky about my next job because I do not want to end up like this again. Terry G.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

I'm sorry that some people are so insensitive to you all. I'm a Preschool teacher in a daycare and we offer all day care for infants through 5 year olds. We are all teachers there, but many times people refer to us as baby sitters. My father-in-law asked me one day if I was still baby sitting all those kids. I was so mad I just walked away. One time I invited my mother-in-law to see my classroom and she wasn't the least bit interested.
    By the way, I know the pay can be rather lousy, but have you tried applying for teacher jobs in daycares? It could be a good experience and would look good on your resumes. I hope I'm not offending anyone by this suggestion. It's just a thought and you would be with kids!

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Grammy- my job as a case manager is ok with me. I'm making just a tad below a teacher's salary now. I work 4 days w/full benefits and major flexibllitly. Some would say I'm crazy to leave. It's just not teaching.

I feel very fortunate in that I do have security. I am keeping the faith that very soon, it will be my turn. :angel:

35. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2006

Hang in there!

Hang in there everyone. I have had the same feelings! I subbed for almost a year in a couple of challenging positions and that district couldn't find a job for me this year. Two weeks ago, I was sitting around grouching at my husband because it was him on the phone and not a school district...when 30 seconds later I had a call for an interview. Today I got the job offer from the superintendent. The interview and the people were a perfect fit for me and it all just feels right. This all came after seriously looking for work for about 5 years. I know you can get discouraged. Just keep looking toward the goal and play up your assets. If I can get a job after 14 years of being home with the kids, you can too!

36. agray

agray Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

Iagree with you all, I don't even like going to Wal-Mart . I see everyone I know and that is the question. Do you have a job yet? Well what are you going to do? I just tell them that is a good question, I might just take the year off and focus on my masters. It seems like people think is funny that you don't have a job. I live in a small town anyway so you see everyone.

37. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 8, 2006

I was in the exact same position. I would obsessively check my email all day and check CA's job site all day and think about not having a job all day. As each day passed I was getting more and more depressed. I slept more and more. Which was sorta good because it kept me from obsessing, but you can't sleep your life away! My depression was so bad that when I had a tiny accident in my car I had a complete break down. My husband was afraid for my mental health. One thing that helped me was to come up with a detailed plan for if I didn't get a job. Another thing was coming here and seeing all the supportive posts and realizing that I wasn't alone!

38. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Not only do I see people I know when I go to Wal-Mart, it is hard for me to walk past all the Back to School stuff.

39. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I am right there with you all. I also had gotten to the point that I dread leaving my house for fear of running into someone who will ask the dreaded question, "Have you found a real job yet?" I told my husband part of the problem is that people who are not involved in the field of education just don't understand what it's like. It's not like many other professions where when you finish school, it's just a matter of time before your hired.
    There just are so very few openings.

Last year, I was fortunate to be asked to job share with a teacher at the school where I was student teaching. I agonized (I mean tearfully) over whether to take it. I had to decide by mid-July, and I knew it would take me out of running for any full-times that might open up. I was glad I decided to take it, because there were no open positions later. (I also LOVE my job and school!!).
    Even with having that position, people still asked me about finding a "real" job!!

People started asking me in April if I had anything lined up for this fall yet!! THAT really started a panic for me! It's almost as if they think there is some kind of job store we can just walk into a select a position off the shelf! It just doesn't work that way.

Anyway--- sorry this is so long. I just wanted to say that you're not alone. One thing that I try to remind myself is that God has a plan for me. Wherever it is that I am meant to be is where I'll end up. It WILL happen. I will eventually get a full-time position. Until then, on the journey to that destination, I have the opportunity to gain insights, experiences that will make me a better teacher than I would have been if I had gotten a full-time right out of the gate.

40. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Hugs to all of you!!

Beth, I am keeping everything crossed for you. My heart aches for you! My SIL graduated 3 years ago, and she is still looking for a permanent job. So I kind of know how you feel. People are always saying, if Jennifer can't find a job, what makes you think you can? I don't know, but I just know that teaching is where I want to be.

Anyway, just wanted you all to know that I am thinking of you!

41. Monica32

Monica32 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Already Crazy!

:crosseyed
    I feel for you I am in the same boat-- I have had but only a couple but I am stir crazy- Freaking out anytime the phone rings. I had a second interview yesterday with the supt and now waiting the phone call. I really want that position and I really put my all into the interview and now have to wait!!! So I can sympathize completely, my nerves are up and down, I don't eat well, and my husband probably thinks I lost my mind... We can hang in there to-gether!!!