Anyone else feel like they've been looking FOREVER??!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by merigold78, Aug 23, 2008.

1. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 23, 2008

hi guys,

i am mildly depressed that school is starting soon - like this week - & i still don't have a job :(. of course no one should really feel sorry for me b/c i did have a position, but chose to give it up for multiple reasons (lack of support/resources, extended day, low pay, etc.). i guess i'm just bummed that it's taking me so long to find a stinkin' good job. it's been over 5 years since i began my search for the perfect (whatever that means) teach. position. in the meantime i have accepted crappy opportunity after crappy opportunity - while still searching for something better. i am starting my master's degree this fall, & am slightly worried that this will make me even more over qualified. but according to the great state of ohio, i have to get this & i really don't want to put it off any longer.

i am not sure what i really hoped to accomplish here, but thanks for listening. i never dreamed it would be this difficult to find the right job.

Meri

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2008

Meri= I empathize with you. I had 3 jobs where I was either underpaid or weren't exactly what I expected before coming to land in a school where I happily, passionately, excitedly am now. Not every job is going to be your dream job. It's your job though to bloom where you are planted- to make the most of the situation for the kids you teach, to learn from the experience and to grow. Leaving a job without another one lined up (and a signed contract) is never a good idea. Could you sub this year to keep your face in the schools?

4. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 23, 2008

i have signed up to sub. in 3 districts to hopefully get a "foot in the door." i respect your mentality that it's not a good idea to quit one job w/o having another. however, i worked in my last school for 3 years & had pretty much reached the peak of burn out when i decided to resign. i know in my heart that i did everything i was intended to do there (including helping many kids that REALLY needed me!)......but sometimes it is just time to move on.

in my opinion, the kids that would have been my students this year will now be in a much better position. hopefully they will have a fresh & energetic teacher that is able to give more than i could at this point.

p.s. thanks for sharing your Meri
    own personal experience :).

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2008

I know the phrase is overused, but hang in there. It'll happen when it happens.

One thing you might consider (since I seem to remember you saying that you're unable to relocate) is looking for teaching positions in unusual settings.

For example, hospitals often hire teachers to teach children who are admitted for extended periods of time. I used to work at an inpatient psychiatric hospital which had two full-time teachers and two full-time aides to work with patients who were admitted during the school year so that they wouldn't fall behind on their school work. The teachers and aides were technically employed by the local public school district, so they had all those good benefits and hours. I do know that many hospitals hire their own teachers and don't tap into the public school system.

You might also contact local universities and community colleges, especially those with teacher prep and daycare programs. You might just be qualified to be a supervisor or director for one of the daycare programs. Or, you could work as an adviser in the teacher prep programs.

Have you looked at tutoring places, like Sylvan Learning Center? You're probably qualified to be the Education Director at one of those. Or, you could work as a part-time tutor, which would at least bring in some money. When I was in grad school, I was hired as a tutor for the athletics department at my university. I was technically employed by the NCAA, which was neat to put on my resume. I was paid fairly well, and all my tutees came to me through the athletics department--I didn't have to advertise or anything.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

I definitely understand your frustration. I wish I could offer you some great advice. I'm sitting here waiting for the HR to respond, and it's killing me. I like Cassie's advice about looking in other places to work. I tried looking on craiglist for other teaching and tutoring jobs, but haven't found anything good in my area. Subbing does help get your foot into the door though. It did help when I got my first job.

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 23, 2008

Would it help to apply for coaching positions? Our school "found a place" for a guy who is going to be an assistant football coach. A position miraculously appeared.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

I've seen so many coaching positions open in my area! I would love to apply but I really don't know that much about the sport. They had like three positions for a cheerleading coach.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2008

meri-It's only been 2 years for me, but it seems like longer. :hugs: we can hang in there together!

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 23, 2008

12 years for me:eek:. I have worked in three different schools, all of which where much the same as yours. Unappreciated, no respect, and often abused, only to be riffed at the end of the year.

Here I am struggling to get an interview. I know that I am a great teacher. The parents of my former students have requested me over and over. They have even gone to bat for me, to no avail.

I always said that if I ever found a teaching job, I would stay in the district until I retired. Problem is that they won't let me stay. I have never gone into a summer knowing that I had a position. I have always had to wait for the numbers to come in. Usually, they haven't and I have to scramble for a job.

This is me, once again, scrambling. Now, loosing what little hope I had of finding anything :|.

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

Meri,
    Even though schools are beginning in Ohio...don't give up hope. My friend was just hired a few days after school began to teach 5th grade in NKY. So things could still happen. I know that all grades in my building are sitting very HIGH, but we can't really do anything about it until about three kids are added to each grade level with our current budget ficaso. I know that you're doing all the right things...please hang in there. :)

After you complete your masters, will you get another certification? Won't that make you more marketable as well? :)

I know last summer, I also started applying to schools in NKY as well as Ohio, as I have licenses in Kentucky and Ohio. Might be something to look into to expand your search... :)

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 24, 2008

Hang in there! I know it's tough to do so but also look elsewhere and keep busy with other things if you can - I think it's harder when you just focus solely on the job search.

13. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

thanks for all the great ideas, guys. i have decided to tutor this year, & am convinced i will be looking at private schools/alternative places to teach (such as hospitals) down the road.....if things don't improve. i think i just need to have the attitude that whatever is meant to be, will be! but that is so hard sometimes.

a few days ago i went to help a friend get her (new) classroom ready. i think it drummed up WAY too many emotions :( - perhaps i should stay away from all schools for the next 30 days (ha-ha)!! anyhoo, thanks for all the support & wonderful advice. have a spectacular week! :)

Meri

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

merigold, after helping my best friend set up her new room, I cried all the way home. Of course, I didn't let her know that. Heck I cry in the school supply section at Walmart:blush:. Can anyone say "Clean up on aisle 4"? :rolleyes:

Hang in there. We are all in this together.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

Try not to be too depressed. Many of us are in the same boat as you and we can totally relate. My advice would be to be practical about it. If you absolutely can't find a teaching job, find something else for the time being. I have been coming to grips with this in the past couple of months and have some different opporunities, but still in the field of education. I guess some of us just have to wait our turn...good luck with your search!

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

This is the third consecutive new school year that began and I wasn't hired (and I relocated for a job!). This is the first year I actually had interviews, though, so I feel like I made some progress.

I started crying the other day when I drove past an elementary school (one I applied to yet received no response) that had a sign welcoming new teachers. Last week was new teacher orientation/training. This coming week is in-service and next Tuesday is the first day of school.

17. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 24, 2008

i know that feeling....i have been crying most of each day since last Thursday....I need some happy pills or a qualude or something....it sucks...I keep telling myself that God has a plan for me and I keep trying to keep my faith that it will all work out but to be honest, I feel like my worst fears have been realized. gotta go get some tissues... :(