anyone else feel like they're wasting their time?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tb71, Jul 8, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 8, 2009

I know I am new to this, but wow! I have filled out so many apps (as I know a lot of you all have too), sent so many e-mails and faxes that I'm beginning to feel like I am just wasting my time and should just stop and wait for the clinical teaching to start in August. I have never had such a hard time getting a job and just amazed at the application process for teachers.
    **I definitely think there is a market to offer a service that completes apps, sends faxes, resumes and follow ups. I know I'm to the point that I would consider paying someone else to do this part.
    **Thanks for letting me vent (seems there is a lot of venting going on lately;)).

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

tb~that was my thinking last year...that I should have opened up a consulting firm for job seekers.

4. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 8, 2009

Yes, I definitely feel like I'm wasting my time.

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

Yep, pretty frustrating.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2009

I remember back in late 80's. The job market was pure crap. I had just finished a Ph.D. fellowship and had decided to I needed to get out of academia and get back into the work force. I sent out over 1,000 applications (and that was without a computer -- I used a typewriter!) It all seemed so futile. I ended up taking a receptionist job just to keep food on the table, until the market got better and I got back into an administrative position.

As my grandmother always said "This too shall pass."

Hang in there and do what you have to until it gets better. This isn't the first time we've had high unemployment and it won't be the last time. You can't let it defeat you.

And really, what is the alternative? If you do nothing, you certainly won't get that job.

Hang in there. It will get better.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

Great advice that we all need Rainstorm! thanks!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2009

:agreed:

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

yup i feel exactly the same, i've spent A LOT of time, money and effort in my job search so far and havent even gotten an interview out of it. so yes i definetely feels its a waste of time at the moment. but i just keep telling myself, eventually i will find somehting and it will make all of that effort worth it.

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I know you're right. I can't imagine having to use a typewriter...I make mistakes with the computer...I'd never get a perfect copy on a typewriter :)
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

All it takes is ONE administrator to see something in that resume that makes him pick up the phone and schedule an interview.

Just one.

And when I graduated college in 1980, I applied to every one of the 121 public school districs on Long Island, a dozen Catholic High Schools in our diocese, the Archdiocese of NY and the NYC public school system. By typewriter. Oh, and I'm math, where the odds are good.

No one (well, no one telling the truth) said this would be easy. But it's SOOO worth it!

12. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I know what you mean. It takes a lot of time to get everything filled out and ready to be sent off. I have not heard anything yet, but I keep sending out emails, packets, etc. I am still holding out hope that I will get something. In the meantime, I am getting on sub lists and checking out teaching and assistant teaching positions within preschools and such. It does make me feel bad that I haven't heard from anyone, but I keep telling myself that there are so many teachers that are out there searching right now.

13. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

I feel EXACTLY the same way!!!

I keep second guessing every app.,resume and cover letter I send out also. I just feel like it has to be PERFECT to even get noticed.

On top of the whole application process, I work full-time in a restaurant while taking classes to receive additional certification.

I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I know EVERYONE is having a difficult time right now because of the economy.

The consulting business for teachers is INCREDIBLY attractive!!!!!

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

I feel like I am just going through the motions this year. I fill out apps, send/drop off resume packets, email, etc. I continue to update my online portfolio and personal portfolio. Yet, I don't even have hope or excitement that any of the the handful of open positions will even consider me. I feel like I am playing the lottery. I keep picking my numbers and if I'm lucky I might get an interview, let alone a position. Come on....momma needs a new pair of shoes(literally). I really am starting to feel jaded.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 9, 2009

Alice you are so right. It just takes the one principal, the one call, the one interview that will change your life. Please don't give up the fight. Our children need passionate teachers that WANT to be in the classroom. :hugs:

16. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I just wanted to say that as frustrating as all of this is, we can't let it beat us! I have diligently (& I do mean diligently) looked for a job for the PAST 6 YEARS! In the meantime I have accepted jobs in the crappiest of crap schools :( just to get experience & utilize my education/skills.

Several weeks ago I took my 2 1/2 mo. old baby up to a school - where I'm known very well - to drop off a resume. After leaving, I burst into tears & thought I am so over all of this! It was bad enough having to drop in on schools by myself - now I have to drag my newborn son along??!!

So I decided to just "take a break" & have gotten 2 calls for interviews. One position I honestly think I may get! My point here is that sometimes in life things get really hard & frustrating & we just want to say to heck w/it! But you can't give up! Do not - I repeat, DO NOT - let all of this beat you. It is so not worth it.

Hang in there & good luck to everyone still searching!

Meri

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 9, 2009

Saying a special prayer for you. :love:

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

I TRULY believe I'm wasting my time...and it's hard to "get up" to keeping filling out applications.

I SERIOUSLY don't know what is wrong with me. I am a great teacher. I have been teaching one way or another (from Sunday school to summer school to volunteer teaching and substituting to full-time classroom teaching) every year since i was in 6th grade... but I can't even get many interviews--let alone land a job.

I know about getting an in-the-mean-while job. But I have just turned 50. I'm not married...and I don't have this LONG future ahead of me. If I throw in the towel for a year...or ever...that's me writing off teaching for the rest of my life...and even the thought of that... (like right now)...brings me to tears.

What is WRONG with me?????? I'm a teacher, dam* it!

Since I'm on this rant...

I used to think it was grades...if you have good grades then you get the jobs. No. I had nearly straight A's when I returned to get my Elem. Ed. Certificate.

I THOUGHT it was having wonderful letters of recommendation. No. My letters are so good they make me blush.

I THOUGHT it was awards or special honors/honorary appointments-positions. No. I have those, and if i get an interview and mention those in my "about me" intro-I can hear crickets in the room.

I THOUGHT it was Who you know...but every connection I have had has led to NOTHING.

I've stopped thinking. I send applications-but know they aren't hitting the mark. People have looked at my resume and cover letters (I've gone to a number of sources) they all say it looks very very good-at least. I have wondered aloud if it's my age...and people will say- that's discriminatory and illegal..but that you'll never be told that THAT is the reason.

The results of the interviews i HAVE been on say... Wonderful-to-outstanding candidate/great interview...just not the "right fit".

I recently went to a workshop entitled... What REALLY matters with struggling readers -Fluency and RtI given by Richard Allington....a HUGE name in Education.

He commented in his presentation: "Administrators need to start hiring GREAT (well-knowing) TEACHERS ...not just great sets of legs." And I started clapping.

The old mare still has a LOT to give... if ANYONE would take a chance on her.

OK, now I have to stop. I'm crying-and don't want to totally depress myself this early in the day.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

McKenna - There is a job out there for you. From what I hear on these boards, your particular state is not doing a whole lot of hiring. I am not from IL and do not profess to know how the system works. I do think some of what you say is true. Districts can hire a new, inexperienced teacher for less pay and they can mold her into their vision and they can count on her staying within the district for a good long time for the most part. These are tough economic times still. :hugs:

However, many posters are saying that they are not getting jobs because a more experienced, seasoned teacher came along and was snapped up. Since your interview skills are awesome, and your resume looks fantastic, go treat yourself to a new, hip outfit that says, I am young, professional, enthusiastic, and a team player. (Shopping always makes me feel a little better and it really does help to wear something that says "hip" and not something that says "suit" - translation: no fun.) When I was on interview teams, a suit never came across well in an interview. Go to Ann Taylor Loft, or to New York and Company and find something professional, AND fun! Find yourself a cute dress. You will see your confidence soar WHEN (not saying if) you get that next interview. If you have the money, get a new hair cut too! :)

I KNOW that it can be extremely frustrating. :( I recently had to change states and I was so worried about exactly the same thing. I was very lucky - in the right place at the right time - and was hired. I know that my experience helped me. You ARE getting interviews and that is huge. There are so many on this board that still have not had interview one. Just keep trying. We NEED experienced go getter teachers like you too! I know it is hard and I can feel your pain. Don't give up because that next interview just may be THE job. All the best!!! No more crying! Today is a new day. We are benind you 100%! :hugs:

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

McKennaL,

I have everyone of the qualifications you stated above...grades, contacts, awards, professional development, etc...I have just come back into the field after 4yr. stint as an AHM. I am currently in a school district hoping to get an opportunity. But, so far....NOTHING. I trully don't think it's your age. It's the market. If you are searching anywhere in the greater chicago/suburban area, there is nothing. I mean nothing. Sure there are job postings(occasionally), but there are so many internal candidates, that it's almost hopeless. Just keep at it McKennaL...eventually it will happen for us. I have to believe that...this is my passion to teach as I am sure it is yours. We can't give up despite the hurdles.

21. orchid

orchid Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Beyond frustrating

I know I am going to express an unpopular sentiment here. So here goes.

I think those of us who went through the credential process in the last few years ( I am in CA) are the victims of a cruel joke. The media and universities constantly publicized a teacher shortage, and encouraged everyone from recent high school grads to mid-career changers to become teachers. We were all led to believe there were more than enough jobs to go around, and our educational investment would quicly pay-off with a rewarding and in-demand career. My own experience aside, I see post after post here of highly qualified teachers spending precious years searching for a job, with little success. I am all for perseverence and hanging in here, but I am also in favor seeing the situation for what it is and to get on with life and another career direction when the situation is this bleak. Yes, it only takes one administarator to hire you, but there are too many credential holders and graduates in relation to actual job openings. Sorry, but I am planning to return to school to learn something else, even at this age.

22. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Througout this process I have wondered if I am chasing after a career that will amount to nothing. Should I change careers? Everytime that thought comes I cry. I cry because I can't think of doing anything else. I didn't choose this profession because it works with my kids schedule, it wasn't because I was told that jobs were easy to come by(because they weren't when I graduated 12 yrs. ago), I would never choose a job because it was easy to get. I don't know what else I would do, TEACHING is what I want to do. I do appreciate your post though, because if anyone is out there hoping to get a teaching position and is in it for convenience, schedule, etc. Please do the rest of us a favor and change careers.

What I do know about most of the AtoZ members, they wouldn't be putting years of effort into this jobsearch if they felt any differently than I do. Nobody puts the effort that we have put into a career if it was anything less than a passion.

:thanks::2cents:

23. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I'm agree with the looking for a different career. I just spent 3.5 HOURS filling out an essay application for a teaching job. Here in AZ. the state goverment was trying to make it easier to be a teacher. What for? There are few jobs. What a cruel trick to play on people. Even the Federal Goverment is calling for more and more teachers. That's a laugh. Especially since right now the prefered route is Teach for America. BAM! 8 weeks of training and you are in a classroom. So why did I spend 5 years getting my degree?
    Seriously, me and biology degree are now completing much shorter applications for jobs in other fields. My daugher is sad that I can't get a teaching job, but I have to pay the bills.
    My teacher friend told me that as soon as school starts I will get a job or that a week or two into the school year the phone will ring like crazy. So I am spending time getting ready to teach some random science subject for an unspecified grade of students that spent a few days sitting on the floor of an overflowing classroom.

24. orchid

orchid Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I agree with you JW13

I think people with your passion and dedication are the ones who deserve the jobs. And those of us who went into this beleiving the hype about teacher shortages, steady work with a decent income etc, will probably give up. I know I am moving on to something else. If something comes along, fine, but by then, I hope to be involved in a new field.
    Best of luck to you JW13 and all the rest who are truly dedicated and willing to hang in there.

25. orchid

orchid Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I am assuming the feds want preschool teachers ( universal preschool). Thanks, but no thanks. I have also been told by a few sources that many schools prefer to hire district interns, alumni, and there is a bias against hiring "older" teachers ( over 35,40,45, you pick). Talk about a good ol` boys club!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

I rejoined the workforce 3 years ago at the age of 47 after 6 years at home.

I turned down 2 offers. I saw no bias against "older" teachers.

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

I was offered several jobs in DFW Texas area. No bias there. I was not even Texas certified at the time. Those phones will start to ring soon - and let me just say to jw13 - You say what you said in that post on a job interview and you will win the job. I would hire you based on your passion and love of teaching. The rest will come... :rolleyes:

28. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 10, 2009

I DEFINITELY feel like I am wasting my time. I have wasted my time, money, and energy on multiple rounds of interviews and demo lessons. All for nothing. I feel like a puppet who is being manipulated by all these schools and principals. I have an interview coming up at a great school, but the hiring process is ridiculous.... and I feel like I dont have a chance. It is even extremely difficult to get long term sub positions. I was REALLY hoping I wouldnt have to day-to-day sub, but who knows... I might.:mad:

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you...just trying to keep the faith. Now I am just waiting around for that interview:whistle:

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

In my mind I very could be wasting my time, but if I don't apply and do all of this then I have a 0% (or close to zero) of getting a job. And who knows I could have perfect timing with a school or district.

31. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

It is so hard to be so passionate about the "career that chose you" and not to be able to use it.

I do feel that age does play a factor even though some administrators would not admit it. Sure there are some that will let a few pass, but I do believe that too many now are looking for "great legs". That's no to say that you can't have both, but you know what I mean.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

There are just as many women principals as men principals out there. I don't think that they are looking for a great pair of legs. I am sorry if you have had this experience. I interviewed at several places over the last few years. I was hired by 3 men and by 3 women. My legs are ok... but I would not say great. :) Keep the faith.

33. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I don't think that age is a factor.

34. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I do sometimes think I'm wasting my time applying at certain schools that I know are hard to get into but I've always applied anyway. I figure I'm already sending tons of resumes out what's one more? AND, I did get an interview with a 'hard to get into school' last week. I never ever thought they'd actually call me for an interview but they did. I didn't get the job but you never know who is going to call. All it takes is one person to like what they see...

35. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Orchid, I think you are absolutely right. In fact, the college where I obtained my credential last year, is STILL selling that bill of goods.
    The media is not helping as they keep shrilling; "Education, where the jobs are." Should say, "Where the jobs aren't." Hello?
    McK clealry there is nothing wrong with you, it's the economy. Hang in there.

36. orchid

orchid Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I know at Cal State LA where I got my credential ( and many of the Cal State campuses) education is the most popular major with 20% of the student body in an education/credential program. Many are minority students who are the first in the family to attend a university, and teaching is considered respectable and appropriate. It seems that minorities and mid-career changers are prime targets for the hype. We all fall for this because we are led to believe "government" jobs are secure, plentiful, and non-discriminating . And some of the posts I have read that mentioned being blacklisted by a antagonistic, bitter, or just plain unforgiving administrator. McCarthy era anyone? And education is supposed to be "liberal-minded" public service. I am sorry to be so cynical. And I know the ones who have the inner drive, dedication and passion will eventually thrive and land a job sooner or later, but the media hype is targeted to those more vulnerable.

37. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I took the middle school science Arizona Educators Proficiency Exam on Saturday. There were so many of us, we backed up traffic. There were hundreds of teachers, all of whom HAVE to pass at least one if not two of these exams. It doesn't matter if you have a degree, a ton of credits, or years of experience, if you don't pass the AEPA you are not highly qualified and out of a job. At 135$ each try, someone is making money off of us.

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Do I feel like I'm wasting my time? So many times. Here's an example, I had an "interview" at the beginning of June. Interviews are over three days. I'm thinking ok this is going to be a long one since they're spreading them out. Nope. 15 minutes with a timer and back-to-back. I had asked when they scheduled how long they would be and who it would be with and was told 45 minutes to an hour though.

This is now my third summer looking. The first summer was after I graduated. Yup, I'm a career-changer. I did get a position but then the budget was cut. Second summer got no I offers and am now on my third summer. I can't imagine doing anything else besides teaching though so I persist.

39. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Age definately plays a factor. Not in an "in your face" sort of way, but it is a factor. And women Ps are just as bad as male Ps in considering fashion and legs when hiring. It doesn't make Ps bad people, but study after study shows that these things do matter in hiring. Does it mean someone older can't get a job? Of course not, but it could be part of why they haven't gotten a job to this point.