Anyone else fearing for their job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Dec 30, 2015.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 30, 2015

When I see headlines like this, I fear the worst:

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/tr...as-fully-turned-around-the-u-s-economy/23369/

In general, everywhere you look, you see stores closing. In my area, markets like Haggan (which opened/closed seemingly in the same year), Fresh/Easy... This being the end of the holidays--I'm expecting major stores that held on just til now will announce bankruptcy or something (I had some Borders cards that were left unused... I have some Barnes/Noble cards now that I'm determined not to see go wasted either). I also finished reading a book called, "The Crash of 2016". It highlights why a crash is imminent. Of course we have an election coming where an administration is on the way out, like we had in '08. I think those administrations do their best to patchwork the economy on the way out, so that the clean-up/legacy is left to the incoming. It was in that time when I earned my credential ('08). It took many years of toil to work my way into teaching, even having to extend my preliminary credential without having any chance to clear it.

Now we sit here 8 years later, and I feel like I'm in the same place. I will get a pink-slip this year just like I did last year... that year, I felt 80/20 that I'd be back. This year, I would think 50/50 at best. Anyone else feel this way?

3. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Dec 30, 2015

Thankfully I am not fearing for my job at this point. Although I'm a first year teacher on a limited contract, it looks like our grade level is actually going to add an additional teacher next year because numbers are high in 4th grade (I teach 5th).

I do have some of the same concerns as you though. I have done a lot of reading and research that supports an imminent economic crises sometime in 2016.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2015

There is a shortage in my area. I just hope we're able to fill all of our positions with quality people. This year, we started the school year with openings. Luckily they were all filled within a month of school starting.

Although I'm certainly not worried about having a job, I do constantly worry about being able to keep living in my current city with my salary (this is a huge contributor to the shortage). People are moving here so fast that builders can't keep up and landlords are charging whatever they want and getting away with it, along with the price of just about everything (groceries, entertainment, etc.) going up. My apartment complex just got taken over by new management and I started to worry when they began "making improvements." The rent they are charging people moving in is about 300 per month higher than my current rent, so I'm thinking I will need to look into moving when my lease is up. The problem is, the prices are that high everywhere. I already live deep into the suburbs because I can't begin to afford anything near downtown...I just don't know that there is anywhere else to go! The salary does not at all match the COL here and we have not gotten a raise in years. In fact, this year we took a cut.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 31, 2015

My district destaffs school by school, not district-wide (so going by seniority, I'm only compared to teachers in my building, not the district as a whole). There's no danger at all I'll get destaffed... the thing I'm worried about is that my district would compare me both to SPED and general ed teachers... in other words, because of my SPED experience, they could end up destaffing a SPED teacher and moving me into that position, whether me or my administrator likes it or not. That isn't super likely, but it is possible since two of the newest teachers on staff are SPED teachers. Luckily there are gen teachers newer than me that also have dual certification, so they'd have to do far more destaffs than our school has ever had before to get so far back that I'd get shifted to SPED.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 31, 2015

Curious: Are you
    Curious: Are you teaching in a major metropolitan area or more rural? I teach and live in SoCal, so what you say hits close to home. Where I live, my rent eats up 1/3 of my income every month. It isn't easy to live (near where I work), and actually build savings.

As for the climate, I'm surprised that others aren't seeing the potential. It is interesting to me too, because I heard/read about all the baby-boomers who were poised to retire in '08 who had to hang in a few years longer as a result of the economy. It is now "a few years later", and you would think those people would now be saying "I can retire now"... along with all the other people who would regularly choose to retire (at this time). In effect, we should be seeing a large wave of retirements. I don't know that I see it. (i.e. the Baby Boomer Effect)

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2015

Being worried in California seems unnecessary. Our tax receipts are higher than they've been in a decade. Schools have more money now than at any point since I started 13 years ago. My district hasn't pink slipped in 4 years and this year hired a TON of new people. I am not in an affluent district by any stretch (we only topped San Bernardino and the central valley in test scores last year). This year they are throwing money around like never before simply because they have so much of it. Nationally, unemployment is down to near 5% and the interest rate is up for the first time since forever. The economy feels way worse than it actually is since wages haven't grown.

Now, if you want to worry about not having a pension in 20 years that is completely reasonable.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 31, 2015

We hired a ton of new teachers this year. Additionally, the district office brought a handful of head honchos (Directors of xyz) on board.

We haven't pink slipped anyone since I got one back in 2011. That year, everyone with my hire date was pink slipped.

Like @Rockguykev mentioned, something I worry about is not having a pension! I've been with my district for 10 years and would love to retire at 30 years of service. Who knows if that'll be possible, though.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 31, 2015

So Cal is still doing pink slips?? Good grief! I am actually surprised to hear that. I know the market is notoriously much tougher down there (I came from there), but I didn't know there were still layoffs.

I got out of So Cal and I'm in northern CA now (not Bay Area), and we are actually experiencing somewhat of a shortage. There is definitely a shortage in some content areas, like secondary math and science. They've started hiring emergency credentials again. Class sizes are lowering in K-3 in a lot of districts, so there's going to be a lot of hiring going on next year, and I'm not sure there are enough people to fill the jobs. Enrollment in credential programs has (understandably) gone way down.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 31, 2015

We have a teacher shortage here. I don't worry about losing my job, because in my school I have seniority over 6 other teachers in one of my subjects, and I'm the most senior teacher of another subject, so I should be good. But in reality, we have uncertified teachers in positions all over the district, so I would have a job somewhere.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 31, 2015

Teacher shortage in my area, so I have no concerns. I am grateful for that. My school system will be doing a ton of hiring before next fall.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2015

I'm in a large city.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 31, 2015

Speaking of which, do you do a 403b?

I have a 403b set up--I ended up just doing $200/mo. on a fixed rate (it was explained to me that I could do that, go conservative with my investment plan, or be very aggressive... I chose the fixed because I don't know any better). I have been researching a bit more now, where I've read how 403b are NOT a smart plan for most teachers (particularly beginning teachers?).

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2016

In this area there has always been chronic teacher shortages. Districts have many, many openings that go unfilled each year. The problem is that this is an area that sees thousands and thousands of new people each year and schools can't really keep up with the new students.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 1, 2016

I'm in my tenure year with new AP, P, and super. I really don't know if I'll be re-hired or not. I'm just staying out of trouble and teaching.

DressageLady likes this.
  16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2016

I do pay into a 403b and have for awhile. I too chose the fixed option with the plan to change it once I got to look into it more. Upon doing so I didn't see much I liked. I make almost no interest on the plan I'm currently on. I think the only reason it isn't presented as a "smart plan" is that you are simply not going to make the types of returns you would with other investments. That said, the ease of use (payroll deduction and all that) plus the tax benefits seem like a fine additional to a larger portfolio.

I've decided that instead of boosting any contributions to that fund I'm going to put any additional savings into a private fund like those from Vanguard. They too haven't grown massively in the last few years (almost everything is down for this year) but over time they have much better and largely consistent growth rates.

17. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 2, 2016

No, we can't even fill long-term assignments, and who would want to work in urban schools? We just had an e-mail that our math teacher won't be returning in the new year.

otterpop likes this.
  18. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

Long term assignments are the worst IMO... substitute pay to do what a regular teacher does! Schools should pay close to teacher salary if they want quality long term subs.

BioAngel and Linguist92021 like this.
  19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 4, 2016

We're having trouble filling teacher positions, so no danger of losing positions here in NorCal. Our District seems to be rolling in the dough at the moment as well, especially for a district that historically been really broke.

Our main issue is enrollment, but I think it's mostly just affecting our school. People initially flooded to our school because they believed we were the feeder to the charter school. People are now realizing that it doesn't work that way with the charter, so our enrollment has been dropping.

20. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2016

Enrollment is down in the public schools where I am, too...there are apparently lots of factors, including a myriad of new options (charters, private schools) as well as the high cost of living which is driving out low and middle-income families.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 5, 2016

Our district has some small budget issues, but I was told that one way they usually avoid teacher layoffs is that they don't fill vacancies, they move things around.
    Having said that I'm not fearing for my job. Even though this is only my 3rd year I already have seniority over quiet a few teachers. I have seniority over an English teacher, so that should work. (our district is tiny) I'm also going through a process that will certify me to teach science at any alternative education setting. It's basically 2 online classes through LACOE, about 3 months total, I'm almost done with the 1st class. The district paid for it, I just had to sign something that says that I'm not leaving the district for an X amount of years (3 or 4 I don't remember) otherwise I have to pay it back.
    My P suggested this, she said if I have English and Science credential I will not have to worry, pretty much ever.

22. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2016

Linguist, that was a smart move -- I know Science is always in demand. I have been thinking about getting serious about adding Spanish since that is more consistent than French. Between English, French, and Spanish, I would be pretty safe!

23. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 9, 2016

Yup. They hired a couple of new teachers last year, so I do have a small amount of seniority. I'm not tenured yet, so I don't know a year seniority would make a huge difference if it came down to cutting people. Jobs are drying up in my area and a lot of families are being forced to move.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 9, 2016

Private schools tend to hold on to faculty members that fit well in their community. If you fit well and the budget can support your salary, they will keep you. If you don't fit well and the budget is getting low, they will lay you off. This has been my experience.

If parents aren't sending their kids to private schools, unecessary positions are cut, we all take on a little more work, etc. Right now we are having a hard time filling grades k-2, but after 3rd grade we seem perfectly okay and have stabilized from the recession. It's hard in private school - we are expected to keep small classes (around 15 students - although my school will go up to 20 but that's almost unheard of) but don't want to pay the high tuition to keep it that small.

I try to learn new skills and be willing to work on new projects. I've been at my school for 6 years now - I now am the science curriculum coordinator for k-6, have one of the busiest teaching schedules, am running a science and engineering club, homework helper club after school, and 2 STEAM events, plus I provide tech support for my faculty and create schedules for school events and concerts. All those extra things besides being the science teacher, imo, keep me safe from being laid off. I still work my butt off (and I have to with all of those roles), but am happy to take on one more thing to help the community out.

25. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 9, 2016

We so need an awesome French and Spanish teacher at my school. My P hired one part-time this year (to become full time if it works out after a year) and she's a doll but has zero classroom management skills. I'm worried about her returning because of some incidents in her classroom :(