Anyone else exhausted? (Vent)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by really?, Dec 1, 2008.

1. really?

really? Rookie

Dec 1, 2008

I'm just lurking around before I have to finish up some real work. I can't stop thinking about an incident this afternoon in the office.

We are only allowed 250 copies a year in the office; the rest should go to the copy center. I try to send things out ahead of time, but some things just aren't finished ahead of time. I'm a third-year high school English teacher, so the beginning of the year was easier than the past two years. Now, though, I'm starting a new novel I've never taught before--Fahrenheit 451. I'm trying to adapt literary circles to this novel. This has taken some work to find what I need and figure out what I'm doing. Well, the principal caught me making the copies, and I feel bad about letting him down. Let me say that I've gone way over the amount allowed.

I am so exhausted that I feel like crying (stupid, I know). I had night class tonight, and now I will put together my packets for tomorrow. I have about 70-some formal literary analysis papers to grade--sometime. I have to figure out what I'm doing for this novel unit, write a paper for my research class, and the list goes on and on as all of you know. On top of that, I'm the speech and debate coach and my kids are not working to the best of their ability.

Sorry this is long. I just needed to get this out--like confession, I guess. :)

I hope Christmas break gets here soon!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

We've all done that - sometimes you just have to forge ahead to get your lessons ready, even though you know there are more economical or appropriate ways to get the material.

I'm sitting here with a pile of essays and some odd tests to grade, a bunch of grades I need to enter into the online grading program, and a rather large final project for a grad class that's due this Thursday that I haven't even begun yet. I'm thinking of taking Thursday off so I can get everything done. Oh, and on Friday my kids are going to be filming scenes from Macbeth, and I don't have all the equipment ready yet.

But only 14 more school days before Christmas break - YAY! :)

4. really?

really? Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

Thanks for the reply, Mrs. K. I just needed to get that out! I hope your grading goes swiftlly and your "to do" list is completed soon.

I had a better day today. The literature circle thing I tried astounded me, actually. I was able to watch it unfold, and I saw them engaged in the reading and discussing what they read--I almost teared up! I don't know if it will continue like this, but today was good.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2008

I coached S&D for 18 years-- people have NO IDEA how much time it consumes!!!!

My sympathy on all the rest. It has a way of catching up with you at this time of year.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 2, 2008

Hang in there, Really.
    I think the "countdown" that occurs before winter break adds an element of "I'm never going to make it!" to the ol psyche.
    For me, my time of exhaustion is that period between winter break and spring break. It is during this time that I remind myself how lucky I am to have any breaks at all from my job ... my husband takes off maybe a total of 5 all year because of the way his vacation is dispursed and the demands of his job.

I've only been in the classroom a year longer than you. And, while I think I was successful my first couple of years ... in year 4 I am really humming along at a good pace. For you, I hope this means that it DOES get easier every year. I'm finally starting to believe that.

You've got a lot on your plate, hang in there ... sounds like you are doing a great job.

As for getting "caught" at the copier. Stuff like that happens, you weren't being devious about it, you know better next time, your boss will likely never mention it (may not have even noticed it) ... I'm trying to think of all the things to say to make you feel better. :)

7. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 2, 2008

250 / year??? I've made more than that in one day.

Just this week I got the horrible news that we're now only allowed to make up to 50 copies of the same thing. Anything more and it's supposed to go to the copy centre. No problem. Even if I'm using the same handout I'll just change a few words for each class and never have to make more than 33 of the same sheet.

8. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Dec 2, 2008

The fact that you are staying creative and working out the kinks is awesome. My first 5 years as an English teacher were the toughest. Now that I have a "bag of tricks" planning is much easier and less experimental. Oh, and I admire your persistence at staying creative AND taking night classes...coaching is coaching, and many of us have to do that to make the college loan payments and rent...

You will most likely go crazy when you finish your classes and won't know what to do after you catch up on missing sleep, so relish this busyness now! I just took a part time job at a local pizza/deli shop to stay busy...

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 2, 2008

ELA 11 12 - Your location- Behind my shed stealing firewood??? What???? Are you cold??? That's too funny!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 2, 2008

You have my sympathies, it does get easier. It takes years of serious efficacy to really know what works and then admin will change either the skills or standards. Then you can look forward to NCLB or some other Federal or State interference will try to nip you in the bud. Good teaching doesn't really change though, everything else might, trust your instincts. Experience is something you can't buy.

Plan on doing something relaxing during your Christmas break, indulge yourself. You deserve it.

Protect your health.

11. really?

really? Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

Thanks for all of the kind words. You are all so encouraging! And I do know things will get easier. I know this year is easier than the last two. I did make plans for a weekend getaway with my husband the weekend before Christmas. After that I will just have two more days until break!