Anyone else enjoying a 5-day weekend due to wind chill and MLK?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 16, 2009

I am. :D

Yesterday we had a wind chill of -24 and they called it off today too due to wind chill.

I love being a teacher.

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jan 16, 2009

Nope!! Our windchills yesterday in ND were in the -40s*F. Right now the temp is -9* and the windchill is -30*. We have teacher inservice on Monday so no long weekend for me. :)

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 16, 2009

4-day weekend here.

Yesterday and today were called b/c of the temps. We have school Monday though.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

I'm enjoying a four day weekend.

6. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jan 16, 2009

I'm enjoying a 4-day weekend! We had a 2-hr delay due to the windchill yesterday, and then today a cancellation due to the windchill, and we're off for MLK on Monday.
    I'm presently trying to figure out how I'm going to manage getting in today's testing with the 4-day plans for next week.
    Hmmm...

7. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

Yep...5 day weekend...However, this is now 4 days that are added on to our school year. Apparently, they don't set aside any snow days. We have had 3 this year and also have to make up Election. They needed our school for a polling place and this was not planned either. Oh well...I really don't want to leave the house anyway!

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

Same here.

9. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

4 day weekend due to having Thursday and Friday off. We also had Tuesday off though.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2009

Me!!! Me!!! *waving hands wildly*

We had snow Wednesday night, so we were out Thursday. Then yesterday afternoon they called school for today due to cole temps and remaining snow. We're already out Monday. Looks like there is a chance of snow on Monday, so I might get out on Tuesday, too.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

I have a 5 day weekend. I enjoy the time off, but there are two main reasons I don't want to take any more days off. 1. We have testing in 6 weeks. 2. I don't want to spend my entire summer break making up snow days.

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 16, 2009

Me! However, we have one snow day left. None of them have been used for snow though, wind storm knocking out power and then a windchill day today. I'm taking graduate classes this summer and they start right after we get out of school. I'd hate to miss the first couple classes b/c we were making up snow days!

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

We've had a couple of off days because of cold weather too. If we have too many snow days, they start taking away remaining teacher inservice days before tagging them on at the end of year.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

4-day weekend here.

We missed 4 or 5 days (depending on which building you were in) due to the windstorm this fall. We'll be tacking any snow days on to the end of the year. I don't mind, though. I don't have the same testing/curriculum pacing concerns as older grades. And I value the "bonus days off" in the winter more than a few lost days of June.

15. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

Just get me back to school already- ugh I just enjoyed a long enough Christmas break and now have to deal with more time off again. I'm ready to roll!

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 17, 2009

INTERESTING! I was telling my husband the other day, "People in North Dakota would laugh at our wind chills and call us babies for calling off school." Man, I don't know how you guys do it. Do kids walk to school in those kinds of temps? We're not used to this kind of wind chill and our kids don't dress properly for the weather even when it's 30 degrees out. They'll wear shorts!

Those of you worrying about making up the time in the summer --- wouldn't you rather make the last week longer when it's winding down and NICE OUTSIDE? I would. When it's this cold, I just wanna curl up in a blanket on my couch and not move.

We don't have reserved snow days here. We'll be making up the days later. And I say bring 'em on. :)

17. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jan 17, 2009

I live in Louisiana right near the coast and I think I would DIE in temperatures like that. Yesterday it was 40 degrees here with a windchill in the 30s and I thought I was going to freeze to death. I don't even have a real coat. I would never make it there!! We had our first snow since 1989 last month and though it was awesome, I would never want to deal with that every single day. We have a 4 day weekend... yesterday was professional development and monday we are off for MLK, Jr. day. Good luck in those colldd temperatures!

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jan 17, 2009

Yup...5 day weekend for me :). Many of our students walk to school, so I imagine that was a large factor. I do no look forward to adding these days at the end of the year...ugh.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2009

It's 67 degrees here with a wind chill that makes it feel...well, 67 degrees.

Friday was a teacher workday and Monday is a staff development day, though :)

20. firehen

firehen New Member

Jan 17, 2009

Last week, we were closed Monday due to black ice and then closed Friday due to wind chill. Sometimes, there ARE advantages to living in the midwest!:thumb: