Anyone else burnt out?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by leighbball, Jun 6, 2006.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

I am so burnt out right now. I only have 11 school days left, but I may not make it. My kids are so bad and my administration is not supporting anyone at all. I am just so tired and stressed. I go home every night and cry. I just want the year to be over. I hate that I feel like this. Sigh.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

I was very stressed at the end of this year. It wasn't so much the kids, but the grade change and one of my co-workers. I'm in my summer now, though, I've been out for more than a week. I can already feel the difference. Try and make it these last few days. Summer will here before you know it and you'll have time to catch your breath before you make any decisions. Good luck!!!

4. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

I have three days left and I'm wondering if I'm going to make it. Certain children are just driving me out of my mind right now and I really don't want to be around them for three more days. I have a student I've had a personality conflict with all year and he won't be able to walk out that door fast enough the last day. He has done nothing but take up space in my room for the entire year - which is probably why he'll be in the same grade next year (but I won't)!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2006

3 days....I have 13!!! I can't wait for it to be over!!!

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 6, 2006

"Tie a knot and hold on tight" You can make it. Don't give up. My school has been out for a couple weeks. I wish I could drop in and help you out to the end. You're almost to the top of the mountain.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

leigh, what are you doing next year? Are you returning or looking for a new school to work at?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2006

16 and a half days to go! I sometimes wonder if we will all make it out the other end alive! My reports are due in the office next Thursday so then (maybe) we can relax a bit. I thought ahead and booked the T.V. for the second last day of school--we can have a "Popcorn and a Movie" morning. I have to start my class yearbook next week--that always keeps them busy for awhile!

9. moomoo8960

moomoo8960 Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

I am also burnt out!!!!!! But I do know there is light at the end of the tunnel. My kids are crazy and my patient is gone but I am going to hold on tight and please do the same.
    Make sure you take some time for yourself this summer because you deserve it!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

Its so good to know I'm not alone...I just have no patience or anything left in me at this point. I don't even want to write out my lesson plans anymore:-(

Jamie- I plan to stay at my school, but I am submitting my resume to another district (closer to me...I currently have a 45 min commute) that has several openings. I am not telling anyone at my school that I might be leaving, but I am keeping my options open.

The hard part about thinking of leaving is that I have so much ahead of me next year and parents requested me and such. I'm very involved with the PTA and district-wide committees...and I only have one more year until tenure. I'm hoping that if I stay, next year will be much better, but I'm just trying to make it to June 21 at this point.

11. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

Patience, what's that? At 12:20 on Friday, I am going to celebrate. And pray that I never have another year like this one again!

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2006

I have little left...but I was just thinking that with only 2 and a half weeks left its not that bad......
    AT my old job I was feeling like this in April......thank goodness I am in a new school!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

Don't be mad at me, but I'm not burnt out and I work year round. I had a good group this year...so that makes a huge difference. You'll soon see those wild ones out the door and will feel free again!!!!

14. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Jun 6, 2006

I can totally relate! We have 3 weeks left, and I am almost counting the minutes already. I'm moving 1 week after I'm done with work, so I'm really stressed and busy with that too. Hang in there; you're not alone! :)

15. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

I'm with you in spirit sister. We have 7 days left....I thought I would help the days go faster by cleaning up the walls today. Then I had a bad run in with a couple of teachers. One of them apologized but still the words were said and I have hurt feelings. I really respect these teachers so I'm feeling down in the dumps. :(

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

I hope I never have a job that makes me feel like you guys do.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2006

Grammy, in spite of my frustration, I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. We have had a very trying year this year, with a multitude of professional and personal difficulties to overcome as a staff. I love my students and will be "blubbering like an idiot" when I say good-bye on the last day. I love the teachers I work with, the school and most of the parents. I think I'm ready for a rest. Life at home has also been very stressful, and there is no sign of that easing in the next 6 months or so. I just need some "me-time" and that need is presenting itself as frustration with my students--so I am doing something about it. I have a day working in the school today (away from my students) planning some Shared Reading activities with another teacher, and next week I have booked a day off to finish my report cards ( in our contract we get 2 half days each year for this sort of thing). The time in a different atmosphere will do me a world of good!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2006

MrsC, I'm happy for you, that you are getting some time to relax. I think it's important to know our limits and hopefully all of you can do something to "feel better!" My personal life is far more stressful (at this time,) than my professional life. At least I can leave my work behind me! I know what you mean though about a particular tough year at school. There is one year in particular that stands out. I literally cried when I got home and had nightmares. It was due to some of my students. Ironically, where I work, my summers are worse than the school year. We are less structured and I have more kids in my class because no one is going off for Headstart, etc. They're all mine, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week!!! We will be outside a LOT!!! We even do our art projects outside! Anyway, I hope all of you have a great summer and will be chatting on the forum with us!!!!!

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2006

I can totally relate to what you guys are going through. I was there just a short time ago. After they were released I felt as if a weight were lifted off my chest. I am much more relaxed now and I feel better. Hang in there folks! You can do it! 2,4,6,8, Who do we appiciate? YOU!

20. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jun 7, 2006

I understand burnt out. I have been this way since April. And I have about 14 days left.......

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2006

I am jumping and flailing my arms while holding pompoms. "You can do it if you try!V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!" Ouch! I think I just twisted my ankle. I never claimed to be coordinated. You're almost there! Don't give up!

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2006

Run..........I hope you didn't have those scissors in your hand while you were cheering!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!:eek:

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2006

No they were in my pocket.

24. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Jun 7, 2006

I agree. I'm burnt out and tired, but a lot of it has to do with my knowing I'm leaving soon and trying to get ready to move. My work environment isn't exactly positive (there are a lot of very unhappy teachers here), and while it's been easy to tolerate when I knew I had to, I've lost patience for it now that I know I'm leaving. It's really not the kids at all, but it's hard having enough energy for their end of the year behavior when there are so many other things going on.

25. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jun 7, 2006

I was like this last school year! My class list was shuffled so much that the second grade teachers apologized to me and said they didn't submit that class to our principal. I did have a great year with this year's class, though. They made me fall in love with teaching again. I hope that next year's crew does the same for you.

26. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Jun 7, 2006

Hehehehe...too funny!!!

I was a little bit burned out at the end, I've been off of work for almost 2 weeks. But I too love my job. I miss the kids already! Dig deep and keep pushing. It's almost over!

27. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 8, 2006

For the first time in my teaching career, I was counting down the days. Typically, I would be shocked to find out that there was one week left. Not this year, I was ready to be done. So, yes, I was burnt out. We've been out of school since May 26th and I love it!! I absolutely needed to regroup! I am starting to think about next year already so that's a good sign. :p

28. tinazplace

tinazplace Rookie

Jun 14, 2006

Leigh,

Your post sounds EXACTLY like something I would have written 11 days ago. We just got out of school today (June 14) and I was counting down days since we had 88 left (half a year!).

I have never felt this way before. My previous four years of teaching were FUN and DELIGHTFUL. This last year has been a severe challenge. I am planning to transfer to a different school in my district in order to make a positive change for my career. I really believe that if I can get into a different environment, I will turn back into my old teacher self.

I had some of the same problems too.... lack of support from admin being one of them. Add to that some challenging students (whom I could have handled better with more support) and some vicious parents. I'm so thankful this year is over and done!

Christina

29. dhprior

dhprior New Member

Jun 16, 2006

Leighball - depending on where you are teaching tenure is important. So, if you do change districts that might be something (tenure) you may not be able to attain for several more years. I have just finished my 30th year in one district. Once you attain tenure you're able to voice your opinion without to much fear of ever being fired. Han in there. Don

30. pingsrosie

pingsrosie Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Very burnt out! We have four school days and one professional day after today. My kids aren't what's getting to me, it's the kids in the lunch room (I work cafeteria duty for extra $). Yesterday, one of the special needs kids told me I was fat, ugly, had a big nose, and smelled like sh*t, all because I was trying to break up a fight he was involved in. Oh, well. That's a good lesson in letting it roll off, right?? Now my hubby, on the other hand, wants to meet this kid's parents. can u blame him?? UGH!

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 16, 2006

that would be a downer day for anyone. So did your hubby meet the parents? If so What did he do? That would be an interesting meeting to watch.