Anyone Done a Maternity Leave?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by CFClassroom, Jun 11, 2009.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I'm having twins at the end of the summer and will be out from the start of school through December. I would love some tips from the "sub's perspective" on how I can make this a great experience for my maternity leave sub. Thanks in advance. :)

3. GourdArtist

GourdArtist Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

Congratulations and good luck with your babies! I think giving the sub your lesson plans would be a great help. Since you won't know the kids in your classes, there is not much you can do to prepare the sub for how to deal with specific problem students, but you may tell her what works well for you. I would also explain in detail what discipline procedures your school has in place - the sub needs to be aware and use them immediately. Also, you may want to connect her with another teacher who is helpful and will be able to answer questions along the way. Another thing that may be helpful is staying in touch with the sub - may be an email or a phone call once a week to discuss things that come up.

4. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

As a sub doing a maternity leave, I asked where the teacher expected the students to be when she came back and if there was any special she wanted me to do in the fall. I needed to do some fall work samples and she also had some behavior expectations that I worked on with the kids. I would let the sub know that in advance so that the transition for you is easier. Towards the time when the teacher came back I included her in the emails I sent to families.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

I subbed a maternity leave recently.

What helped me most was having a mentor teacher at the school - mostly to help me with discipline problems. She made herself available to talk to any of my students who presented a challenge and she also showed me exactly how to assign detention.

I communicated with the teacher I was covering by email. This was also very helpful.

Another must is to leave instructions on how you track grades. My teacher used a computer system that was very easy. And she posted the dates that grades and progress reports were due so I knew to prepare.

Also VERY important. Let the sub know your policies on late work, ipods, and cell phones so the students get used to your routine.

6. nycsub

nycsub Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Make sure to leave lots of typed lesson plans for the sub. You should call the school everyday or every other day to find out how the sub and kids are doing. Also, e-mail contact with your sub on a daily basis will help you keep track of what is happening in the classroom. Re-read Special-t's reply.

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I don't think she needs to be in contact with the sub every day. She'll have two new babies at home to take care of. The idea of having a sub, and hopefully a good one, is that she can let the class go to the sub for a little while.

8. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

When I did a LTS for maternity leave I asked the teacher to do more of a weekly lesson plan. What she expected to be covered that week. This way I cuold adjust as things came up. She was really well organized and had sent in class newsletter/station sheets week before each so I could set up accordingly. In a binder I added each thing we did so there wouldn't be any confusion. We also had a binder for grades and she picked it up before report cards to enter.

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I think this varies widely by area. A teacher on maternity leave in my district is not being paid by the district (they receive 60% of their regular salary through employment insurance (a national program) so where I am the answer is nothing. The teacher hands over their schedule to a LTO for the year. They are only the teacher of that class on paper.

10. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

I'm planning my 2 month leave right now. Can any other substitutes give me some helpful hints for things that they really liked or didn't like on a long-term leave?

So far I've created a whole packet with all of my routines, rules, procedures, etc. For example, I say 'Reading - first do the read aloud from X teacher's manual... then dismiss to groups/partners/individual reading...'

I'm working on a list of what to get through, so for example, 'do units 2 and 3 in math, do dino unit in science...' but I'll have to wait until school actually starts to really get that filled in.

I'm making some copies, but not all because I know sometimes schedules change.

What else do subs like to know? Thanks.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 20, 2009

Making yourself available to your sub for any questions or concerns, or just to run things by you, would be a great help. Having done a short-term maternity leave replacement in 6th grade years ago, knowing I had someone who could give me the "crash course" as far as the school routines, personalities of the other teachers, and parents, etc., made my experience better.

Congratulations on your twins!! You have started a new chapter of your life.