anyone doing writers workshop lucy calkins units?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by stellarnite, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stellarnite

stellarnite Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Are you teaching with Lucy Calkins's Writing Workshop Units?
    If so, do you have a unit plan each book?

I'm trying to plan September, "Launching the Writing Workshop" but am so overwhelmed. If you have any suggestions (a month unit plan "day 1: day 2: etc) or plans, I'd really appreciated it!! Thank you!

3. stellarnite

stellarnite Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I didn't mean actual "lesson plans" just like an outline of what you're covering (mini lessons to start w/)

4. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I will be using Lucy Calkins' writer's workshop unit. I started using it toward the end of last year (not beginning with the first book, obviously), and I really do enjoy it.

As far as a planning guide, the way I've done it was to look at the inside cover of the book to figure out what teaching points and suggestions that she will be focusing on and go from there. I didn't do each an every lesson, and her way of doing things often varies for me in my classroom. For example, I might skip around and do lessons 1, 3, 4, 11, and 12 so that I am getting the stuff that I want, but I always do it in order as it is in the book -- does that make sense? This allows you to customize it for your kids.

I've been through 2.5 of the books in the series, and this strategy works well. Let me know if I did not answer your question. :unsure:

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Mcangel....I am in the same boat as you! I started the end of last year and now I am starting the year out with the first book. Is there anything you aren't using....Is there anything you plan on adding to it...Were you trained or just given the books? Thanks again!!

6. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I was sorta tranined - We had a "book study" of the series at my school and each teacher that participated got to check out a set of the books for the year; the IRT and another teacher faciliated our meetings (there were about 10 meetings) and asked guiding questions and activities. I felt very familiar with her style and I like it -- even though it is written in an "ideal" form. I started with the first book, "Launching the Unit" and used most of the lessons, however, I am not using her last book (#6 - I can't think of the name of it at the moment), and I am adding different things here and there to meet my style and the needs of the kids. Many other teachers that were a part of the book study are using the book cover to cover, so it can be done!