Anyone do "The Daily Five?"

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by adellesmama, Jul 25, 2007.

1. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Hi everybody! :)

I am a first-year teacher and was wondering if anyone uses The Daily Five literacy/writing program in their classroom...and if so, does it work well for you, do you like it better than what you did before, do the kids enjoy it? etc. etc.

I just started reading the book and I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to implement it in my room.

:thanks:

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

I finished the book this summer and am really excited to implement it in my room. I went to a workshop of "the sisters" a few years ago and really enjoyed it. They are really knowledgeable. However, I didn't really try it back then; I just don't know if I felt comfortable enough to try something that big. However, I plan on doing it this year. If you do it as they say, I can't see how it could go wrong. Lost of modeling and practice. Kids need that.

4. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I'm using the Daily 5 this year! I attended a study group/trial implementation last year and loved it! I'm excited to use it this year.
    My students seemed to enjoy it, and I loved not having to plan out a bunch of centers.
    Some teachers that were in the study group are waiting until October to start, but several others (including me!) are starting in the first week of school.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I started using the Daily 5 last year and I love, love, love it! I followed the book pretty closely, and did everything about the same way they said to, and the kids loved it. They loved being able to choose their activities, having their own bin, and working independently. I'm absolutely using it again. It's catching on rather quickly at my school, and even the Kindergarten teachers are using it!

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Awesome!! I am excited to use it too. I went to the workshop but never really did anything with it. I'm also the type of person who likes to start things at the beginning of the year with my kiddos. I don't like to add things mid-stream.

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I started it in about November, but it still worked out great. The book gives such clear ideas and directions for implementing it and explaining it to the kids. It give day by day directions. It also is such a relief not to have to plan centers! It doesn't require any daily prep work, and it gives me a good 45 minute block to do my guided reading.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

That's why I like it too, mrs100. No planning of centers even though the ones I used just took about 10 minutes to put together. I am excited to try the Daily 5. I read the book this summer and tabbed all the areas I need to revisit before school starts.

9. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

mrs100 and others... what does your Daily 5 "block" look like on your schedule (timing, etc.)? Do you have a chunk of time or is the time broken up? How many independent work times do your students have each day (all 5? just 4?)
    I have mine all planned out, but of course I'm starting to second-guess myself... that's what I get for starting my planning too early!

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Because of time, a few teachers that were in the workshop with me a few years ago implemented only 3. They called it the Daily 3.(pretty inovative, huh?) Anyway, I think they did 1. read to self 2. read to someone 3. writing We also did word work during the day but all at the same time. So...I guess they really did 4 things everyday; just not in exactly the same way the book recommends. I suppose it depends on your schedule and how much time you have during the day as to what will work best in your own classroom.

11. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I always start out with the Daily 1: just read to self. Then you add one more once your class is ready. My block last year was from 1:10-2:00. Here's how it looked:
    1:10-1:25 1st block. Students picked their first activity. I started guided reading at about 1:15.
    1:25-1:40 2nd block. I ring the chimes while in guided reading (this took some getting used to. I had to watch the clock while in guided reading. My GR group stayed put, while the other students changed activities on their own.)
    1:40-1:55 3rd block. By now, I'm in my 2nd guided reading group. Again, I rang the chimes while in the middle of guided reading, but the kids never noticed. The rest of the class switched while we continued reading together.
    1:55 I ring the chimes for the last time and ask them to put away their Daily 5 bins and tools.
    One thing I must say is that this is such a CALM and quiet hour! Even when they are switching, I set the expectation right away that it must be done without any talking or noise so that they don't disturb my guided reading group. I got up to the Daily 4 last year because my class just couldn't do the Read to Someone. They were too silly. So they chose what to do on each day. I just loved hearing the 'Aw, man!"'s when they would have to stop reading a book when the chimes rang. They loved it!

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

yea! I finally got the book and read it ALL last night! I am excited to start this the first day of school when they are all ATTENTIVE to the NEW teacher! HA! I am thrilled that it is actually scripted! You don't find that in the "how-to" books very often and really-it is wonderful to hear exactly how they say things!

I had planned on doing Writer's Workshop too, so this will just blend in! I am picturing myself actually walking out of school within reason this year and NOT GOING IN ON THE WEEKENDS TO FIND BUSY WORK FOR CENTERS----well, I didn't actually have busy work--- I leveled everything----but it was a PAIN and I got to the point of resenting center time! I hope this year it is my favorite time of the day because teaching reading is a passion of mine!

13. jegcreations

jegcreations New Member

Aug 8, 2007

Accountability?

I am really interested in the daily five, but I haven't read the book yet (going out tomorrow to get it).

I'm just curious if anyone knows how to hold kids accountable for their work during this time and how to get the kids to practice the specific skills you are teaching during this time.

For example, would you have them do writing with weekly sight words/ write letters to book characters, etc?

What does the book say about all that?

14. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

The book says to let the writing be just free writing-they can write a letter to a friend even. IT is AUTHENTIC practice! I MIGHT slip some formal stuff in there, but I love the authentic writing-kids will WANT to do it. I had kids last year that loved to write cartoon strips! I think I can introduce some different things during the mini-lessons in between each station. I am excited to do grammar during the mini-lessons too-more wholistic presentation. Maybe we can get back on during school and check with each other to see how it is going and be "sisters" like in the books! :)

15. jegcreations

jegcreations New Member

Aug 8, 2007

Sounds great, Patti. I had a teammate who did just "free writing" and she had a prblem with kids spending too much time "making the book" and not enough time doing the actual writing. I told her to leave out some objects/ prompts/etc.

She also had conferences with them to talk about the writing that they created and let them share some with the class. That seemed to help a lot.

Would love to share more about this as the year progresses and (of course) after I read the book tomorrow. I dunno about sisters, though. My scruffiness might get in the way. Would you settle for a brother? :)

-Josh

16. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

Oh Brother Josh! Sorry about that :) Welcome to this site by the way!!!

I will actually have about another 1/2 hour a day that I do more formal writing with the standards required writing assignments...you know...prewrite, draft, etc. etc. The writing during the Daily 5 will be informal-just practice!

BTW-I see a lot of FL teachers on this site. My family and I spent two glorious weeks there this summer. I picked out a million dollar beach house that I would love to have bought! wink wink You all are very lucky to live so close to the beach. It is ....get this...an 18 hour drive for us!

17. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Just like Patti said, the idea in the lower grades it to get kids to enjoy the writing process. In our building starting in third grade, the teachers set a deadline (3 weeks for example) and by the end of that time period, each student must have a completed sample of their writing. That means they can show each of the steps. They put it in a 'Finished' file with their name on it.
    I had a problem with a lot of my kids just wanting to illustrate or staple a book, too. I fixed that by telling them that they could only illustrate the book once it was finished (and I helped determine that). I also explained to the kids that they would be free to choose as long as they were responsible. Sometimes students who were caught drawing instead of writing would be assigned activities for the next day that were more easily monitored.

18. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I am a 3rd year teacher (I taught 2 years of first and am now moving to 2nd). I am also excited to begin the Daily 5 this year. I will be formally implementing the "Daily 4" in my room as I will not be using a listening center for the "Listen to" portion of the time. I will instead be using this time to bring the kids together for snack and read aloud. The purpose behind it remains the same, but I will be able to orally model strategies and lead discussions.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

This is an older thread, but I'm bringing it back up. Have any kindergarten teachers used this? I'm thinking of implementing into my classroom, but I"d like some feedback from anyone in K who may be using it. Thanks!! :)

20. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

I am using the "Daily 5" format for training my second graders to be independent readers/writers. We are in our 2nd week of school and it is going fabulously well!:)

21. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

We have two Kindergarten teachers who use it. They just do the Daily 3. Their students rotate between Read to Self, Word Work, and Listen to Reading. They love it and the students love it!

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

Thanks mrs100, I was hoping that the k teachers who use it.....love it! I am going to try to get it started in the next week....:)

23. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

Wow! This approach is amazing! I started guided reading today and had NO TALKING in the background as the kids Read to Self! It was wonderful to concentrate on the group! My class really likes it! We are already up to 14 minutes! They also like Read to Someone- up to 7 minutes on that. I have been teaching them the things that I want them to do during Word Work and Writing, so haven't implemented those yet. I wish I would have done this last year!

24. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

I am the original poster and I just really love this! It is working so well in my class!

25. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

This is my 2nd year using Daily 5 in my 2nd grade classroom, and I have to brag... We have been in school 14 days and we already go the full 45 minutes! It's amazing! I was lucky to get 21 kids who love independence and can follow directions to the T! So far we do Read to Self, Writing, and Word Work. Does anyone have other ideas for Word Work? I do white boards, magnetic letters and words, stamps, string, play doh, chalk, and letter beads. What else have you used that works?

26. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 11, 2007

We are implementing the Daily 5 in my first grade classroom. We have only been doing it for 2 days (I didn't start it until 2 days into school) and it seems to be going well. We are still working on stamina.

27. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

It's going pretty well in my classroom too...it's been 10 days and we're up to 12 minutes of read to self and 6 minutes of work on writing! A bit of noise during work on writing, but they're getting better!

28. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Haha, writing is noisier for us, too! Does anyone use the Lucy Calkins writing series? That is awesome as well and I highly recommend it! I used it in 1st grade last year and now am using it in 2nd grade.

29. parentdopey

parentdopey New Member

Aug 9, 2008

I like your schedule. Did you emplement writing into your daily 5? HOw did you do it? At our school we teach a writing mini lesson and everyone writes at the same time (so it would not be a choice of when they want to write), while they write we go around and have writing conferences. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tina

30. parentdopey

parentdopey New Member

Aug 9, 2008

Yes, we use Lucy Calkins writing. I want to try the daily 5 but I don't know how to fit writing into it.
    Tina

31. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I use both Lucy caulkins and Daily 5, but keep them separate. We consider Daily 5 literacy time and writer's workshop is a different time completely. They may choose to work on things from writer's workshop during Daily 5, but we don't do mini lessons on writing during Daily 5. I hope that makes sense...:)